TKR Annie11 recovery

So pleased you hit 90 on your own. Like Celle said, for those of us who haven't had great ROM before surgery it's important to take it slow and steady and let our ligaments, muscles etc adjust. It sounds like you're chugging along on the right track.
 
Thanks! Yes, long slow process...I'm almost 7 weeks and reached 92 degrees today. Still not feeling 100% yet - maybe 80. Getting there :)

I see my OS tomorrow for my 6 week checkup.

He did say he would get me past 90•with no pain...now I just have to have no pain! Lol

Hoping I can do right knee in August.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Slow progress is still progress and it indicates that your improvement will continue.
[Bonesmart.org] Annie11 recovery
 
Good news ..My OS surgeon measured me at 105 degrees (hanging off table) and in PT 98 (supine)

We are now scheduled for RTKR on 8/11/16. Hopefully by this time next year I'll feel somewhat normal again! [emoji106]

Feeling better each week & returning to work (in office) full time soon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm now at 10 weeks post op and had stopped taking all pain meds and anti inflammatory medication about 2 weeks ago.

Since then PT has become more painful for me. I can do the exercises but feel worse afterwards. Both my legs are aching at night, I'm not sleeping as well and feel more inflamed. Even two days after PT I'm still sore. I wasn't this achy 2 weeks ago. I do have a herniated disc but my back isn't bothering me much, just legs from thighs down. (Hips sometimes too)

My exercises have become a little more challenging but we've basically been doing the same leg lifts, bike, side steps, balancing, heel slides, and leg presses. My therapist wants me to be able to do more so the Dr is giving me the meds again to finish out therapy next few weeks.

Has anyone had this type of setback?
I'm wondering if the exercises are too much or should I push thru the pain?

I was still going to pt three times a week now down to 2 and doing some if the exercises at home everyday.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Annie,
I'm 9 weeks post op tomorrow, so very close to you. I slipped and overextended my TKR knee five weeks ago and really set myself back, ROM went down to 75 and 15. Physio last week gave me lots of exercises. I tried to do them for two days but had to stop because of increased pain during the exercise and afterwards. This week I told the physio I could not do all the exercises and we just did one very gentle stretch to help increase my extension. I'm not even allowed to do much walking around the house. The last two days have been much better. My advice, from my experience is to take the pain meds if you need them, but do far less exercise for a few days and see what happens. Pushing through pain doesn't achieve anything, it just makes you hurt. Sometimes less is more. Wishing you all the best.
Tabby xxx
 
I wouldn't push through the 'pain' Annie. Many here say it's ok to push through discomfort, but never pain.
I'm now at 10 weeks post op and had stopped taking all pain meds and anti inflammatory medication about 2 weeks ago.

That's probably a good reason you're more uncomfortable than you were a few weeks ago when you were on scheduled pain control. Especially with your increase in PT exercises.

I would start taking something for pain if I felt uncomfortable the way you're describing. It doesn't have to be narcotics, extra-strength tylenol, 1,000mgs every 6hrs has helped many of us here post-op!

And of course continuing to follow the bonesmart mantras!

Hoping you're feeling better soon!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Since then PT has become more painful for me. I can do the exercises but feel worse afterwards. Both my legs are aching at night, I'm not sleeping as well and feel more inflamed. Even two days after PT I'm still sore. I wasn't this achy 2 weeks ago. I do have a herniated disc but my back isn't bothering me much, just legs from thighs down. (Hips sometimes too)

My exercises have become a little more challenging but we've basically been doing the same leg lifts, bike, side steps, balancing, heel slides, and leg presses. My therapist wants me to be able to do more so the Dr is giving me the meds again to finish out therapy next few weeks.

Has anyone had this type of setback?
I'm wondering if the exercises are too much or should I push thru the pain?
It seems pretty obvious to me that it's the exercises that are causing your pain. You really don't need to do a lot of exercises in order to rehab your knee. In fact, it isn't exercises that increase your ROM. It's time, gentle treatment, and reduction in swelling.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

Cut the exercises right back and concentrate on more of this: - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

Remember this, from the BoneSmart mantras?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

Trying to push through the pain is about the worst thing you could do, so please don't do that.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
 
I would imagine that after 10 weeks there is still a lot of inflammation, if he is putting you back on anti inflamatory meds, that may help.
 
Are you taking tylenol? I needed it for weeks after I went off the narcotics. I didn't need anything as strong as hydrocodone, but did need the tylenol a few times a day; and definitely before bed.
 
Thanks, yes I tried Tylenol & Tramadol for a few days and didn't help. I feel better when I rest but the PT wants me to be able to do the exercises and to move forward. She thinks my legs just aren't used to all the exercise as I've been sedentary the last few yrs from pain.

My Dr put me back on the anti inflammatory (Mobic) and Vicodin for a few weeks and my therapy has been reduced to twice per week.

I do feel better now on the Mobic and doing less exercise. My ROM hasn't changed so that's good. I have no swelling in operated knee but my other one is def unhappy. More pain on arthritic side.

Has anyone had their knees done 3-4 months apart?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my knees done 11 weeks apart. The2nd healed and gained ROM quickly compared to the 1st. But it also is prone to swelling after walking and stranding for a time. I've been walking about 1.5 miles a day., doing gardening, housework and some shopping. Also now that it is summer we are spending time with my granddaughter who is a treasure but she wears me out! By doing the surgeries back to back I expect the total recovery time for both will be less. What I did not expect is the major energy drain. My mind still believes I can do way more in a day than my body can do. It is hard taking the easy out all the time. Sleep is still a n issue too. Nevertheless it is all headed in the correct direction.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my knees done 11 weeks apart. The2nd healed and gained ROM quickly compared to the 1st. But it also is prone to swelling after walking and stranding for a time. I've been walking about 1.5 miles a day., doing gardening, housework and some shopping. Also now that it is summer we are spending time with my granddaughter who is a treasure but she wears me out! By doing the surgeries back to back I expect the total recovery time for both will be less. What I did not expect is the major energy drain. My mind still believes I can do way more in a day than my body can do. It is hard taking the easy out all the time. Sleep is still a n issue too. Nevertheless it is all headed in the correct direction.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Wow, 11 weeks apart - you sound like you are keeping busy & able to do quite a bit! I'm sure if you could get more sleep you would feel less drained. :sleep:Sleeping hasn't been an issue for me too much, (except when I over do it) its more of walking for long periods. Just a trip through a store for 30 minutes makes me hurt and I need to sit down. Much like before surgery for me. My legs stiffen up and my back starts aching. Of course my arthritic knee is causing more pain. Do you have stiffness when you first get up from sitting? I notice after an hr or so I can barely walk at first - once I loosen up its okay. I'm just wondering when this will go away?
 
@Annie11. Yes pain upon going from sitting to standing. It takes me a moment to get going although I can rise on my own now. It seems to go away quickly. I hear you about the arthritic knee- my 2nd replacement knee was asked to do so much work after the first was done, it was very painful. I'm feeling like I've turned a corner lately. Still need my nap though! LOL! Good luck to you!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I just got through week one of my 2nd knee replacement [emoji28] (8/11)

This surgery was much more painful for me & the swelling and bruising intense. (See photo at day 6)
[Bonesmart.org] Annie11 recovery


I was told by the surgeon's team not to compare to the my other knee done in April, but it was hard not to. I think I was really fortunate last time as I had no tourniquet quad pain & was able to lift my leg right after surgery! My main issue was ROM and trying to sit in a chair comfortably.

This time it's harder to lift leg, my quad is just starting to fire in last few days. My main issue is extension and trying to keep my leg straight or elevated ... It can be painful. I do a little of each, plus walking as much as possible. The good news is I can sleep 4-5hrs at a time before I wake for next pain med. :)

I started PT 3 times a week and was able to do most of the sets but was a little sore the next day. I have a new PT this time so I'll let him know today when I go back.

So far so good, just taking one day at a time... The swelling and bruising hadn't gotten worse and pain is dying down some. Feeling a lot more stable on my legs this time around - don't think I'll need the walker much longer.

Hoping for a quick recovery!

Pain free will take some time on both ...







Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
it sounds like you are being very sensible in handling the Pt and healing your leg. you are so early in your recovery that right now, rest, elevation and ice are the most important things to do.
 
@skigirl. Yes, that's the only thing I can do is rest, ice & elevate. ;)

(And exercise of course)




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Some of us have an easier first knee, some an easier 2nd knee. But really you seem like you're doing quite well!
Keep us posted.
 
Try to make sure you give you knee enough time to heal and to not do exercises that cause you more pain for a day afterwards. Three times a week for me was too much. Your bruising should slowly disappear bit by bit over the coming weeks.
 
Thanks kneeper!

I am resting more with this knee, but my surgeons team is very aggressive - they want me in outpatient PT 3 times per week. (Exercises every hr at home).

Also at the 2 week checkup they expect you at 90 degrees and start talking MUA.

For me I was only 75 & 86 degrees going into surgery so it takes time for me to get there.

I certainly learned last surgery that less is more & I need rest to reduce the swelling.

Since this surgery my unoperated (left) knee has gone back down to 86 degrees. I was at 95 a month ago.

How long did it take for everyone to reach their full ROM & keep it there?

Do you have to exercise everyday to stay loose too?

Thanks :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom