THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone - I could do that yoga pose pre-op even with the bad hip, but with the same as Vida - built-in cushions! It made me laugh imagining the hysterics Tina (my physio) would have if she saw me trying it now! "12weeks! 90 degrees!"
And yes, my GP thought I was wierd being able to touch my toes easily after I struggled to get out of his chair with my hip making horrible noises, but it does use a different muscle group.
Slow but sure - I'm aiming to go back to the gentle yoga class when the new session starts in April. Patience is a virtue but it isn't one of my strong points (ha ha says my beloved!)
Love
Anne
 
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery
does seem to be a really hard virtue to come by.
 
Aww Charlie, were you just pathetic or really really pathetic like I was.There is a big difference you know.lol. Are you able to sit n the floor crossed legged?

That's what I have been thinking about these past few days. You can be really super fit.....like the friend of Alex but still her ROM isn't that fantastic. I think....is it because of my hip, is it my pelvis or back or is it just me, the way I am regardless of my hip problems.

I'm still mostly needing hubby to support my back when getting started doing the butterfly,this does depend on what time of day I am doing it though, mornings are a disaster for me, I'm just so stiff but I guess that is common in almost everybody,my back is still bent too. Cardie, thankyou for pointing out that the girl in the picture has one leg lower than the other, I didn't notice that.

I am also persevering with trying to get the foot of my operated leg onto the knee...or very near it, of my good leg. Trying to do this without hubbys help is by no means a fluid action, I have to like jerk the foot onto the ankle of my good leg then try to jerk it a little higher, I know this is not ideal but it is the only way I can do it. It is like the top of my leg is not communicating with below the knee when I am trying this. Since going at this a lot, from just below my calf and to my ankle is quite tender. It doesn't hurt unless I prod it (and of course I keep prodding it to see if it still hurts....as you do :)) but when I do it is like a massive bruise is under the skin, it's very sore. I'm guessing it's due to all the stretching going on there...this is a good thing right????
 
Vicki and Anne, never mind you two coming on here and showing off about your assets......some of us are a bit envious of other more curvacious ladies you know :tantrum: I too cannot manage that new pose of Cardies but cannot use the same excuse as you two.....I am just not bendy enough :heehee: It's another one on my list......thanks Cardie...and thanks for the detailed step by step instructions on how to achieve it Alex...I am impressed you can do that :)
 
Well, that's just it. I have no idea how to guess what a reasonable ROM would be for anyone else. I can tell you that my friend... I'll call her Amy cuz that's her name... she doesn't care that she can barely do Cobbler's Pose. She doesn't know her ROM. She's never seen a goniometer. She can do what she wants outdoors or at the gym. That's all she cares about.
 
Hi Ann,

My own lack of flexibility would fall into the area between "it's a lot better than it was" and "not as good as I'd like"! No I can't get my op leg foot onto my other knee either .... but I think with daily stretching which, as I said I'd been neglecting by favouring muscle building, it will get better.
I take Alex's point tho' that if the lack of ROM and flexibility doesn't affect you negatively then so what if you can't do a Butterfly pose or sit cross legged on the floor? Having said that I'm definitely going to continue stretching and striving to improve ..... it's all part of the recovery process.
To answer your first question my attempt at Butterflying was "quite" pathetic!!:sad:
Chill out babe.....

Love
Charlie x
 
I'm really interested in all this discussion on different stretches and finding out what everyone can and can't do. I'm just over four months out and I still can't sit cross legged yet. Can't get the foot of the operated leg onto the knee of the good leg yet either. I can do the cobblers pose but operated leg won't go down as far as the other side. I can just about touch the floor now but I am no where near that pose of Cardies but I also don't have any natural advantages! Even right before the operation I was still really flexible, it was just lots of pain when walking that made me go for the op. I sometimes think that the dysplasia allowed me to be more flexible as my left leg was always easier than my right (could even do the splits once on my left leg but never on my right!) and that was the knackered one. I wonder if now I have a "proper" hip I'll be able to get the bendiness back? Another one for all you experts - how long before you could get your head to the floor in childs pose or prayer stretch? I'm getting closer but not there yet!

Jane
 
I feel pretty sure I can do none of those things---but then I can't think of any reason I personally would want to. However, I am considerably older than you girls and that may account for my lack of interest in those kinds of positions. [Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery
 
Charlie, I think that, to a large degree, our ROM is genetically determined. Not completely though. Most people, even the most pathetic, seem to be able to increase it at least somewhat with gentle, consistent stretching. Other people can't be bothered and that's fine too. :) So, you may not get to crazy yoga stuff, but I bet you could improve a bit if you are motivated to do that.
 
Haha Charlie....don't mind me...I was just having a laugh :)

Wondering how it is going for you...any improvement? I have found that although there isn't a massive improvement when I am doing the specific exercises/movements I can see a real difference in everyday actions, for instance...shaving my legs......this obviously won't apply to you Charlie.....well I think not :whistle: ....it is much easier, I just get stuck straight in there, not a bit of struggling to stretch, it is just 'normal'....other little movements that I make I have realised are much easier. I have just noticed this the past couple of days so I think things are eventually loosening up somewhat.....I am very chuffed about that.

One funny thing....tried to touch my toes this morning as I have been struggling to get down there when trying it and the weird thing is, although I have a LLD operated side....left...I can nearly touch toes when both legs are straight but if I bend my left leg knee slightly I can do it no bother. Now, considering my left leg is shorter I can't figure out why this is happening. My pelvis is lower on the left so is this why? I am probably being a bit thick on this......and will not be offended if this is confirmed.lol...but I can't get my head around why this is happening. Anyway, it's no big deal,just curious.

So at 11 months I am still improving which is good, I am happy to be the tortoise and not the hare :)
 
Janey, I have posted on your thread but just wanted to mention that I still can't get my head on the floor in childs pose however, my ROM has always been rubbish unlike yourself so I think you will get there in the end.x.
 
Hi Ann,
Thanks for the laughter ..... do you do that often or is it when you read my posts?
Not a lot of improvement but it's early days and some days are better than others, especially when I've been out on my bike, afterwards I'm quite flexible (comparitively). It's because my muscles have warmed up!
The toe touching thing .... ie when you bend your left leg it's easier, is because you've shortened the hamstring by bending the knee. My pelvis is also lower on the left side (Op side) due to the LLD which if your legs are straight would seem logical!? Think of a long triangle with one of the long sides a little shorter than the other it would lean towards the shorter side ....... does that make sense?
Any Tortoise don't let it bug you!

Charlie x
 
charlie cyborg you are back! so good!

Must agree with Judy, I have always been mystified with ROM.. I have watched so many Nordic Walking videos and the hip joint being a ball and socket, just seems to be there to walk.. I did my exercises religiously for a few months and then though... oh, what the heck, my main aim having my THR was to be able to walk.... mission accomplished for me :)

I do understand though that other people want to undertake activities that may require additional ROM..

Good to have you back Cousin :)
 
Whoops Annie, forgot to say hello friend :)

I bet you are looking forward to warmer weather... do you have (or had much) snow?
 
So... I was in Body Pump class today. We were stretching at the end of class. We got to the butterfly stretch and there was one gal whose ROM was quite low. She was trying so, so hard to reach her ankles and then... she toppled right over. It made me think of you and I almost laughed. I didn't because I think she'd have felt bad...
 
Oooo Vicki, Bodypump...we don't want to be going there, I just googled it, it looks exhausting.lol

Alex, well done for not giggling at toppling over girl, I applaud you for holding it in as I imagiƄe it did look very funny but bless her,I bet she felt a bit daft.lol.

Hello Sandy, yes we had lots of snow last week, I loved it as this is the first time in a lot of years that I could actually appreciate it and walk in it rather than be stuck in the house because of it as I didn't dare venture out in case I lost my footing. Shame it has all gone now, today it has been gale force winds and rain :)
 
Charlie, thanks for the explanation about the toe touching, I get it now.x
 
Ann, I am so glad you were able to walk in the snow. It is fun isn't it. I use to love fresh snow so you could make a Angel in the snow. With you getting better maybe the next time it snow, you can make a Angel. Glad you are having fun. Take care. Have fun. Tashia
 
Tash, I suggested my Sister done a snow angel and she lay down then didn't know what to do. I explained and told her to move her arms and legs but she stoood up and said....Oh no, it's too cold and wet...lol....I wouldn't do it either as I am a wimp.haha.. It's great if you are wearing skiing gear but not denim jeans, they are not nice to wear when wet through :) thanks for popping by.xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom