THR An Opportunity to Enjoy Life Again

It seems like I dropped everything early on!
Well congrats on Hip #2 and you know the drill so not saying it will be easier but at least you have experience.
Sending positive recovery vibes your way.

Chuckling a bit (sorry) about the Comedy of Errors involving the dropped phone, Leg Lifter and Grabber. :heehee:
Not funny I'm sure at the time, but you do have to laugh reflecting back. I remember once needing the grabber as I dropped something while seated in my recliner and while I did have it close by, it wasn't close enough, so I was using the cane to try to snag the grabber that I needed. At that point you just have to laugh at how pathetic you feel. :wink: You seem to be off to a good start, Sukuma. I hope you have a peaceful day.
@Sukuma

Hi
Yes I did sone things differently… due to the benefit of hindsight.

1) I wasn’t as afraid of the spinal this time as knew what do expect

2) I ate lightly the night before (no curry this time!)

3) I knew there would be some pain after the op and was pretty insistent I got my pain meds in time (see my recovery blog!)

4) I had a lot of bruising and used the ice machine at the recovery home a lot

5) this is the biggest difference … I used enough physio to get me moving, handle steps and to get more mobility But I refused bridges, clams and rubber bands. I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and listened to the Bonesmart guidelines. Result is I am way ahead compared to last time.
6) once home I did walking, minor physio and made sure I put me feet up, elevated abd iced a lot. I bought some packs from Amazon that I could strap to my hip.

7) I only came off two crutches when I felt secure and concentrated on walking properly without a limp.

8) I made sure I had a social life and a few things to look forward to each week that were in the diary whether it was a zoom chat with friends or seeing them in person

9) I watched a lot of easy stuff on Netflix as a distraction

10) and if my husband wanted to help I let him rather than trying to be heroic…

I learnt a lot from the mistakes I made last time!

Best of luck with your recovery xx ..
It was really useful reading through these. I am sitting here thinking of the physio list of exercises and just think, yesh, I am in pain, I have walked a bit and will continue to get up and have a little wonder around the house, but the idea of trying to get my abductors to work, just doesn't appeal at all right now. I always struggle with bridges as its so easy to use the wrong muscles in the back instead of the glutes, so not keen on those at all. Yes, I don't like asking my partner to do things all the time - mind you, at 4am this morning when I was huffing and puffing it upset the dogs, so I sent him out to sort them out - felt a bit guilty about that.

Keep this in mind, Sukuma, it will take away the pressure to be doing something to speed up your recovery.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Re: Bridges - Bridges are not recommended for healing hips. Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure in an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. They can cause tendonitis in quads, glutes and ham strings. So have no guilt in skipping Bridges.

Take it slow / easy and you'll get there without any detours into the dreaded ODIC.
@Sukuma

Keep this in mind, Sukuma, it will take away the pressure to be doing something to speed up your recovery.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Re: Bridges - Bridges are not recommended for healing hips. Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure in an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. They can cause tendonitis in quads, glutes and ham strings. So have no guilt in skipping Bridges.

Take it slow / easy and you'll get there without any detours into the dreaded ODIC.
@Sukuma
Thanks for the feedback on this, there is alot of pressure to be doing exercises, I certainly haven't felt like it today and decided to take it easy. Good information about bridges - thanks.

I had 2 THR's and the one thing I did different between the 2 was with the second I was a lazy bum that enjoyed the recovery by relaxing and doing very little. With the first I was in the need to do more PT to have a good recovery. I learned from that one and just rested and walked with my second. Even my walking was different from first to second. With the first I was concerned with increasing distance. With the second I didn't care about speed or distance, that would come naturally. I concentrated on slow purposeful walking only concentrating on form. Care to wager which hip had a more pleasant and better recovery and no setbacks?

I had 2 THR's and the one thing I did different between the 2 was with the second I was a lazy bum that enjoyed the recovery by relaxing and doing very little. With the first I was in the need to do more PT to have a good recovery. I learned from that one and just rested and walked with my second. Even my walking was different from first to second. With the first I was concerned with increasing distance. With the second I didn't care about speed or distance, that would come naturally. I concentrated on slow purposeful walking only concentrating on form. Care to wager which hip had a more pleasant and better recovery and no setbacks?
Lovely feedback. The hospital phoned to check on me today and I raised this very point. The lady who called, it will come, just make sure you move initially, don't do activities that hurt and don't worry about it.......

Hi Sakuma

Sounds like your head is in the right place as well as your hip. I agree with what others have said, my second recovery has gone better than the first to date because I did not do extreme physio and if it didnt feel right I didn't do it. I saw the Consultant's Registrar today so will update my own thread! Onwards!

Last edited:
This is your second so you know what to expect. I evaluated my goals, what I wanted from my THR's. I wanted to sleep pain free and have good mobility the rest of my life. I'm not going to play sports any more, that ship has sailed. Now I focus on keeping my balance and agility, it isn't what it used to be but I don't want to lose what I have.

Day 5

The recovery pain seemed so much more pronounced than last time, though maybe it's just my memory. Any little movement other than completely straight, hurt, getting in and out of bed an exhorstive task. My partner was putting on and taking off my socks and shoes, but just lifting my foot to get the shoe on or he would accidently move the foot slightly to the side was just plain painful!

My friend kindly gave me MLD treatment yesterday. Wow, what a difference that made - I was so surprised. Prior to this, when sitting, I felt like I was sitting on a poky bag of nails. yet straight after her treatment, although the pain was still there in my buttocks, it was considerably less. Last night, I was able to sit in the chair, lift my operated leg off the floor and move it about without difficultly. The increase in movement has continued today and the bag of nails has gone down even more. My incision area is starting to itch. I remember this from before, though I thought it didn't happen until about the third week, rather than now.

Being stuck in the house is rather challenging through, despite doing my course, watching films etc. As my partner keeps telling me, year after year, I am a terrible patient.

Day 8

As instructed, and as last time, I took my bandage off two days ago. The incision iching lasted for a couple of days but seems to have stopped now. The incision is looking good, with some yellow bruising around it, but that won't take long to go. I am still amazed at how fast the skin repairs itself.

Movement is good, the intense pain has gone and it now feeling more muscular pain and ache. I am walking fine with crutches round the house and been outside for short wonders down the bridal path. It is proving to be so much easier than last time, with my legs being the same length instead of struggling with the leg length discrepancy that really had a massive impact on recovery last time. I can even potter from one room to another without my crutches - there is absolutely no way I could do that at this stage with my first hip replacement, I couldn't do that for a very long time. I am sleeping so much better this time round, have considerable more energy and don't feel a need to sit totally exhorsted for 10 minutes after completing an outside walk. I am considerably less stressed aswell. I am very pleased that it's proving to be easier.

It is proving to be so much easier than last time, with my legs being the same length instead of struggling with the leg length discrepancy that really had a massive impact on recovery last time. I can even potter from one room to another without my crutches - there is absolutely no way I could do that at this stage with my first hip replacement, I couldn't do that for a very long time. I am sleeping so much better this time round, have considerable more energy and don't feel a need to sit totally exhorsted for 10 minutes after completing an outside walk. I am considerably less stressed aswell. I am very pleased that it's proving to be easier.
Such good news @Sukuma - wishing you all the best for steady onward progress.

Day 17

Whilst time is needed to repair and get my hip muscles working properly, this time, without the leg length discrepancy issue, it seems to be so much easier.

I saw the physio yesterday, who gave me some exercises that I didn't have last time, though I plan to be careful with them, as I don't want to over do it.

I have been able to walk around the house with crutches for a couple of days now, though it is a bit stilted, as the muscles are stiff. I don't get the same stiffness when sitting for a while as I did for my left hip replacement which is a bonus. I can stand on the operated leg and lift up my other leg for a short period, which I couldn't do for a very long time when I had the other leg done, even then after several months, I could still feel tightness around the joint - alot more tightness than I an experiencing now.

I can do the side abductions without to much difficulty.. Last time, I couldn't even lift my leg up an inch to start with and it took several weeks of really hard work before I was able to do side abductions. The physio told me that I can use just one crutch when outside, though I think for now, I will remain with two until I have total confidence about that.

The key area seems to be the hip flexors need lengthening, but day by day, I am seeing improvements, turning from a sharp pain that I initially had to gradually feeling more like muscle working rather than potentially damaging them if stretched to much which is the last thing I want. My hip flexors on the other leg was a big issue aswell, alot more pain that went on for months, but I don't think I will have the same problem this time.

The incision has healed up really well. I have been told that I can now go into the pool to do exercises, but not swim until at 6 weeks. I have also been told, I pass the tests usually required to confirm whether can return to driving, but to wait until next week to make sure. Wow, last time I waited until 6 weeks, even then I had issues with a tight hip when sitting, that I just don't have now. What a difference!

I find it difficult to lie on both sides. On the non operated side, my legs don't lie together evenly, though this doesn't surprise me, as before the op my leg was slightly twisted which I think was due to the damaged joint. Now its correct, but all the muscles need to realign and object to being put into the position they are not used to, so it will take a bit of time. I practice every time I lie on the bed, to try to get used to the position and it is getting easier, even if the muscles are complaining.

I thought this time would be easier, for although my joint was really bad, grinding into the pelvis, I still had most movement so I was able to do hip exercises on for well over a year prior to surgery whereas with my other hip, I lost abductor movement for a couple of months prior to the op, so lost alot of muscle tone that really prolonged and made the recovery so much harder.

I am so looking forward to getting back into the pool next week, but will need to be very careful initially, just to walk up and down etc. no swimming!

Sounds like you are coming right along nicely. You will so enjoy the pool, I love just walking in it and floating. Enjoyed the Virgin Islands 2x's since my surgery and nothing like floating in salt water with a cocktail in your hand!
My son has salt water pool as well and spent time there over summer months, closed now for winter!

@Sukuma A suggestion about sleeping on your side... try putting a pillow between your knees. A regular bed pillow placed long way down your lower leg may help keep muscles supported and hips in a comfortable position for sleeping.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom