Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
C Mac. Hey Cardie..me too. That's how I discovered I was flinging my good foot around. Do you and Anniepops have trouble kneeling? I still can't sit back on my heels so child's pose is more like butt in the air pose. Funnily enough, I am rather good at squats! Have been lurking and practising.
 
Cardie, it is just as well I have you checking up on me cos the bit about the knees over the feet went totally over my head. There was I concentrating on my foot action, not even looking at my knees and thinking I was doing flipping brilliantly and now............well, lets just say it is a heck of a lot harder doing it the right way.lol. I can really feel it in my bum and back when attempting to do it all correctly. I do like it though :) how is it going for you? Do you geel as if you are improving?

I agree about looking in the shop windows at ourselves walking but when I see myself I just think ughhhh,still find it difficult to watch myself walking. What I need is a massive mirror at the bottom of our garden so I can strut my stuff in private :heehee:

Vicki, it took me absolutely ages to be able to kneel comfortably,I just couldn't get right down there. Think it had a lot to do with my knee problem but I can do it now. Still can't do the childs pose and don't think I ever will be able to do it properly but I am still trying periodically.
 
I had my twelve month check up on Monday. Had xray first then i seen the specialist nurse as I expected. She asked how I was doing and I said my new hip feels brilliant. Told her about the pain in my good hip and she had a look at xray and said that it doesn't look like anything needs to be done there yet.....YET.....you could have knocked me down with a feather at hearing that.....not at all what I expected to hear. I thought it was bothering me just because of it having to adjust to the new hip.

She said there is still a good bit of a gap between the joint and bone but it isn't perfect by a long shot. I asked if it is because of the strain of supporting my bad leg all these years and she said yes. So no more jogging on the spot for me. I am just going to do the floor exercises,yoga stuff and the exercise bike from now on...oh and of course my walking.

She checked my ROM and said it was okay and that because of the congenital issue it is never gonna be great which I agreed with but said I am having a darn good try to improve it even further.
 
Mr.Vida actually installed a super-cheap junkshop mirror in the garden where he wanted to add some depth and interest, he is very creative. Sadly, if I try to prance around out there, I'll drown. Maybe your dearest could do the same, so you could practice? i always think people are watching me perform in shop windows but then I'm paranoid....
 
Hehe, meet ya mate Vicki, I too am paranoid and think people are watching me watching me.lol. Best not prance around if there is a chance you may drown...we don't be wanting that to happen, not after you have gone through all that surgery :heehee:

I think my neighbours would think we had gone mad if we install a mirror in our garden.
 
How about a mirror at the end of a hallway inside? That was one of my physio chores. Walking forwards and backwards while watching in a mirror. I hated it but it did help.
 
Oh I wish I had a long enough hallway to get a decent stretch in Alex. In my house you just get going then you are at the other end. :) It would make a big difference to practise infront of a mirror though. Think I might brave it and get hubby to video me walking....dread the thought but I think I should go for it just so I can have a look.
 
Sorry to interrupt the cute froggy game... :heehee:
:sigh:


I am now obsessed with this squat issue as apparently I am weak like the lady in the picture and my knees were jutting forward when I squat.

Yes, you are weak and probably obsessed too. I really couldn't say. :wink:

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


Here is what happens. As you move deeper into the squat, your stabilizing muscles (such as the gluteus medius) are more challenged. You shift your weight forward to keep from falling on your butt. This causes your knees to jut forward past your toes. That makes the squat seem easier but puts a lot of strain on your knees. We don't want that. The point of sticking your arms out in front of you is to counter-balance your butt sticking out behind. Your muscles still need to be strong enough to control your body weight through the entire squat though.

So, how do you get around this if your glutes aren't yet strong enough to do squats?

You could decrease your range of motion so that your gluteus medius muscles don't have to engage. That's not really ideal though, since you do want to strengthen those.

You could do something like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

You can also do this holding hands with a buddy, if that feels safer.

A page or two ago, Poppet and I were talking about using a table or counter to help keep your balance.

Another option is to use a leg press machine or total gym, so you can work with something less than your total body weight.

Are those enough options? :heehee: I have a lot of them. I also have a lot of clients who try to get out of doing squats. :rolleyes:
 
C Mac. Do you and Anniepops have trouble kneeling? I still can't sit back on my heels so child's pose is more like butt in the air pose.

Vida, you are reaching the point in your recovery where I think consistent stretching would be a real benefit to you. It was for me anyway. I went through a phase of doing hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors, and IT band stretches every day. That made a huge difference for me in keeping my bottom down in child's pose... and also in terms of overall comfort and not walking like a penguin.
 
Hi Ann,

What a good report from your visit and no disrespect intended, but don't you worry too much over what that nurse said about your other hip!! My good hip has had plenty of aches and pains during my recovery time -- muscle related, some when it was compensating for the other hip and then some when it was atrophying away with the rest of my body while I took a long break from activity and then some more when I put it back to work. My left hip is normal and doesn't need a replacement it didn't have the dysfunction -- is your right hip normal too???

I love the mirror in the garden, that is so broken link removed: https://www.feng-shui-vibes.com/feng-shui-mirror-garden.html too!!

I am totally on the theraband squat alexthecat and now I remember that my chiropractor also suggested doing the same while holding on to the door knobs of a door and facing it. I am on the leg press and it's all I can do, sometimes, to keep from adding about 6 plates to my load b/c it's so small to begin with. Why would anyone want to get out of doing squats????

Vida could you do child's pose before your surgery at some point?? If you put something under your bum like this gal
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

then you can relax in to the stretch a bit more while your working on the stretch. I agree with Alex's suggestion to start a daily stretch routine if you are feeling up to it physically. Even if it means for the first five minutes you just lie on the yoga mat and think about different parts of your body before you actually stretch them (that's actually very broken link removed: https://www.feldenkrais.com/method/awareness_through_movement_classes/). It can be a very encouraging part of your recovery to see what your range of motion is in the new hip and how it changes over the months as you continue to heal and strengthen.

Oh!, and Ann yes, definitely have your husband or one of the kids do a little video of you walking in the garden and keep it to look back on in 6 months time!!! I bet you will see improvement.

Off I go to my little door knobs....
Cardie
 
alexthecat and C Mac. Yes! I am ready to stretch. Have just been a bit afraid of it. I have a good stretch book and will start a basic regimen tomorrow. Alex I so appreciated your penguin comment, that's how I feel and how I look. If stretching helps, I'm on it. Thank you. Cardie, whenever I've done yoga I've used blocks as in the pic you posted. I was hoping I could get down lower after surgery. In fact, I almost can but am now snookered by the right knee, which has been sore for months, you know the scoop. I am thinking that I just need to stretch the hamstrings, long neglected. And I will start wearing the knee brace more often. Holy cow, this stuff never stops!
 
Vida you are probably already on top of this, but don't forget to stretch your non-THR side too. That leg and hip need attention as well, since they have been working hard to compensate.
 
Came over to say Hi. I am nervos tonight. I have a root canal appointment tomarrow. I need for it to go right. I will be so glad to get rid of the pain and head ache. Nice to have my life back. You are doing so good. I love to see pictures of your hikes. Take care. What is the weather like now. We are having 70 degree days. WOW that is nice. Hope all is welll. take care. Tashia
 
Oh my days, the dreaded bachache when I first wake up is back with a vengeance. I have been busy these past few days and haven't been doing anything other than dog walking so I am hoping that this is the reason, need to get back to my stretches but this pain is really sickening. I'm wondering if it is sciatica as it feels like nerve pain and is shooting from my lower back and down my (good) right leg. I can't straighten up first thing and it was just like I used to be post op!!!I can't be doing with having problems with my right side now. Being consistent with my exercises gets a bit difficult at times due to this now having a life thing.lol.

Okay, enough of my whinging.....my left side is bloomin fantastic so that's a plus.
 
Cardie, yes my right hip is normal. Hubby says despite the xray it probs isn't much different from any other 47 year olds hip....I'm hoping so. With the new backache perhaps like you said also happens to you, when we take a break from the exercises things crop up.

Yes Vida......it never flipping stops.lol
 
Hi Anniepops I am with you girl... life, work just takes over and then we find it hard to exercise let alone stretching..

Regarding your backache and radiating down your leg, is it the front of your leg or down the back?

I can so relate to the backache... alternating ice and heat seems to work best for me. I also use an Aussie oil which is a combination of Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Olive Oil, that relieves the pain within 15 mins and lasts for quite a few hours... maybe you could find something similar in the UK?

Hugs
 
Hey Ann, my right is also purrty on x ray. Yesterday I had both knees x rayed but I am sure it's just compensation and fluidy build-up. Lots of crepitus ..don't you love that word? But it would be nice to rule out O A, which I am sure it will. I am strictly a congenital, plus related aches and pains. BTW, Have you tried walking up a hill with the walnut clutched? Holy moley (not what I wanted to say) that smarts!
 
Hi Ann,

So, this isn't code for "I've been playing the froggy game so much I forgot to do my exercises" return to life, is it? :heehee:

Is the pain related to the position in which you sleep at night?

Well, you are just about at the year mark with your hip -- but I find my hip still needs special treatment in order for things to be stretched and/or moving around properly. But, you are talking about this sciatica being on your good side. Just wondering if you've ever seen a chiropractor? Sometimes bones in the spine can get a smidge out of alignment and create nerve aggravation. How's your pelvis & LLD been doing - might that have something to do with it??

I have found over the years, even before THR, that when you rest you rust... :sad:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Is Cardie making fun of our frogs? The first two weeks of Pocket Frogs are critical to your success later in the game. You have to get your habitats set up and select the frogs that have maximum breeding potential.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom