Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes it does, foot stays flat and only a tiny raise of the heel...thanks.x
 
It is the external rotation of the foot which makes it better
 
Great! This is your starting point. Do squats like that but keep pushing the boundaries a little. Try to decrease the external rotation a teeny, tiny bit, just to see if you can. Working on this is likely to be a long-term thing. It was for me. I thought I had it all worked out. Then I started doing Body Pump, which meant lots of squats under a 25-kg barbell. My quads didn't have quite the stamina I thought.

Completely unrelated ... I stopped off at a shop to pick up a few things on the way home from work. I saw a woman with the most horrible Trendelenburg gait. I wanted to tell her to go right home and do some clamshells. It was sad, actually.
 
Oh! And never do squats with your legs internally rotated. Just move more toward parallel feet if you can. Even with your toes turned out, you can still get lots of benefit from this exercise and it should help the muscles involved in flipping your foot out.
 
Came by to say HI. How are you doing. How has the weather been, we have some rain and got a little cold. Now I think we are going to warm up. This winter has really been cold. I sure that why I have had so much knee pain. the frist warm day I will just go out and sit in the sun. Oh what a lovely day that will be. Take care and I hope your foot gets better. Tashia
 
alexthecat When we do our squats it's only to about this level, correct?

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


And when we grow up to Body Pump, we'll be more like this....

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

Gotta have something to work towards,
Cardie
 
Well, neither of those is really right. You do have that sort of barbell in Body Pump. However, feet are shoulder-width apart or slightly wider. Toes are straight forward or very slightly externally rotated ... say, at 11 and 1 o'clock if you are facing 12 o'clock. Your weight should be in your heels. Knees should not jut past the toes. The woman in the first image is too weak to squat that deeply. That's why her knees are popped forward like that.
 
Lol Cardie,I don't think I will be ever growing up then :) Although we do have a massive dumbell thing like that I have never tried it, think I would collapse to the floor in a heap if I did.

I wouldn't mind her lovely flat tummy though!

Alex, great to hear that doing the squat with my foot turned out will still be of benefit to me. I did wonder because it is so much easier. You know, I am still not sure what a trendelburg gait actually looks like,I know we have talked a lot about correcting it and I have looked at info about it previously but I must have a google to find a video of someone with it. I have learned so much since my op I have forgot some of the earlier stuff.
 
Oh, you can see that on You Tube if you do a search. I'm on my phone, so I won't find it for you. It's hurts me to see it because it's so hard on the lower back.
 
Found some videos on youtube thanks Alex. Think I need to look up exercises again. Today, after walking for a while my friend asked me if I was in pain......I wasn't but she brought to my attention that I was obviously limping a lot. I guess it is still habit although I do have an LLD I shouldn't have been limping as bad as I was. Guess I need to keep reminding myself not to limp. It's back to the not chatting whilst walking thing again.lol
 
Hi Annie, just catching up on a few of your posts. Love alexthecat advice, so good for many of us.

Strange how we don't have the sense that we are limping and yet our walking partner will pick it up.

With squats, I still find that my hamstring is challenged and can remain sore for a few days.. Obviously now doing mine right, or as strong as I thought, like the photo. Always very cautious doing them because of my lower back problems.

Sounds like you are doing very well though Anne and with Spring not far away, it will get better... Are the daffodils out yet?

Sending hugs xx
 
Annie, were you limping because of habit or fatigue, do you think?

Poppet sometimes it's good to hold onto a sturdy table or bench to ease the pressure on your back, knees, etc. It's still a good exercise, even if you need a little support. Squats are challenging for many non-THR people too.
 
alexthecat, yes that was how I was shown by the Physio, it is more about when I go to pick something up off the floor, I think should thei be a squat, golfers reach or just get lazy and go for the grabber.. But the hamstring is noticeable when I squat to pick something up off the floor... Did it again today.. Ugh!
 
Hey Sandy, I hope you are doing okay :) I know you will always be your lovely positive self regardless of what life throws at you.xxx

My Hamstrings still feel it when I do the stretches, think it may be a permanent thing but hey ho. The daffs are acoming. My Sis bought me a pot with bulbs in, it's really cute and the flowers are really dinky. They are just popping their heads out to say hello. They are sitting on my kitchen windowsill lapping up the little bit of sun we are getting :SUNsmile:
 
Alex, well it was near the end of my walk, I wasn't in pain at all but was walking up a path with a tiny incline. Perhaps it was that or perhaps I just got lazy for a bit.lol. My leg may still be weak even though it isn't painful at all. I was alone on my walk today so I had no witness but I think I managed to not limp a lot.

Ooo also I seen your post in the social room about the cute froggy game. Downloaded it and been having fun eating the dragonflies. Haven't really got a clue what I am supposed to do after that but I am enjoying it.....doesn't take a lot to entertain me.hehe.
 
Oh... go in the menu and tap where it says "Awards". That's the list of what frogs to breed to get prizes. Tell Mr. Pops I'm sorry for getting you to waste your time on imaginary frogs.
 
Haha, thanks have just had a look, that help a lot...got something to aim for now. Tis okay bout Mr Pops...he's been on early shift so is currently snoring on the couch...I can play froggies all night :yes!:
 
Now picture me... post-THR and full of oxycontin, watching those froggies hop around. Very hypnotic. :)
 
Lol yes I bet it was. Its a fun way to while away an hour or two :)
 
Your weight should be in your heels. Knees should not jut past the toes. The woman in the first image is too weak to squat that deeply. That's why her knees are popped forward like that.

Sorry to interrupt the cute froggy game... :heehee:

I am now obsessed with this squat issue as apparently I am weak like the lady in the picture and my knees were jutting forward when I squat. You *really* have to be in your heels and that seems to mean something different for my personal center of gravity. I have now tested one of my kids and one of the yoga teachers and they are able to keep their knees back correctly. Ann, Vida and Poppet are you practicing too??

Oh and one of my favorite ways to evaluate how I walk is when walking up to a store and watching in the big plate glass windows -- you can see if you seem to be limping then too.:thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom