THR Always MOVING forward after RTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Rebecca65 , bursitis is very common post THR - especially if you have been over doing things. Scale back as much as you can and let that injection work. Then easy does it with the activity. Build up SLOWLY so that hip does not get angry again. It's a balancing act and can be frustrating. But in the end things will settle and get back to normal.
 
Great news! Just a matter of kicking it down a few notches and letting your body heal. So glad it's manageable!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for all your encouragement. I would say the pain is much more manageable today...probably half. Hopefully I'm one of those lucky people that the cortisone shots work for. I do have to laugh as I woke up with a UTI, which definitely explains the lower back pain which I don't normally have. My GP must still love me because he called in prescription for antibiotic without me seeing him. I love it when they trust that when you have to pee every 5 min and have burning you can figure it out by yourself. At any rate hopefully it'll be better in 48 hrs as I'm planning a sorely needed 4 day get away up in Massachusetts...even if all I do is sit by the pool with a book, it will give me some time to clear my head. At any rate, I'm feeling much more in control today...and as my older son always reminds me "Some days you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you". Thinking about all of you in hip land.....Rebecca
 
Oh well I should have know it was too good to be true. Back to nagging pain during night. Guess it will take this a while to calm down. Did only one job today and will be resting the rest. Jaycee you're sure right about the balancing act. I just have to keep remembering that I'm walking a whole different way now, after limping for so long. Good news is friend going on trip with me is having hip issues also, so neither one of us will be sprinting. I am still going forward in a couple weeks with physical therapy, as this tightness feels like stretching can only help.
Hope everyone having a good day in bone land...Rebecca
 
@Rebecca65, hope your pain lessens as the day goes on. Such a tight wire we walk, isn't it??

Might try alternating a heating pad with icing to see if you can get a break-through. Don't forget to take them on your trip, too. My ice packs are my new BFF.

Enjoy some vacay time!! I'm jealous!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all...thought maybe it would help to vent my frustrations as I know a lot of you have dealt with these same nagging issues. Spent yesterday in severe pain from IT band and hip bursitis. Actually took pain medication other than advil for first time in ages. Have been doing physical therapy for the past few weeks, but doesn't seem to be helping in fact I think maybe it's too much. Back to Dr. tomorrow for 2nd cortisone shot...the 1st one was useless. I'm also going to ask for MRI or ultrasound just to see if there is anything else going on. Pain seems to be worse instead of better...all the way down outside of leg into foot and across buttocks which is new. My fav is when they talk about repetitive motion not being good....isn't walking repetitive motion???? Ok I know I'm whining, but I'm thinking at least before new hip I could sleep. I also love articles that say hip bursitis should be better in a couple of weeks...lol they aren't living in my world. Ah well up and moving and thanks ahead for any input. Surgery date April 4, 2014...Rebecca
 
Hoping that pain eases off for you @Rebecca65....it must be very frustrating for you but I know from reading others threads with bursitis it can take some time to heal....perhaps ease off the PT for a week or so and see if it helps. Take care..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Rebecca65,
[Bonesmart.org] Always MOVING forward after RTHR
Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi and thanks for encouragement. Went to Dr. this am and he gave me second shot of cortisone. They also took Xrays of back to rule out any contributing factors from that. They want me to continue walking and stretching, but no PT. Thinking with my work it's just too much. It felt good coming from the Dr. mouth, as I was in agreement with that. He also gave me a prescription cream to rub into area and said it would take a few days to see results from that, so will wait a week or so, so I'll know whether the cortisone shot is working and won't confuse results. Also, as aggravating as it is, back on pain meds for awhile....esp on nights I can't sleep. Also got a lecture from one of my sons about loosing weight, which I now think is time to make a priority. I think it made him feel good being on that side of the lecture...lol, harder to take than to dish out...ah well he is right and I will begin that direction immediately. I'm sure I'll have dreams about Lays chips, but when I think of the pain I have a feeling it will be a good motivator. Everything else looks good with hip, so I am very thankful for that. This is definitely a marathon, not a sprint. Rebecca
 
Good morning to everybody...I am astounded, (I don't know why) with the amt. of pain with this bursitis and IT band. I am back to dreading going to bed as that is when it's at it's worse. I fall asleep and then wake up in agony. I took as little pain medication as possible when I was in early recovery, but am very thankful for them now, although limiting to during the night as that's the worse. I'm continuing to do stretching exercises and have scheduled a massage thinking they can just concentrate on that nasty, NASTY, IT band...My kitties look at me in the morning like "what the hell is wrong with her?" as it takes me forever to bend down for the cat bowl...I'm still waiting for relief from the cortisone shot, I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait. I'm searching for project for winter to do with my hands, and debating on recliner chair or at least asking my son to try and snag the one I had after my surgery...I don't know about anyone else, but pillows to elevate are a twisting nightmare. I am also using the cream proscribed (Voltaren), which I think is just a creamy form of NSAID...I'm sorry to say I have also joined the DREADED wt watchers, and am seriously wondering how I'm going to sit through a meeting, how's that for an excuse???...and at the moment I'm hoping I'm not the first one to die of bursitis...thanks for listening. I live alone and trust me my adult children and friends are getting a little distance...it is nice to have a place to vent...Rebecca
 
Hi all...I must admit I was wondering why I wasn't getting any response here. I have always been sort of a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. But since I've been having such trouble with IT band and bursitis, I thought okay well I'm not giving up as I know there are people here who have and are having the same issues. I went back and read so many responses from people who have had these issues, and actually laughed out loud with a response from Jo, saying "it felt like she had a machete rammed into her buttock". I guess, being an eternal optimist, I thought I would get a new hip and low and behold problem solved...moving right along. It has been quite a jolt and humbling to be dealing with this pain, which is worse than anything pre surgery. I have for now settled on Ibprofen and Tylanol together along with ice and more ice. Gave up, as Sharon did I noted, with physical therapy...a month and it was too much. Am now doing deep massage once a week and can feel relief in the short term directly afterward. Tried walking more to strengthen the muscles and it brought only more agony...I am still cleaning houses...trying to survive on one a day. Trying to hold on to the fact that at some point in time I will get some relief.
 
You have a lot on your plate Rebecca, cleaning houses are not an easy task.. I feel for you :)

Regards the bursitis, I went out strong and perhaps a little too hard with my Nordic Walking (refer my article in the Social Room) and ended up with a nice case of Greater Trochanter Bursitis. I was offered a cortisone shot, but declined and decided to rest it.. resting worked a treat. I was still working and doing general living tasks but now great treks..
 
Funny you should ask Canuk, I ordered the roller yesterday and also a compression band for above my knee, which I'm told might help with the pressure...we shall see. Had a great talk with my older son yesterday, he is a marathon runner and he was very helpful. He was talking to me about patience and how long I had the problem before I actually had the surgery. Will go back to walking the short distances, rather than being such a baby. Also, as a bit of humor, I was using my rolling pin on my leg, but it brought back too many memories of rolling pie dough. Another son has decided it's probably time to go buy a new mattress...I'm thinking maybe an early Christmas present. I think I'm also forgetting how crabby it makes me when I initially give up the junk food in return for a healthier weight. In addition my sinus infection is finally draining what more could I ask for....hope everyone has a good day and very thankful for people who I know face or are facing the same issues...Rebecca
 
@Rebecca65

Yes that is definitely the way to go.....use the advice of a marathon runner! He is giving you all the same suggestions I would from being a masters triathlete. Trust me the pain is temporary and stick withe exercises for the foam roller....show the PT to get specific exercises for rolling the IT band. Now it will be sore at first but extra strength Tylenol type of pain but you have to work through it as it gets better!

Good luck, start from square one to work on those issues of IT periformis and ice the band in particular. I know that you clean houses....remember to bend withe knees not over from the waist and take your grabber with you for reaching

Cheryl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom