THR Almostready is Ready! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine it is just recovery pain almost. Cut back on the activity. Ice and rest for a few days. Are you taking any pain meds?

It is still early days for you. Please don't worry about the aches and pains. They are part of healing.
 
No, it sounds like common or garden post-op pain! At 4 weeks, it's bound to come and go.

What pain meds are you taking, how much and how often?
 
Uh oh, none except sometimes some ibuprofen if I wake up sore in the middle of the night. Maybe I should start something again...
 
Hi already I am 4 days behind you and following your posts. Thread is challenging day 11.
Check out staffknot ..alan. he really said it all when he explained how we need to deal with this process. No way I could've said it so perfect.
Anyways I'm pulling for you (us) and it really gets better..hurry up and wait.. you are doing more than I can yet. Muscle aches and pain. Walker and I think too much rest but low energy still. Work return tentative 2.15.
Hard to look past tonite...patience...
Cindylu:-)
 
I am about 2 weeks ahead of you and the pain you describe is exactly what I am dealing with (bothers me the most during the night and first thing in the morning and when I do those awful leg lifts!) I am assuming that it is recovery pain - seems worse now than a few weeks ago but I am really thinking to ease off the leg lifts for a while, walk more and try to strengthen the other muscles. Hope you feel better soon!
Judy
 
Thanks, Judy! I went to the PT yesterday. She massaged (euphemism) my psoas muscle, then put heat on it and then had me stretch it by hanging my leg off the side of the table while I was lying down. It made a huge difference for a couple of hours. She said I should not do anything exercises with hip flexion until this calms down. She thinks the muscle was traumatized by the process of dislocation and is just super tight and reactive which is pulling on the tendon, causing pain. I also tried alternating heat and ice last night which seemed to work well.

Thanks, Cindy! I was supposed to go back to work 1/2 days today. On top of everything, I have a cold, so I pushed the off by a couple more days. If it doesn't go well, I'll have to postpose further. My full time return is scheduled for 2/13.
 
Wise to delay going back to work full time if you can.. you sound like you need more time to take care of yourself - you come first xxx
 
I am happy to report that I went to work for 6 hours yesterday and 5 hours today. I was really tired afterwards, but it went fine! I felt more tenuous with some of the logistics in terms of getting dressed and walking to and fro than I anticipated, but after doing it once, I know I can do it and how much time I need, etc. It's nice to use the brain a bit again. I have two part-time positions and am lucky not to have to go back to the other one for another 2 and 1/2 weeks which feels just about right at the moment. I also graduated to bridges with leg lifts at PT today, woo hoo! :yay:
 
Great job Jen, working and PT!!! Please relax as much as possible when your home though, you deserve/need it:thumb:
 
PT and work - that's alot to handle so early out. Hope you can rest!
 
Hi everyone,
I'm having a new issue and am wondering if anyone else has felt this: for the last few nights, I am being woken up by intense spasms in my psoas muscle. I can feel it all the way from my groin through my abdomen, and wow, it hurts. It only happens when I'm sleeping. I've got a heating pad on it now, and it's settling down. This is very strange. I hope it goes away as some of the other things I've noticed seem to have. Otherwise, I feel good.
 
I had major muscle spasms post op almost. Heat worked for me too!

The good news is these will ease with time. Light stretches also helped me.
 
Hi AlmostReady,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On Driving. I say, no way! Not yet. It killed me not to drive, depending on other to tote me around like a bag of groceries but you realy have to wait. Remember, do everything that the dr. said to do, and not do. I am confident he said to wait at least 5-6 weeks before you get behind the wheel of a car.
<o:p>
On your leg length. Everyone is saying the same thing. Try to relax. Your new apparatus has to set in there with all those muscles and tendons ... you are still swollen inside so it can't get to the place it needs to be yet [make sense?]. When the internal swelling goes down you should start to see progress [trying to remember ... my Dr said I was still swollen at 11 weeks]. Even then, it will take more time.
Keep walking. Your new hip will like the workout and walking motion will be guiding it in to where it needs to be. Patience grasshopper.
</o:p>

I love your progress reports. You have made tremendous progress. Pain free alone has to be HUGE. Enjoy it!!! I wrote my progress down so I could look back. It always made me smile. <o:p></o:p>
Congrats.
 
Hi everyone,
I went to the doctor today for my 6 week check-up and thought I would give you an update. First of all, the visit was sooo anti-climactic. "Everything looks good, see you in a year!" I mean, he was nice about it, but I feel like he is the father of my new hip and should want to spend more time with it! :) Oh, and I also have a screw that I didn't know about.

So at 6 weeks, here are the things I can do.
Work: have been going for about 4 hours/day (all sitting)

Walking: max so far--have walked for about 60 min max on hilly terrain (no pain, just some limping with fatigue at the end)

Driving: no problem, have been doing this for three weeks (had the left done and not the right)

Household: can do everything. Standing in the kitchen to cook something that takes more than an hour is tiring.

Sleep: mostly sleep through the night now and can be comfortable on either side, but I do move around a lot.

Social: can see friends, go out to eat, wear normal clothes and don't get too tired anymore.

Exercise: can easily do stationary bike, do "footwork" and leg presses on the Reformer (Pilates machine), bridges with straight leg raises, mini-lunges and mini-squats, other PT things, still have yet to try out the water.

Personal hygiene?: can just barely shave my operated leg, can put on shoes and socks if I'm sitting on a step, can pretty much put on pants and underwear the "normal" way. I haven't tried to sit in the tub, but I'm sure I could.

Pain: none, unless I sit too long or move past my current range of motion.

The things I want to do next but can't yet are sit on the floor "Indian-style" and hold the leash when walking our 65 lb. dog. After that, it would be...ride my bike outside, go to a Pilates or yoga class. Might wait til 3 months for those last ones.

My doc said that we'll take a "wait and see" approach to my other hip. He said that after the initial increase in stress on the non-operated leg, it can often get better. Hearing him say that made me feel like, wow, maybe I can get on with my life for a bit....perhaps even have a baby before I need to get the other one done. Suddenly lots of possibilities seemed to be there again. We'll see!
 
PS: thought the Bonesmart community might like this photo :) Who can identify the bone?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Almostready is Ready! :-)
    IMG_0405.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 169
Ready:

I thought "Indian Style" was a lifetime no-no. :scratch: Did you get some other advice?

Sounds like you are doing great!
 
My doc said the only thing I can't do "forever" is flex at the hip past 100 degrees while at the same time crossing my leg over my body. For example in yoga, the seated spinal twist with the op leg bent up and crossed over the other leg...it seems everyone hears different things from their docs. I know someone who will never sit in a booth because of the movement it takes to get in and out....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom