Guest viewing is limited

THR Always MOVING forward after RTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Rebecca65 . I think a lot of the confusion about whether or not PT is a Good Thing comes down to the fact that people are talking about different things! For a start, it's 'PT' in the US but 'physio(therapy)' in the UK. Then, it's at home or at the hospital or at some other place. Then again, it's self-guided, or something you do with a therapist or therapy assistant. Plus, there are variations in the types of exercises, their difficulty, their intensity, and the number of repeats... :chinstroke::dubious: So, some people call simple gentle self-guided exercises 'PT' and others only use the term for hour-long gruelling sessions with a qualified professional!

I'm in the UK in an area that arranges home visits from a physical therapist or physio assistant, approx. weekly for the first 6 weeks. This is unusual, apparently, so I count myself lucky. But this 'therapy' was at first focused on making sure I was confident getting in and out of bed and up and down stairs, and able to move my leg a bit. Then I was given simple exercises like heel slides in bed and glute squeezes in the chair. Each time, the physio added a couple more exercises, so that now (6 weeks out) I have a set of about 15-20 different ones. They have been very insistent that the focus is on control of movement, not exercise or strength. I was told to only do 5 repeats, 3 times a day. They have been clear that if anything hurts, you don't do it. To me, this is good quality, valuable PT - and I definitely think it has helped me. It has given me confidence, improved muscle control and strength, and a body-awareness that helps me realise how I am moving, and makes sure movements are 'right'. The physio also picked up on weak knees, and has given me exercises to help with that, which will hopefully head off some future problems. I am recovering well, and I think if I hadn't had this PT, I wouldn't be doing so well, wouldn't have moved so much and so confidently, and would probably have developed a limp. But I have never broken a sweat or been tired or in pain, so some people may think it doesn't count as PT!

When people say PT 'isn't needed' I think maybe they mean the hard stuff. You don't need to push your hip when you're recovering from a THR, IMO. But I do think it's really useful to learn about how your body moves and learn how to move it well... That doesn't come naturally to everyone, especially those of us who were disabled, or who developed bad habits pre-op.
 
Hey folks here's a new one for me. Pain in lower leg seems to be better although not entirely gone. Surprise, surprise. All of a sudden, I'm having pain on the outside of my opposite foot. My thinking is, it's probably from putting more weight on my left side because of the pain on the right side. Also doing some foot exercises I learned in physical therapy in my bare feet...Who the heck knew that would be an issue? I always wear good support sneakers when I walk, so I doubt that's an issue, but who knows as I'm doing a regular walking routine now. Anyone else have this problem, or have had it? Any ideas?
 
Also, yes to icing and elevating...my son snagged a regular hospital chair that reclines and elevates...what a life saver.
@Rebecca65 - Where can I "snag" such a chair? I'm soooooo tired of staying in bed and still can't walk for too long. Sitting in the hospital was a blessing, sitting at home in my chairs is hell. Would appreciate any advice on this...
 
Hi allahere....this probably won't be too much help as my son is friends with a guy that owns a surgical supply store. He took it back last week when I was doing much better, it definitely went back too soon, lol. If financial isn't a problem you could check with that type of store, as they do rent them. Not sure of the cost. Good luck and I know what you mean I spent many a night in that chair with the blanket not covering my foot, cause I had such sensitivity.
 
Hi all...it's been quite a while since I felt the need to post here. I'm 4 months out of surgery, was April 4. I've been back to work cleaning and organizing houses and gardening and rarely even need an advil or tylanol. A couple of nights ago I was all of a sudden getting the old pain down outside of leg and all the way to outside of foot. This happened once before and only lasted about 3 days before it passed. Our weather has been changing drastically with temp and humidity, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. Anyway I'm just checking to see if other people have had similar setbacks this far out and wondering whether I should get ahold of Dr. or just expect that at this point I'm going to tweak it from time to time. The only thing I can think of that might have contributed is getting on my hands and knees and then pushing myself up. Thanks ahead of any responses.
 
At 4 months you are still in recovery and should not be doing all that stuff. Full recovery takes upwards of 6 months! And are you still doing your exercises as well?

What you have done is cause inflammation of your ITB (ilio-tibial band) which needs careful treatment.
 
I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery.

The reasons for this are that it
1. makes it easier for guests to read the continuous story of a member's recovery - the most important reason
2. avoids people duplicating and repeating things like links to articles
3. helps us to refresh on what you've had done and when, plus what advice was given previously
5. keeps all advice previously given on hand for the poster
6. makes it unnecessary for the member to keep repeating surgery details
7. just makes it easier for everyone all round!

Thank you very much!
 
Wow...I guess I was looking for a little empathy. Unfortunately, I'm one of those women who still needs to work for a living. It seems, after doing some research, that I'm not the only one who has had this problem and it is actually pretty common...so whatever I've done, there are plenty of other people who have done it right along with me. Maybe there is someone else out there in bonesmart land who could give me some tips on how they have dealt with it.
 
Rebecca, it is unfortunate that you have to be working at such a physical job so soon after your THR. The reality is that it does really take a good one to two years for all the healing to take place, and soft tissue injuries are terribly easy to acquire as we resume our normal lives. IT band issues seem to be fairly common among us....I still have flare-ups on my right side a good three years after surgery. Mine tends to be triggered by two things....one is when I am sitting too much. The other is when I am standing too much. Consistent walking on level ground with a good rest period after two miles is my best bet.

At the worst of the IT band troubles, I found getting a weekly massage that zeroed in on breaking up the tight tissues....stretching from the top of the thigh down to the ankle....was what finally broke the chain of pain for me. I did this for a month, then bi-weekly for another month. Now when I feel a flare-up, I make a conscious effort to better modulate my rest and activity periods.

At four months, it may be too early to do that much hands-on manipulation of the tissues. Check with your OS. But it does indeed sound like you need to figure out ways to do your job with less strain on your tissues. The more you are pushing or pulling, the more you are up and down, the more you are doing repetitive motions that strain....the more you will keep hurting the same already-inflamed tissue. Whatever you can avoid or let go or do a different way....the better.

Sharon
 
Hi Sharon...thanks so much for your response will be making apt with Dr. in the a.m., just to make sure there isn't anything that's loosened etc. From researching, I'm thinking that I might benefit from some stretching work with the physical therapist, also my son has several massage appts left that he hasn't used. Yes, it's definitely time to pay more attention to what I'm doing. No more hands and knees and unfortunately for this year no more digging. It's extremely frustrating to be doing so well, with so little pain, and then wham it's another set back and also brings back the memories of pain pre surgery. I'm trying to be hopeful that it's only a short term setback. It's very helpful to hear from people further along and hopefully since I have an excellent surgeon, he can also point me in the right direction. I will definitely be asking if he recommends deep massage at this point post surgery. And then the cycle of stress, more than usual with my family at the moment, doesn't help either. Also, there is the question of which meds to be taking again. Was also trying to get in the habit of walking again, and have let that slip...when this thing cools down I'm back to it as I've been told over and over that walking is the best strengthening exercise. Taking off a few pounds would also be helpful. Again, thanks for your encouragement will keep in touch with my progress.....Rebecca Also, is there any way to change the title of my thread, as it still reads 4 wks out??? Definitely not a puter genie...lol
 
Hope all is well with you soon, @Rebecca65. We are requesting that you put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR). You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. This information is very helpful and necessary when answering your questions and concerns.

Please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2014 or 10 Jan. 2014 rather than 1/10/14 or 10/1/14.

Thanks so much for your cooperation.
 
@Rebecca65, if you will let me know what you'd like your thread title changed to, I will make the change for you. Just tag me.
 
Hi all...was on my way out the door to do just one cleaning job, when I realized how impossible that was going to be. I called and got apt with Dr. for tomorrow at 11:45, spoke with a friend who ask me if I was completely out of my mind. Yes, sometimes. So took pain medication, anxiety medication, an ibuprofen and am down for the count. The tears have finally come and the realization of how much pain I'm really in has sunk in. Nothing I did during the night helped...ice, heat, nothing. My mind is telling me this won't be forever, but my emotions aren't listening. Hopefully I'll get a smile and some positiveness (I don't even think that's a word) from my Dr. It's a blessing to know that other people have been in this situation before me. Thanks for all your kind feedback. Rebecca
 
Getting you pain under control and figuring out the cause is primary. Let work go until you achieve this. Will be interested to see what your OS says.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sometimes the pain and then the exhaustion followed by the anxiety just wipes you out....sometimes a good cry is the only way!
Do hope your doc can help you out @Rebecca65..... Sometimes because the magic 12 week period is in our mind we expect to be 'done' at 4 months...but it is still a long but steady road from there. I, too, had high levels of anxiety ...was I doing too much, not enough?). But at around 6 months everything slotted into place....it's a difficult process this recovery....do hope things get better for you. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Hoppy...yes, I tend to just keep going no matter what. My body is definitely saying "yea you think?" I did also speak with the physical therapist I was working with before, and he said he thought he could definitely help with stretching, deep massage, and heat. I will be speaking with the Dr. about it tomorrow. In the mean time I'm hoping I won't have to be laid up for any length of time. It is a big frustration to be trying to get my life back to working order, but then as they say "the best laid plans of mice and men". My sense of humor has taken a short leave of absence. I know eventually it will pass. Thanks so much for your encouragement. Rebecca
 
Hi all...just back from Dr. Very good news my hip is fine. Diagnosis was bursitis and was given a cortisone shot. He said it would be a day or 2 before I would know how much it's going to help...if not better he would give me another in 2 weeks. No real restrictions other than take it as easy as I can...best to not be in any one position for any length of time. No physical therapy at the moment as he thinks it will just irritate it further. But he sees no reason why I can't work at least half a day. Also, try and drop some weight...like I havn't figured that out for myself. He said these problems sometimes arise because of our gait being different after surgery esp the longer we went limping before we had it done. So going to relax the rest of the day and then get on with it. Thank you all for your comments and concern....Rebecca
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom