TKR Annie11 recovery

@Annie11
Very familiar with the ER trip due to pain meds!! Where in NJ are you? I'm originally from NJ!
Oh yea, not pleasant!! I live in Moorestown, NJ. Had my surgery at Virtua Joint Replacement Institute in Voorhees.

What part are you from?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That would be scary and painful, @Annie11... In years past, before I figured out some food sensitivities, I had that issue so I had stool softeners and prunes to cook in water ready and when on the higher pain med doses I just took the pills and had my prunes every day. I think that regularity helped.... Had you tried such ideas and they didn't work?
Hi BBCG - yes I was on 4 laxatives/stool softener a day plus Milk of Magnesia, didn't help! Very scary. I have stomach issues which I think makes it worse for me. I've been eating more fruit & vegetables now but the main thing that helped was reducing the pain meds.
 
Your incision looks great. As you know the shaving thing freaks me out near the incision. Nice job on driving and laundry. Getting back to normalcy is a good thing. Your ROM is very good considering the quad and swelling issues. Keep up the great job.
@thecoll. Thanks! I had some setbacks this week. My sciatica flared from overdoing in PT and leg aches and swelling started again. I only went twice, resting more. My knee still tightens up and steps are difficult. (Always have been for me). When I go down basement I have to go down backwards! Lol. Okay coming up.

How are you doing today?
 
Hey, I'm another Jersey gal, too. I actually went to Moorestown Friends, Annie, in high school, though am from Riverton. Have some good friends who had a bunch 'o kids that went to Moorestoen public, the Lippincotts... One of them might have been in a class if you grew up there...
 
@Annie11
My godparents lived in Moorestown! Still remember the address of their 2ND house. I was born in Camden, and we moved away when I was in 3rd grade. We lived in Woodbury for 4 months, then walked to the house in West Deptford carrying items in our hands. Longest 10 minute walk I ever made! I had to carry the toaster on one walk! My father had an aunt that lived in Burlington County, but most everyone was in the Camden area.

How are you doing today? I am about 4 months out.
 
That knee looks really good! Mine is still pretty ugly, but if even it stays that way, I almost always wear long pants, so who cares. Only the people sharing a swimming pool with me will be traumatized.
 
@BBCG Oh small world!! I just moved here about 3 years ago. Im actually from PA (all over Bucks County) and went to Bensalem High School then lived in Langhorne, PA


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@birdwatchr

My mother in law grew up in Camden too then moved to Moorestown. South Jersey is a nice area...

I'm doing okay today - I think I did a little too many steps, my sciatica is bothering my legs. 5 weeks out on 2nd knee & I just want to be able to do everything! :)

How are you doing with your recovery?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That knee looks really good! Mine is still pretty ugly, but if even it stays that way, I almost always wear long pants, so who cares. Only the people sharing a swimming pool with me will be traumatized.

@greatlakes

Thanks! I always wear long pants too! I figure it is what it is at this point. I had my left knee done back in April & then my right 5 weeks ago - my legs are really ugly - have some bad varicose veins too that have gotten worse with surgery :/


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Annie, my dad grew up in Bucks County and we used to spend time at his mother's house in Millersburg... I loved riding the ferry that crosses the Susquahanna there...
Yeah, I wear long pants too, mostly... I figure these scars are badges of honor and experience, though! Grew up with a mom who had had polio so got used to her talking about that to folks that were curious about her lop-sided gait. She was an educator at heart, though, never shy about explaining polio and how lucky she was to be able to still walk. I am somewhat similar, in that I explain why I have the scar, and that now my knee won't hurt as much and I'll be able to keep up with my granddaughter again!
 
I look on my scars as badges on honour, too.
I wear trousers most of the time, except for very hot days in summer, when I wear capris. I find them more comfortable than a skirt. I only wear shorts around teh house, never when I go out.
No one who didn't already know has ever asked about my scars.
 
@Annie11
Doing fine with recovery...... now! Hope you are doing better too.

My son, who was in a very bad car accident last year and has some pretty huge scars that look like someone took an axe to him, says "scars are just another story to tell!" Wonder if they will one day be embellished!
 
Yes, scars are a badge of honor...:)

I have a 5 yr old Grandson who was over here a few weeks ago & out back he said "Mom-Mom, chase me!" LOL. I was telling him I'm sorry hon I can't run - he's like, Run as fast as you can - c'mon do it do it -go! I was laughing- so we showed him my scars & tried to explain- he didn't understand & just wanted me to race him. So funny!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Preparing for my 6 week checkup tomorrow on right knee.

The PT measured my ROM ...about 104 degrees- not much of change other than in strength. It's still a little swollen and sore. Not too bad :)

My left knee still seems to be an issue - only 95 degrees now at 5 1/2 months. They said they don't think it'll gain much more :/

I know others have said they've gained good flexion several months to a year later. Hoping to get another 5 degrees, I've been exercising it, trying heel slides etc. but no change

Will see what the surgeon says tomorrow [emoji106]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Seen my OS yesterday- everything looks good and he said I can discontinue PT after next week. Yay!!

He wants me to start using the recumbent bike at home more ...pedaling around 30 minutes per day & that's the only exercise he's recommending.

Currently, I still rock for 10 mins then go all the way around for about 2-5 mins a day. My ROM isn't great so I have to sit back a little far.

He thinks that after building up to 30 mins a day that I will gain a little more flexion and should see some results in 6 months. I sure hope it works as my left knee is only 95 degrees and steps, chairs, etc are still an issue getting up n down.

Anyone have poor flexion prior to surgery and gain a lot afterwards??

So far I went from 75 to 95 on left and 86 to 104 on right.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great report from your OS and nice that you only have a week of PT left. Sounds like your recovery is going well. Congrats!
 
I was about 90 at most before my revision. I followed the recommendations here and I am now able to bend my knee 130 degrees. You can still gain range of motion through out the first year or so.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Seen my OS yesterday- everything looks good and he said I can discontinue PT after next week. Yay!!

He wants me to start using the recumbent bike at home more ...pedaling around 30 minutes per day & that's the only exercise he's recommending.

Currently, I still rock for 10 mins then go all the way around for about 2-5 mins a day. My ROM isn't great so I have to sit back a little far.

He thinks that after building up to 30 mins a day that I will gain a little more flexion and should see some results in 6 months. I sure hope it works as my left knee is only 95 degrees and steps, chairs, etc are still an issue getting up n down.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Once you can make full rotations you're on your way. I think the key is "building up" to 30 minutes. Your more recent knee isn't as ready as your first knee so take it gradually.
 
Preparing for my 6 week checkup tomorrow on right knee.
The PT measured my ROM ...about 104 degrees- not much of change other than in strength. It's still a little swollen and sore. Not too bad :)

My left knee still seems to be an issue - only 95 degrees now at 5 1/2 months. They said they don't think it'll gain much more :/

I know others have said they've gained good flexion several months to a year later. Hoping to get another 5 degrees, I've been exercising it, trying heel slides etc. but no change

Will see what the surgeon says tomorrow [emoji106]
I see that your surgeon was happy with your right knee. That's good. 104 degrees is fine right now.

Yes, it is true that flexion can continue to increase for a year, or even longer, after a TKR, so you have plenty of time, for both knees. Just don't fall into the trap of exercising too much, thinking that will help, because it doesn't.
Slow and steady is the way to go.
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom