BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

ankle Ankle Replacement'

Discussion in 'Other Joints Forum' started by Baldrick, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Glad to hear all went well with the surgery.
    The numbness might be a little concerning but probably a good thing...
    Happy it's all done.
    Healing wishes.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm very glad to hear that your surgery went well @Baldrick.
    Obviously, you can't ice your ankle because of the plaster, but elevating it to help keep the swelling down is important. Keep moving your toes, won't you?

I'm pleased to hear that your period of non-weight-bearing is only until the plaster comes off. I had thought it would be longer and that is one thing that had been putting me off having my ankle surgery.

I hope everything continues to go well. Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baldrick

Baldrick new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Had my follow up appointment today when the pot was removed along with all the staples. I hadn't realized that part of the procedure involved drilling up through the bottom of my ankle into the large leg bone (forgotten name) for the top part of the new joint to fit in. That involved staples for that wound as well as the two incisions that were required to remove screws from the original surgery in 1990. After about a week the nerve block had worn off and I was getting pain up to a level of around 8 on the pain scale. In addition stabbing, fuzzy feelings which may well be the nerves starting to work again. I still have no feeling on the bottom of my toes and full foot but that may take some time to recover hopefully. I now have a moon boot on and am allowed to be partly weight bearing but only what I feel comfortable with and have to do some very gently ankle flexes but only in the straight ahead direction, no rotation. Physio has been re-booked for 4 weeks time as i was originally told after 2 weeks but that is not allowed. In 9 to 10 days I can remove the dressings and gently wash and dry the wound areas. The whole proceedure apparently took 2 1/5 hours but they allow up to 5 so were pleased at the way it went.

4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

After my ankle/foot breaks, getting out of that plaster was a huge blessing! I loved the moon boot, partial freedom at last! Are you able to tolerate any weight on your ankle yet? It sounds like your surgery was less than half the time they had allotted for it. That's wonderful! How are you feeling now?

5. Baldrick

Baldrick new member

I am partial weight bearing but only what I can tolerate which is not a lot at present. Exercising slightly front to back but if I inadvertantly flex side to side it is very painful. I can just flex my toes but too much gives me pain in my heal. Still no feeling in the bottom of my foot at all. I am sleeping a bit better now, probably waking about three to four times through the night and find that I need to remove the moon boot for a few minutes at times through the night as I can get some pain. Still getting random and varied what I would describe as fuzzy pain varying in severity but up to 8/10 at times. Trying to have a short walk every day and increasing it gradually. Dressings off on Thursday then I can bath or shower then apply E45. Looking forward to that. Physio planned after Christmas.

6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Be sure to follow the Bonesmart way in your PT. You will still need to do a whole lot of healing before trying to strengthen it.

7. Baldrick

Baldrick new member

Thought I should post an update as its been a few weeks now. I started with physio around 6 weeks after surgery but just a set of exercises to be done three times a day. My front to back movement is improving very slightly but side to side shows no change at present. Still no feeling at all on mist of the bottom of my foot, with only very slight feeling on the outer edge, which is very strange when walking as it feels like I am walking with my foot nit planted flat on the ground which I am. I still get the fuzzy/pins and needles feeling at random times. When i get up in the morning my foot needs time to free up as it becomes somewhat stiff over night. I can and am walking in a manner around the house without any crutches but use one when out for support. I always knew recovery was going to take time and that is complicated because my ankle was part fused. I will reserve judgement on the success of the procedure for some time but my take is that I made the decision based on the information I had and the alternative scenarios for my future.

8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Sounds like you are doing very well @Baldrick . I have no experience with ankle replacement but from what I have seen here and read, the recovery can be tricky.

What does your surgeon say about the numbness and pins and needles. Sounds like nerves that might have been traumatised during the procedure. Nerves can take ages to heal - don't be discouraged.