Guest viewing is limited

THR Almost 3months and now new problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie Thanks for your support and info!
@Jaycey Good article, I've saved it to my bookmarks to re read. I'm only nervous about this as it is post surgery.
@Granny Di Thanks for your input.
 
@nochoice welcome to our forum- it is a great one. Thank you for commenting on my thread and I stopped in to check on you. It sounds like you are on a good path right now and that your OS listened to you. I wish you uneventful recovery from here on out and that you your pain subsides on its own.
 
@Sullivand Nice to hear from you. I will keep checking in to follow your return to work. Sure hope all goes well. I am so glad to be retired. Given the circumstances re unexpected THR I wouldn't like the pressure of having to be fit enough to return to work. It's good you love your teaching job.:console2:
 
I re-read your thread and now I remember your fall. :hugzz: I read that old people don't have the needed sensory input in their feet and that is why they fall because they aren't aware of where their feet are. Made sense to me.
 
@Granny Di Yes, that makes sense to me plus for many years I've had non-diabetic neuropathy in my feet.
Ugh. That's why we need to move out of this four level house with steps everywhere. I think I've shown on more than one occasion I'm a klutz. Hard to believe I used to be a long distance cyclist. And you still are riding as is my husband.:biking::biking::biking::bicycle1:
 
@nochoice You must miss cycling so much! We are cross country skiers which is fitting as we have 6 months of winter up here. I really missed it last winter as I couldn't do anything but sit. I try to ski 1000 kms every winter -doubt if I will be able to do that anymore. I much prefer the mtn bike and trails as I am too scared on the highways here. Did you race? I have done a few mtn bike races here but it is pretty flat so not too difficult.
 
@Granny Di Occassionally I miss biking but I haven't done any since my early 50s. Knees went bad! I mostly got into it because I didn't want to be a "biking widow" and my hubby really loved it. No racing! I was always a slow rider. Enjoyed the scenery. Road bikes only. I'm not really a sporty person. I'd rather read a good book most of the time. We had some good times on our bike trips and organized rides though. I enjoyed it the ten or twelve years I did it.
 
@Granny Di . Hi. I haven't been hanging out here much this week. I seem to be doing some better. Finally!
Have been driving around myself, running errands and even went to the mall a couple of times. So things are looking up. Still some discomfort but nothing like it was. Thanks for asking.
 
Great report @nochoice . Sounds like things are moving in the right direction!
 
@nochoice ...just read through your posts! What a roller coaster this experience is! Just curious, are you still taking lyrica? Did you have any side effects? I have nerve pain (had it before surgery off and on...also idiopathic) in hamstrings .. Surgery seemed to bring it out more . Like you, I overdid PT and I decided to not go to outpatient PT at all. It really is true...here in the states they really put so much emphasis on PT!!
 
@J-nice - They put emphasis on PT here in Ontario Canada too and people will tell you that the patients who don't do well after knee and hip surgery didn't do their physio. It can be very confusing. I didn't do any clam exercises for two months and I tested myself yesterday and I can do more now than last time I tried, without any practice.
As my grandkids say "The body heals itself."
 
Hi @nochoice I was wondering if you could tell me more about you non-diabetic neuropathy in your feet, what does it feel like? I've been having burning in my feet for years but it's gotten so bad that I have burning during the day even when I'm in sandels. My GP has tried a few meds that are used for neuropathy that work some for a few weeks and then stop. I've decided to try a neurologist. I also have severe itching on my arms with no likely causes that I can only get relief with ice. My daughter suggested that it might be caused by nerves also. Any thoughts would help. Its really starting to effect my job. Thanks and I hope your still doing well.
 
@Jaycey Yes, things are finally starting to get better. Thanks for the "high five"!
 
@J-nice Hi. No I'm not taking the Lyrica. Because of the expense I decided to go with Neurotin, a drug also taken for neuropathy. I had many side effects with that so I'm back to taking Amitryptiline which I've taken before, I just increased the dose from 10 to 20 mg. This is under the care of my regular doctor. It seems to help. I also think the horizontal tightness behind the left knee might be due to the extra stress I'm putting on that arthritic knee post op. And I really did not start to heal until after I quit PT! Wise choice.
 
@Midchild54 Hello. I have had neuropathy in my feet for nearly 20 years but this hip surgery seemed to make everything worse. I think your first step should be to go to a neurologist and get tested to make sure it's neuropathy you are dealing with. I did that years ago, which has made treatment since more focused. I don't like to take medication unless it's essential so most of that time I have just learned to live with it. However, I have worn super supportive shoes since and that helps a lot. Sandels for me mean only Birkenstocks and not even those if I have to do a lot of walking. Neuropathy is hard to describe but "pins and needles, burning, numbness" are the most common symptoms. Good luck!
 
@J-nice , @Granny Di
I am a firm believer in PT at the right time and have had wonderful results with different issues over the years.
However, for me after this surgery was not the right time to have so much PT. I think it prolonged my recovery instead of making it easier and I saw very little progress in my healing and strength building until I quit. Healthgal46, I am glad the excercises are helping with your running. I'm nearly 70 and will be grateful to go for the long walks I did before my fall without pain. After I can do this, I will once again give the old clam shells a go! Until then, I will listen to my body.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@nochoice
Just read your thread. I noticed the part of waiting in the hospital for 30 hrs waiting for THR.
I had bicycle accident in Feb of this year and broke femur; ended up in hospital; I waited for approx 40 hrs; at the last minute they decided to try to fix the break with screws and not do a THR. So 4.5 mos later I went in for a THR after the fix went bad. I'm going into week no 6 after THR. I can't comment on the pain issues with your knee but it sounds like you are on the right path. I happen to also a TKR on the same leg and the knee has been very tight and at times very painful thruout the whole ordeal. I think the causes are totally different.
Loved your comments regarding PT here in the U.S. I'm in outpatient PT now and It's been good because I insisted that they take it easy. I have weight bearing restrictions for 6 weeks and that made the sell to the therapist easy. I thought about postponing PT till after the 6 weeks but did not want to go against the Doc's orders.
Hope you continue to do better.
 
@lalo Hello. Sorry to hear you ended up with two surgeries. Were you able to get a surgeon you knew something about? I waited longer to get someone I knew at least a little about. This guy had done joint repairs on several people I knew with good results. Did this apply to me? Don't know. Do know he does nearly 1000 replacements in a year (perhaps this is both hip and knee but forgot to ask). Originally he was just going to replace the femur part (partial hip) but after I said I was worried about metal allergies, he decided to do a THR as he said the metal parts were the purest available. We sure have to be trusting when we are placed through the ER. Not lots of time to research! Stay in control of your PT and best wishes for a good recovery.
 
@nochoice
The evening I fell I was taken to the ER by ambulance. They did an x-Ray and determined that I had a broken hip (neck portion of the femur). The Dr that took the X-Ray asked if I had a ortho Dr. I mentioned the name of the one that did my knee 5.5 yrs ago and he said that that Dr had recently retired. He then mentioned the names of the 2 on call and asked me pick one. I immediately sent the names of the two Doc's to a friend to find out what he could about each and it boiled down to 1 had been practicing for 5 the other for about 20. The Dr in the emergency room also recommended the more experience Dr and so I picked him. They would not release me from the ER till I picked a Dr.
I was told that the surgery would be done on an emergency basis but it was 40 hrs later that I went in for surgery and the whole time I had nothing to drink or eat. At one time my wife overheard one of the nurses comment that they were surprised I was not in traction. The whole experience was a nightmare; at some point in time the head floor nurse came with an entourage to apologize for the delays but so what.
I went to a lot of detail because I see that you elected to pick a Dr you preferred to do your surgery and thereby caused some of the delay. I'm past it now but I had so much regret about what I could have done different those first 24 hrs in the hospital. One doesn't think about it but you would think there is something analogous to a patient bill of rights kind of like sitting on a runway waiting for take off in a commercial plane. After x no of hrs they need to bring everybody back to the gate?
Anyway, I have good reason to suspect that aggressive PT may have contributed to the fix (pinning) going bad.
And yes I solicited input and was able to pick a Dr of choice to do the THR. I think I'm doing ok next week my weight restriction ends and Ill be putting weight on joint so we'll see.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom