THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Alex, I forgot to mention the piriformis stretch...hmm...still struggling with that one. Lying down flat I can get my left foot onto the shinof my right leg independantly, the same standing up. Sitting up is a different matter. Sitting with my back up against the wall, legs straight, I can heel slide my good knee towards my body no problem. Try it with the left side and I am still leaning backwards when that knee begins to move. I try so hard not to fall backwards as much but it always a real struggle still.

Done some more one legged squats today and I am even better than yesterday, hardly any wobbling at all now. Have been looking into the bosu, the ones on Amazon are massive so perhaps thats not what I was using, the one I used was just about half the size of a football, think they have a different name.
 
Have you tried the piriformis stretch that Jo describes here?
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/
It's somewhat different than the ones we've talked about in the past. I think that might help.

The Bosu ball is huge. It's like one of those big stability balls sawed in half. That's one reason why I don't have one. No where to put it and I already have a regular stability ball.

I'm glad the squats are going well for you. Next step is to try it with your eyes closed.
 
Alex, I canot really do the one jo describes either, my knee doesn't come that far towards my body really to even try to point it towards the opposite shoulder but I have been doing that just pulling my knees to my body. Is it best to lie flat whilst doing this one as I seem to get a better stretch when I lift my shoulders towards my knee but I worry that this is not the best thing to do?

Got an interesting letter today from the National Joint Registry inviting me to take part in a research project...I quote 'to find out whether problems with the natural shape of the hip joint(congenital hip dislocation), that cause arthritis, can be predicted by looking at a sample of DNA taken from the saliva'

It is to help them understand why some people have problems with hip joint shape and how it might be better treated.

Just have to fill in a form and they will send me a pot for saliva sample.....eughhhh...
 
I think it's up to you if you want to lift your shoulders. Unless it hurts your back, there is no harm in it.

That thing you used for PT that was not a Bosu... was it a Fit Disc? Those are interesting, if you're looking for a new exercise toy.

Are you going to share saliva with that study? That sounds interesting if they get useful information from that.
 
Thanks Alex, it does feel as if it is doing more of a stretch when I curve my back. Just searched for the balancy thing, it is a balance hedgehog, it made one legged squats much harder, I was wobbling all over the place at first and that was with holding ont the rail but it is very good for aiding stability. I the fit disc like a balance board? I done that too whilst throwing a ball up high at the wall and catching it, I liked that one even though I did fall off.

As for closing my eyes whilst squatting...haha..I can't even stand on operated leg with eyes closed for more than two seconds and can't do it on good leg for much longer.

Yes, I am going to share saliva. I have a form to fill in with weight, height, country of birth etc, I sign agreement form and they send the pot.

Would be very interesting to find out what they discover from my DNA but there is no follow up after sending sample.
 
The Fit Disc is like a round, semi-inflated air pillow. It's bumpy on one side and smooth on the other. Does that make sense? Maybe you should google it.

Training yourself to stand on one leg is a good way to improve balance and decrease the risk of falling. That was one of the things I got to work on in PT. I hated it.

Are they going to share the results of that study with you? I'm curious to know what they learn.
 
The fit disc looks similar to the balance hedgehog. Think I might actually get one as it will help even more with my strengthening methinks.

They are going to compare DNA of hip problem patients with DNA of the general population and also may ask the hospital for copies of my Xrays. The results will be presented at scientific meetings in the UK and overseas. My saliva is considered a 'gift' and I will not be paid.haha.

I won't be given any feedback unfortunately, thats the thing isn't it, would be good to find out what they have learnt, if anything from the study
 
There are lots of things you can do with one of those balance trainers. You can even use it as a cushion to train your stabilizers while you sit.

Let's get back to your piriformis. Remember the Dreaded Side Leg Lift? Are you pretty good at that by now? What if you keep your leg internally rotated through the entire motion? So, toes pointed down, heel toward the ceiling. Raise slowly, lower slowly. Remember to keep your pelvis stacked. How does that work for you? I'm trying to get an idea of the strength of your piriformis.
 
Hiya Alex alexthecat, yes I can manage the side leg lift no bother at all. Have tried it as you described and can do that. There is an urge to bend my knee as it rises but I can resist that.
 
How hard is it with the internal rotation? Could you do 20 or 30 reps of that without bending your knee?
 
Just done thirty, got difficult after about twenty but I carried on
 
Well, that's good news!

When you do the ankle-on-knee piriformis stretch, where is the limitation to your ROM coming from? Is it deep in the hip or more superficial or in your back or somewhere else?
 
Oo that's a hard one Alex, I think it is my muscles really as my hubby can get it higher than I can when I try myself. I don't know exactly how high as I am wary of getting him to push it too much. I am definitely improving very very slowly. Pre op I couldn't get my left foot onto my right shin standing up but I can now. When I do that the pull is in back inner thigh, it is very taught there.
 
It's great to hear it's good that I can do the side leg lift thing :yahoo: I guess that means I am not a lost cause!
 
I don't think anyone is ever a lost cause!

Try this one... lie on your back, legs straight, externally rotate THR leg, and lift. How does that work for you?
 
That's an interesting one alex, when I do it with my right leg I can feel in my top inner thigh the movement but although my foot is turning when I do it on my left side I cannot feel any movement in top inner thigh. Putting my hand on my right thigh I can feel it actually move. No movement to feel on the left.
 
What if you do a standing version of that externally rotated leg lift? Do those upper inner thigh muscles do anything then?

You know, I been assuming this whole time that you had a posterior THR. Am I wrong about that?
 
Got an interesting letter today from the National Joint Registry inviting me to take part in a research project...I quote 'to find out whether problems with the natural shape of the hip joint(congenital hip dislocation), that cause arthritis, can be predicted by looking at a sample of DNA taken from the saliva'


Just have to fill in a form and they will send me a pot for saliva sample.....eughhhh...
Hi Ann,

Hey, I want to spit in the pot too and be in the study -- will they take an American girl???

If there is a point of contact maybe you could share this in a separate post so that others can participate as well, how fascinating!!

Also, glad to hear that your back is feeling better and that maybe it was that squishy little elephant...

Carry on with the stretches, I am enjoying watching as you progress!!! I will share one thing, and this may totally not be an issue for you Ann. When I did the side lying leg lift I was also using my back muscles and was instructed to tighten my tummy and to gently yet firmly push my hip towards my foot --
to try to isolate the hip/glute muscles and not involve the back... Something to do with all those years of having two different length legs and how I'd compensated with other muscles. (I keep both legs straight, unlike this guy). Do ignore if this is not your issue -- probably more of my anomaly profile....

Take care,
Cardie
 
Me too Ann, I would love to take part in the study... :)
 
C Mac; and Poppet, shame but this study is just for the National joint registry peeps which I am presuming is just the UK...but I could,be wrong. Will be interesting to see if any other forum members get an invite but perhaps it is only directed at those of us with dysplasia as it did mention that in the letter.

After the spitting I doubt I will hear back from them again, nor hear the results unless I google it, will have to try and remember.

Alex alexthecat, with the standing version, am I lifting my leg to the front or the side please? Tried it both ways and the muscles didn't respong too well either. Think I need to go back to basics doing the leg lifts done the way I learned at the beginning and your new way too. I'm thinking I really need to strengthen my quads and this will help do it ...am I right? :)

It has beensooo cold here this weekend, you know when your thighs sting like crazy when you are out walking it is so cold but the fab thing is I felt not a jot of pain in my hip, even on a hour walk, now that is what I call pure delight :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom