Guest viewing is limited

THR And so, I Continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gullimac - As I am typing this, you may be in recovery about now. Sending up prayers for you that everything went smoothly. Feel the love others have for you and the love you have for them. Visualize what this restoration will make possible for you. Embrace the image of a recovered, vital, strong gullimac. You've got this. :yes!:
 
Thinking about you today and wishing you good luck! Also looking forward to reading your recovery feed. :)
--Robin


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
Hi Gulli! Keeping you in my prayers today,, hope all is going well. I am sure they are but will be glad to hear it from you!:fingersx:
 
:thumb: Made it. Spent 4 hours in recovery after roughly 45 minutes in surgery. BP went high on me so they watched that for a while. Then I had longer than normal wait for a room upstairs.

Just had my first PT. walked to the bathroom, got VERY lightheaded, voided my bladder and headed back to bed. Had to make a pit stop about 5 feet from the bed because of dissyness. Darn PT wanted me to actually breath while I was doing the monumentally difficult task of walking:snork:.

More later going to try to nap.
 
Yeah!!:happydance: So happy you are now in the recovery mode. I wonder why we all hold our breathes when first walking. PT always reminded me to breath.
Just enjoy the rest now. Make sure you are icing. Now is the time to lay back and let the healing take place.
Looking forward to reading your recovery thread.
 
@gullimac. That's awesome! Good to hear from you! I also felt dizzy the first time I had to walk. I guess nobody noticed if I was breathing !



RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Thrilled for you that you are out and about! That first walk to the bathroom...ugh. I was crying during mine. Breathing is good!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gullimac I've been quietly following your journey. So glad you you are doing well. I just love how The PT's expect us to breath and walk....
 
Yay, Walking in Memphis - oops (Atlanta) They won't ask you to walk or even breathe if you simply throw up on them. That's what I did and they let me rest and wait till the next day to go strolling. You've done IT now. You are now on your way. Welcome to the other side @gullimac. Congratulations. :ice: --julie
 
Glad it all went well and you are up and walking already! Keep that breathing going and look forward to hearing your updates!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Great to hear that you are up and around! I had dizziness early on as well. Chalked mine up to more meds and not enough food, so it got better as those got resolved. Hope you can get some rest.
 
Got my ice going now. Had to ask. Dozed off and on for the last 1.5 hours. Woken up for pain meds that I can take every 4 hours (board says Lortab).

Besides the near barf-o-Rama, the worst part for me was during the recovery room stay of 4 hrs. I was not allowed to bend my knee or place a pillow under it. I had a spot on my rump that when I sit in the recliner for to long it will start to ache, I also get the same ache in my knee. At home the pillow helps, or bending the knee and placing it on the arm rest. Just too long in the same position.

Sent the wife and My dad (Paw-paw) home around 6:30 (3 hours ago). Had them put most important things within reach before the headed home to real food. I did not offer to let them share my chicken-water, green jello and shaved lemon ice. It was not good, but heh, it was mine.
 
2nd trip to the bathroom at 2:15 AM was MUCH better than the 1st. Got some decent sleep off and on for 3 hours this time. Back on a fresh bag of ice. Now to prove I can handle 13 steps into my house. We are a ranch with a drive under garage, so once I get in I will be ok.
 
Welcome to the other side @gullimac ! Take things slow and steady. The dizziness will ease - just don't move too fast for now.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom