Guest viewing is limited

THR An Opportunity to Enjoy Life Again

I do find all of this very hard emotionally to cope with - my poor partner is having to put up with alot, I am lucky to have a very caring man tolerating me.
Recovery from hip replacement, and presumably any other major surgery, is certainly an emotional roller coaster. Try to focus on how much better some things are and deal with the other problems one at a time. Don't overthink things and remember to be kind to yourself
 
4.5 Month Anniversary.

The operated leg is healing very nicely , with the odd ache in the thigh when walking and around the incision. I still stiffen up when I have sat to long, but overall its all going in the right direction. My unoperated leg is a different story, ok during the day, but in the early hours of the morning hurts all down the thigh to the knee. I have been trying to work out what triggers this, concluding that it is most likely walking.

I am struggling to walk distances with my dogs, can only really cope with 1mile, mainly due to the the leg length differences, despite using a shoe lift. It's fine to start with, but once I get going, a pain appears in my shin on the operated leg and then in my groin on the unoperated one. Recently I have started getting knee pain in my unoperated leg, which again I think is related to the poor uneven gait - this is new, I have not had this problem before. A year prior to my surgery before the hip went downhill, I was regularly walking 5/6 miles, so whilst the operated hip complained about that - I didn't have any knee issues at all.

I have seen an orthodontist who said I have 3cm leg length discrepancy and using the Aliss test the discrepancy appears to be across both the femoral and tibial segement. So this aligns with the 3cm height difference that I measure when standing on the different legs. So, it could be I always had a difference but unaware of it. I have had lower back issues for a very, very long time. I also had two knee ops around age of 11 and 12 to impact the growth and correct knock knees, so the discrepancy could go back as far as that - but I will never know. I picked up the manufactured shoe lift today so will try this out in the next couple of days to determine what impact it has. It feels a little wierd, as this is at the correct height, unlike the ones I have been using that are lower, plus it holds my foot giving it more stability which hopefully will help my knee.

I felt somewhat despondant after the visit to the orthodontist, to be changing to another height that I will need to adapt to, worried about any potential long term damage to my knees. My unoperated leg has most movement except for full external rotation, it rotates outside partially, so it seems to early to be replaceing that one aswell - but it really does hurt at night. The pain eases when I start moving. I am crossing my fingers that the foot lift will help to provide more stability. Meanwhile, no pain at night from my operated leg - that is absolutly wonderful.
 
Last edited:
3 CM is quite a bit, over 1 inch in our measurements. How large is the lift they made for you?
The pain at night was my biggest problem with my hips, so nice to sleep without my hips aching. I can stand the stiffness and muscle pains during the day as a trade off for painless sleep.
 
Six month anniversary!!

I have been using a manufactured shoe lift now for about 5 weeks. Within 10 days of using the lift, the night pain disappeared in my non operated hip and I could start walking for longer periods of time. The shoe lift has made an enormous difference such that I have been able to extend my walking times with my dogs.

Today, I have lower back and groin pain, so suspect that I have been getting a bit to excited about being able to walk again with limited pain. I have walked my dogs 2.5 to 3 miles each day for the past couple of days, instead of gradually increasing the walking length and times, so suspect the my muscles still need a bit more building up to be able to do this length on a daily basis. The first couple of times was fine, but then it is accumulative. This has been on top of my regular one day on and one day off swimming. Despite the big decrease in pain on my right hip (non operated hip), plus having most range of motion, it is still very arthritic and makes itself known to me after about 2 miles that it's not happy. The operated hip has been great, the glutes start to complain about the 2 mile mark, but again I have noticed over time, I am able to go further before this happens. The glutes on the operated side are still not as strong as the non-operated arthritic hip, easily noticed with the side abductor leg lift exercise but they are definately getting better.

Its taking some time to get there, but certainly alot better than at the 4 month mark, when I thought I would have to get the other hip done before any decent dog walking would be possible. This change, I attribute mainly to ensuring my gait is as best as possible with the correct shoelift - which is 3cms. The replacement hasn't been an easy quick fix, takes alot of patience and time to get the muscles strong enough and working correctly. It's still not as good as I want it to be, but certainly considerable better.
 
Great update, isn't it wonderful to walk your dogs again???
Just don't overdo, we all have that habit of getting excited when we have progress and can end up in ODIC.
enjoy!
 
Happy Six Month Anniversary!
Today, I have lower back and groin pain, so suspect that I have been getting a bit to excited about being able to walk again with limited pain. I have walked my dogs 2.5 to 3 miles each day for the past couple of days, instead of gradually increasing the walking length and times, so suspect the my muscles still need a bit more building up to be able to do this length on a daily basis.
Consider slowing it down and gradually adding more time / distance as your body allows without pain afterward, or pain the next day. It’s good to read you’re doing so well overall. May it only get better! :)
 
Post-Op 8.5 Months

Time has moved on. Unfortunately, my right hip is bad such that I have scheduled a replacement for it in 8 days time.

Since I last posted, my ability to be able to walk distances has decreased considerably, such that in the past month or so, I have stopped walking my dogs. Prior to this I was still experiencing groin pain and general pain on the operated hip, however my surgeon told me, this was most likely due to my uneven hips (pelvis tilt etc.), increasing the strain across my back, with one hip working as it should and the other not, de-stablising the muscle mechanics when walking. His answer to all of this, was to get the other hip done.

I lowered to shoe lift to see if that made a difference and have been using that for a few weeks now. Instead all that has happened, is that I have given up trying to walk distances due to the pain, primarily in my un-operated hip although I can easily walk unaided around the house and short distances to/from and around shops for example without any issue. It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference with the height discrepancy and I still measure 1cm taller when standing on the operated leg than I used to be.

I still have most movement in the non operated hip, except twisting the knee inwards, which is very different from the left hip, that lost alot of the movement prior to the operation. The pain appears very sharp in the groin, different from what I experienced with left hip. I am hoping given that I have good movement, so have been able to continue with all the PT strengthening exercises without any issues, that the muscle strength will mean the second hip replacement recovery will be alot easier. I am also hoping that I will come out of the operation more level, that my hips will become more even. Lots of effort is continuing to go into building muscle strength and swimming, even though I am not walking much.

It's count down now, 21st October is the Op day. I feel less anxious about it, that I did the first time round as I know what to expect, though no doubt the anxiety will creep in as the day approaches. I have my fingers crossed, that this will resolve the uncomfortable walking I have with my replacement hip, as it still feels very odd and out of place, not really mine. I am hoping that the disparity between the two hips is causing my brain to say this to me, rather than anything else. I am worried that with a slightly longer offset, that this is causing the odd feeling, though it is a better than what I started with. I did get a second opinion, just to make sure - nothing different was said, it was the same message I got from my surgeon. He did point out to me that prior to the Op the femur head (the bit removed) was looked slightly shorter than the other on the X-ray.

I will be so pleased when it's all over!!
 
Last edited:
Hi @Sukuma Good to hear you are getting that troublesome hip replaced and that you have had a second opinion to confirm what's causing the difficulties. My experience is that although there is still some apprehension, the build-up to the second hip replacement is much less scary than the first time around. Recovery was essentially similar but different (slower for me but then there was 5 years between ops). Now at 9m post 2nd THR there is little difference between the two joints. Wishing you all the best.
 
Thankfully not too long to go now, Sukuma.
Wishing you comfort as you await your surgery date!
@Sukuma
 
Hi! I followed your recovery thread with interest as your rate of progress week by week is very similar to mine this time around.

Best of luck! At least you know what to expect…. I’m 9-10 weeks into my second hip replacement and it is going ok. I have every confidence that it was the right decision to get my hip done and as I “only” had to wait two years this time rather than three the muscles were in a better condition to aid recovery.

Will you do anything different this time based on what you learnt from the previous time?

We will all be cheering you on :-)
 
Last edited:
Would I do anything different this time? Good question.

My surgery is tomorrow. I am anxious, but considerably less anxious than I was the first time round, when I seemed to be panicing about anything and everything, stressing my partner out with my stress. It didn't help that I tested positive for MRSA on my skin the first time round- though that got treated before the surgery. It also meant that I was the last in theatre on the day, so I didn't come out of theatre until 9pm.

I was particularly anxious about my dogs potentially bumping into me , but now I know as long as I have my crutches with me, they will keep their distance, they quickly understood the boundary lines around me. They are large, 38kg and 46kgs, so its important that they maintain distance. Last time, I hid in the bedroom with the dogs in other rooms, until I felt ready to be in the same room - though I discovered that as long as they were settled down, it really wasn't a problem at all.

Last time, my major concern was blood clots, plus I don't like taking medication of any sort unless it is really required. I got nauseous taking omeprazole, so stopped taking it, just made sure I had food with the asprin and ibruprofin that worked out fine. I only took pain killers for 3 days, after that it was on an as needed basis. Omeprazole is supposed to stop the nauseous feeling not create it. Recalling this, has reminded me I need to ask about that again when I see the pharmacist that should be the same one I spoke to last time about this. I made sure I moved on a regular basis, to keep the blood flowing - I will do the same this time. The movement, I am hoping will be easier this time, as I have alot more flexibility in this hip than I did the first time round, so have been able to keep up the muscle strength alot more.

Travelling in the car will be fine, I am not worried about getting in and out of bed as I was previously, or worried about my potential ability to cope that I was very worried about before.

I am hoping walking will be considerably easier than last time, that the length leg discrepancy will reduce. This in itself caused me considerable discomfort and anxiety, not able to walk properly with the height difference (3cm perceived or not, it was reality for me). I shed many tears over this, struggling to understand why the difference seemed to be so prominant, feeling totally unbalanced, unable to walk properly. This set me back alot the first time round. I still have that issue now, though its been easier to deal with as the operated hip muscles are alot stronger to manage the unbalanced walking, it may be a little less difference and using a foot lift, but I am really hoping that I will end up alot more balanced. Aside from the blood clots, this is my biggest long term worry and for me this balancing up will determine the overall surgery success.

The recovery process does take time, so even though I have been through it before and know this, I do wonder if I will get just as frustrated with not being able to do things and get out of the house. Settling into a routine every day definately helped to fill in the time and like last time, I have signed up to an on line history course to keep my thoughts absorbed in a subject I thoroughly enjoy to help keep the discomfort at bay, in between my little walks and PT exercises, spaced out during the day.

A close friend is a MLD practitioner. Last time she gave me a pre-op and post-op lymphatic drainage massage, though I have no idea whether it actually did anything. It was nice to have the attention and a gossip. The bruise on my leg disappeared within days, not that I had much bruising, or noticeable swelling. We are doing the same this time round.

My partner as before, will be there constantly for me - the total sweetheart he is.

SurreyGirl - did you do anything different?
 
Last edited:
Would I do anything different this time? Good question.

My surgery is tomorrow. I am anxious, but considerably less anxious than I was the first time round, when I seemed to be panicing about anything and everything, stressing my partner out with my stress. It didn't help that I tested positive for MRSA on my skin the first time round- though that got treated before the surgery. It also meant that I was the last in theatre on the day, so I didn't come out of theatre until 9pm.

I was particularly anxious about my dogs potentially bumping into me , but now I know as long as I have my crutches with me, they will keep their distance, they quickly understood the boundary lines around me. They are large, 38kg and 46kgs, so its important that they maintain distance. Last time, I hid in the bedroom with the dogs in other rooms, until I felt ready to be in the same room - though I discovered that as long as they were settled down, it really wasn't a problem at all.

Last time, my major concern was blood clots, plus I don't like taking medication of any sort unless it is really required. I got nauseous taking omeprazole, so stopped taking it, just made sure I had food with the asprin and ibruprofin that worked out fine. I only took pain killers for 3 days, after that it was on an as needed basis. Omeprazole is supposed to stop the nauseous feeling not create it. Recalling this, has reminded me I need to ask about that again when I see the pharmacist that should be the same one I spoke to last time about this. I made sure I moved on a regular basis, to keep the blood flowing - I will do the same this time. The movement, I am hoping will be easier this time, as I have alot more flexibility in this hip than I did the first time round, so have been able to keep up the muscle strength alot more.

Travelling in the car will be fine, I am not worried about getting in and out of bed as I was previously, or worried about my potential ability to cope that I was very worried about before.

I am hoping walking will be considerably easier than last time, that the length leg discrepancy will reduce. This in itself caused me considerable discomfort and anxiety, not able to walk properly with the height difference (3cm perceived or not, it was reality for me). I shed many tears over this, struggling to understand why the difference seemed to be so prominant, feeling totally unbalanced, unable to walk properly. This set me back alot the first time round. I still have that issue now, though its been easier to deal with as the operated hip muscles are alot stronger to manage the unbalanced walking, it may be a little less difference and using a foot lift, but I am really hoping that I will end up alot more balanced. Aside from the blood clots, this is my biggest long term worry and for me this balancing up will determine the overall surgery success.

The recovery process does take time, so even though I have been through it before and know this, I do wonder if I will get just as frustrated with not being able to do things and get out of the house. Settling into a routine every day definately helped to fill in the time and like last time, I have signed up to an on line history course to keep my thoughts absorbed in a subject I thoroughly enjoy to help keep the discomfort at bay, in between my little walks and PT exercises, spaced out during the day.

A close friend is a MLD practitioner. Last time she gave me a pre-op and post-op lymphatic drainage massage, though I have no idea whether it actually did anything. It was nice to have the attention and a gossip. The bruise on my leg disappeared within days, not that I had much bruising, or noticeable swelling. We are doing the same this time round.

My partner as before, will be there constantly for me - the total sweetheart he is.

SurreyGirl - did you do anything different?
 
Hi
Yes I did sone things differently… due to the benefit of hindsight.

1) I wasn’t as afraid of the spinal this time as knew what do expect

2) I ate lightly the night before (no curry this time!)

3) I knew there would be some pain after the op and was pretty insistent I got my pain meds in time (see my recovery blog!)

4) I had a lot of bruising and used the ice machine at the recovery home a lot

5) this is the biggest difference … I used enough physio to get me moving, handle steps and to get more mobility But I refused bridges, clams and rubber bands. I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and listened to the Bonesmart guidelines. Result is I am way ahead compared to last time.
6) once home I did walking, minor physio and made sure I put me feet up, elevated abd iced a lot. I bought some packs from Amazon that I could strap to my hip.

7) I only came off two crutches when I felt secure and concentrated on walking properly without a limp.

8) I made sure I had a social life and a few things to look forward to each week that were in the diary whether it was a zoom chat with friends or seeing them in person

9) I watched a lot of easy stuff on Netflix as a distraction

10) and if my husband wanted to help I let him rather than trying to be heroic…

I learnt a lot from the mistakes I made last time!

Best of luck with your recovery xx ..
 
My partner as before, will be there constantly for me - the total sweetheart he is.
I have signed up to an on line history course to keep my thoughts absorbed in a subject I thoroughly enjoy to help keep the discomfort at bay
A close friend is a MLD practitioner. Last time she gave me a pre-op and post-op lymphatic drainage massage, though I have no idea whether it actually did anything
Love all of the above! Educating yourself and occupying your mind, nurturing a friendship while receiving the benefits of a MLD massage...all under the watchful eye of a loving caregiver, your partner. :loveshwr:
Best Wishes! I will look forward to following your recovery, Sukuma.
 
Good luck tomorrow! I have 2 large doggies as well. They are still working on settling down as they are still quite young. Any helpful tips regarding dogs and THR would be appreciated as I have another hip which needs replacement.
 
See you on the Healing Side once again, my hippy friend.
Last one and done!:happydance:
 
Day Two.

Saturday seems an unusual day to have an operation, so set off arriving at 7am and in the theatre by 11am and out back in my room by 1pm. The nurses at the hospital were brilliant, kind, compassionate, responsive and very patient, though I did wonder given it was the weekend so the surgery list was alot smaller, it meant they had a little breathing space, though still very busy. All the staff were great. I told the anethatist that last time I woke up shivering after the Op - he said he would make sure I was warm enough and yip, to my delight, I didn't shiver this time when I woke up, though I thought it was reaction to the drugs rather than the cold. It was a private hospital, so the food was excellent. I could have done without the pain on the first night after the first opiod pre-op med wore off, but hey we all go through this, and just concentrate on, this WILL get better. I must have listened to a complete audio book on Sat night - as didn't get any sleep at all.

Sunday spent seeing the physio for checks to leave, getting up and walking around, going to the loo etc, prior to coming home. I eagerly stood on my new hip for the first time, with the leg discrepancy issue in the forefront of my mind - grinning away to myself as my right newly operated leg felt slightly longer, rather than the shorter as it has felt for months - What a result!!!! A day later, whilst walking feels unbalanced and odd, I have total confidence that my legs are now at the same length, possibly slightly different, but nothing like I had been feeling since January. I am very confident once the hip has settled in, the muscles are working as they should, swelling has gone down etc. in a few months time, I will be walking evenly. I am so, so, chuffed.

My surgeon stopped by at lunchtime, to report there was the same issue as my other side in that he had to put in a slightly larger cup than he had planned, to ensure no dislocation issues, but it matches the other one. He told me the hip was worse than the other one and really did need to be replaced. I had been putting it off, bracing myself to go through the endless recovery cycle, that will now start.

Sunday night at home was tricky, trying to find a comfortable way to lie in bed, in alot of pain but reluctant to take morphine, as I do have some. Paracetamol and ibruprofen gobbled down, alot of wriggling surrounded by pillows to find the sweet spot to get some sleep. Sleep drifted in - HOORAY!!!!

It's now Sunday. I have completed leg slides in bed. My leg will slide upwards and downwards with a struggle, however my abductors have gone off on holiday and just refuse to work, so gave up with that one. Getting on and off the bed it a big enough challenge - with me grunting and groaning with the effort, attempting to slide back and lift my leg up that just doesn't want to move. The hip flexors are making it very clear that they are not interested in working either.

The dogs are puzzled as they have been kept away from me that has really unsettled them given that I am in the house, but they haven't seen me since I returned home. They can hear me huffing and puffing, then swearing as my phone drops off the bedside cabinet onto the floor. One doesn't realise until they are actually in the situation what a disaster this is, the phone dropping onto the floor. The first effort is to figure out how to get off the bed, with minimum pain. This becomes particularly frustrating when I can't work out where I have put the leg lifter, to help me move my operated leg off the bed, only to realise that it has fallen down the side of the bed that I can't reach. Ok, I can slide my leg off the bed, then, it's hunt the grabber to be able to pick up the phone. Once this is in my hand, I then discover that the phone just slides out of the grabber, so I have to actually get up. This means getting hold of the crutches, sliding the operated leg forward and putting all my weight onto the left hip to pull myself up onto the cructhes. I then chase the phone all over the bedroom floor with the grabber while constantly grumbling, staggering around with the crutches. Once the phone has been retrieved, its then, put the crutches in the right place so I can get old of them, pick up the leg lifter with the grabber, rearrange my pillows on the bed as they need to be in a certain position for comfort. At this point, I need a breather, while bracing myself to wriggle backwards and figure out how to get the operated leg, a dead weight, back up onto the bed, while swearing, puffing and grunting. The whole episode takes forever. I am left lying flat on my back staring at the ceiling, completely exhorsted, with the last thing to go is to rearrange all the pillows for comfort. It's 4am, I am knackered and after this gymnastics, wide awake and in pain.

Oh well, it will get better, I tell myself. :elevate:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom