THR Almost 3months and now new problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lalo . That's quite a sad story. We are certainly at the mercy of the medical system. I sure hope this time around is a lot easier for you. I have a friend who had a pinning the first time around which failed and about a year later had the same doctor do the THR and then a second hip! She has had great results both times. So don't beat yourself up, it might have had nothing to do with that surgeon. Depending on your age, anyone might have made the same decision. Good luck this time.
 
Re PT: I do use PT often and have used dry needleing pre op for muscle spasms and tightness -it works very well. Also I have had a tendon snapping while walking (on my good hip since the op) and the PT did give me an exercise for that which works. I find you have to get a good PT and I have a sweetheart. She asks all the right questions.
 
@Granny Di Yep. The right PT at the right time can make all the difference! Just wasn't right for me this time around and I had two different PTs, really liked the second one but still it wasn't helping. How is that new puppy?
Are you getting any sleep yet?
 
We kept her very active and well fed and she made it through the night. She is a sweetie!
 
@Buddhabear Hello. Thanks for stopping by. Were you referring to the Cortisone shot after hip surgery?
Many folks have had this before their replacement but I don't know of any afterwards. Today I took my last Mobic
(long acting anti inflammatory ) so praying I don't have any increased pain. I'm trying to avoid that post surgery shot if possible.
 
So I had my 4 month visit to OS but as my lateral pain was improving, no cortisone shot. I was having a good spell of days and went in walking briskly on my cane. X-rays once again looked great! That's pretty much all he says. I don't have to come back till Dec. and then only if I need to. So much for any help from that source. Typical from all I've read on BS forum. So I still have good days and not so good but will try to be patient and see how it goes. I'm now trying Neurontin ordered by Primary doc. Don't like how it knocks me out in the mornings. trying to start out with lower dose to see if I can feel better on it. Neuropathy is my worst problem today. Seems related to how much I stress my hip the day before.
 
Nochoice, I just encountered your thread for the first time. Just a couple of thoughts:
If you are still having pain behind your knee, I wonder about your IT Band (which also goes along with your bursitis issue). My IT bands are perpetually tight, and they let me know clearly if I'm doing too little OR too much. Since my approach to exercise is generally to do too little, with sporadic bouts of overdoing, they yell at me a lot. I have found deep tissue massage to be helpful, along with stretches, and just plain walking. Lots of walking is good for me, but I do better with frequent shorter walks than a single long one. Much easier to manage in the spring/summer/fall. I dread winter. A couple articles might be helpful, if this is indeed part of your problem.
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
Trochanteric bursitis with THR

I also wanted to respond to some of the comments about bike-riding. I stopped riding quite a few years ago, mostly because of pain in my butt, which would radiate out to my back and legs. Last year, my SO and I invested in recumbent trikes. Whoa....so much fun, and completely pain-free. No need to worry about balance and falling. Makes such a nice addition to activity in the spring, summer, and fall. And adds to my dread of winter. Just something for you to think about.

Also remember that you are only 4 months post-THR. Soft tissue takes a full year OR MORE to heal completely. You are really very early still in the healing process. Early enough that you do need to be conscious about still pacing your activity and giving your hip a nicely-balanced diet of rest and activity in measured doses. You may be very pleasantly surprised to see how much better you feel by next spring.

Sharon
 
Hi @sharonslp . Thanks for your input! I used to advocate strongly for a recumbent bike ( didn't even know they had trikes!) but my road racer obsessed Hubbie wouldn't hear of it. Perhaps I should rethink. I agree I probably do have some IT tendinitis. Also arthritic knees and the problem behind the knee might have something to do with that. I'm just generally inflamed!
 
I've enjoyed this thread. nochoice, I can relate to feeling pressured in PT. I had both of my hips replaced two weeks ago. They wanted me to walk that night! I told them no. I wanted to lay perfectly still, and sleep. I walked a little bit the next morning, but told them I needed to see how much my pain spiked after the PT. It did go up, so I stayed very conservative. I told my surgeon (in a very quiet voice) that it felt "wrong" to be walking so soon. I felt like I needed a few days. Its so important to listen to your body. What kind of arthritis do you have in your knees? I hope you continue to improve. It's interesting that you can do more clam shells now. I wasn't given any of those.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Dont ever do clam shells! I don't do that as an excercise, I just do the motion as I'm
lying in bed on my non op side rearranging the covers with my op leg. You are so wise to take control over what exercise you are willing to do from the start. I was under the mistaken belief that if I did more I would get well faster. Did not find Bone Smart till way to late. So I went to a rehab hospital after surgery and did a lot of walking in the hall in addition to 2 hrs. of therapy a day. Lots of regret now, I think this really slowed my healing. I still get asked by acquaintances all the time when they see my "slow progress" whether I'm in PT! My answer is that I've had LOTS of PT! Knees have osteoarthritis. Good healing to you!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Dont ever do clam shells! I don't do that as an excercise, I just do the motion as I'm
lying in bed on my non op side rearranging the covers with my op leg. You are so wise to take control over what exercise you are willing to do from the start. I was under the mistaken belief that if I did more I would get well faster. Did not find Bone Smart till way to late. So I went to a rehab hospital after surgery and did a lot of walking in the hall in addition to 2 hrs. of therapy a day. Lots of regret now, I think this really slowed my healing. I still get asked by acquaintances all the time when they see my "slow progress" whether I'm in PT! My answer is that I've had LOTS of PT! Knees have osteoarthritis. Good healing to you!

Hi nochoice, I don't know how to tag a person in a thread, so I'm just using the quote button. I almost went to a rehab center. I wonder if they would have expected the same out of me. That's so sad. Two hours sounds ridiculous to me. I learned the exercises on line before the surgery. I didn't do them, though. They felt wrong, since I was bone on bone, and the balls of my sockets had shifted out. Same thing with the stationary and recumbent bike. Both felt terrible, and like they would cause damage. So I didn't do them. I'm interested to see tomorrow when I go to the gym if the recumbent bike feels good. It should, I have new hips that glide, and my pelvis and hip bones are now perfectly aligned.

It's very sad to me that this is going on in PT. I taught yoga for 30 years. I always stressed to people not to do anything that felt wrong, or hurt. If someone was grimacing through a pose, I would ask them to stop. It made me very nervous and uncomfortable if someone was in pain. Better to relax and do deep breathing, in my opinion.

I hope that in time your knees will heal, too. At least with the surgery we had, they cut out the osteoarthritis. I like to know that that's out of my body. I wish you the best, and will follow your thread.
 
Thanks for your good wishes @hip hip hooray. To let me know you have responded just add the @ sign before my call name and I'll be notified via email of your response. Also it goes into my "Alerts" tab at the top of each page.
I used to do a lot of yoga in my 20s and loved it. Thought I'd give it another go a couple of years ago in my late 60s. Didn't work too well. Neither strong enough or limber enough, not to mention my knees, and was in a class of women who had been doing yoga for many years although some were older too. I tried to do too much and hurt my back. Instructors do tell you to be careful but I am just far to much of a "push through" kind of person for my own good.
 
@nochoice, That seems to be a common quality in those of us who have had our hips replaced. Thanks for explaining about the @ sign. I thought maybe that's what I was doing wrong.

I like to do very relaxed yoga on my own, at home. Once I'm cleared from my doctor, I'll start again. It helps me to relax.
 
Today I finally tried to sit through a movie at the megaplex theater. No go. I spent most of the movie standing ny the wall just out of sight of the other movie goers. When I got tired of standing I'd take a walking break. That's even with Tylenol and a pain pill. I expected some difficulty since my main problem currently is groin pain and sitting but this was more than I bargained for. Movie, Driving Lessons, was good though and I did see till the end, just not sitting!
 
Well that is good and bad @nochoice - Movie=good Pain=bad.
I think at our age we don't care what people think so much as when we were young which is a good thing. I can sit and walk without pain but getting up after a sit is painful for the first few steps. My yoga experiences were the same as yours- tried to do it all and hurt my back -I think some of us were just born with less flexibility.
I hope you are healing soon.
Diane
 
Hi @Granny Di. I wish I could report good news but alas. Yesterday I went to lunch with some friends, drove 40 minutes and sat for 2.5 hours with too few breaks and today I'm really suffering with "nerve pain". So progress in the strength dept. but not with this nerve problem. I hope you are remembering to take it easy! I've read your thread so know this is a challenge. Good luck to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom