TKR Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
New update. I worked in my classroom with help Monday and Tuesday and was exhausted both nights, but got a really good nights sleep last night. School starts with inservice a week from today and we will see how that goes. I have had some pain off and on and had to take meds on occasion, but not regularly. Tylenol doesn't seem to really help much if I am really hurting. Luckily I still have some of my percoset and the tramadol so I can take the first at night if necessary and the other during the day. I haven't had a much time to check in here, but have looked up some more questions that I had. I haven't started at the Y yet because I don't think I will have the energy right now and don't want to waste the money. Everyone have a good day.
 
Well, I have been back at work for a week and a half and have had children two and a half days. Everything has gone fairly well. I have had to work more than I wanted to this week so I could be ready for the kids on Wednesday. My kankle is back. I hope to spend a large part of the weekend with my feet in the air. I was proud of myself though. Wednesday morning, I had to make an early morning Wal-mart run before school. I was moving through that store at my old pace and it didn't hurt or anything. I did have pain Wednesday night, but I think I had already been building up to that anyway. I am back on my percoset as needed at night. That really helped last night.
I do have one question, should I still be icing my knee or is elevating enough? My knee is also more swollen again, just like the rest of my lower leg. Thanks for the help.
 
Go ahead and ice and see if it helps. I was still icing at the end of the day at 3 months.
 
Well, it has been a little more than 10 months and for the most part I am doing great. :yahoo:

I walk at many different speeds with no pain, I can get up and down with ease from a sitting position, and I continue to see improvement. I haven't had my ROM taken in a long time, but I would guess that my ROM is well past what it was when I ended PT and that was about 128. I can almost sit cross-legged on the floor now, but not quite. My extension is probably not at 0 (it was at 5 at the end of PT), but I continue to stretch it and it is not too noticeable except when I have it extended for long periods of time (15-20 minutes) and then it gets tight and I have to bend it.

My two biggest challenges are stairs and sleep.:sad: I still have difficulty going up and down the stairs normally. It hurts every time I do it and feels worse going down. This is something I do daily so that is somewhat of an issue.

My other problem is at night, I usually wake myself up with pain in my knee and have to switch positions. I am sure this is from being in the same position for an extended period of time since it also hurts when I have been sitting too long too.

I am not taking any pain meds on a regular basis and usually only Tylenol. I do take diclofenac 100mg twice daily for all my arthritis all over my body. I have been taken something for at least 10 years (I took Vioxx if that tells you anything).

I am a little worried that I have some excessive scar tissue since I can feel some thick places in the places I tend to have pain. They are in L2 and L3 C and L2 and L3 D. There are basically three thick areas, one at the top of my knee and one on each side. I have been doing some acupressure with an essential oil blend for pain and inflammation before I go to bed some nights and then just the blend other nights.

I go back for my one year check-up at the end of May so I was hoping to get some advice on what to ask or tell him then. I have done some searching on the website, but nothing exactly fits. I was hoping that Josephine (sorry, I never learned how to tag someone) or some of the other experts might give me some insight. Anyway, I am doing well and looking forward to summer with no school and a somewhat normal knee.:SUNsmile:
 
Hi boydmom. You and I have some of the same issues.....I take diclofenac 3x daily in the cold weather and 2x daily in regular weather. I'm a mess with arthritis. I'm 14 months post op and still have swelling in my knee. I have good ROM and extension but walking a lot is hard for me. It's somewhat hot too. Exercise is difficult actually because it swells and aches. No one knowledgable ever responded to my post here regarding my issues, but I did see the doctor. he gave me a shot of cortizone in my replaced knee and oh my what a difference! It's still a bit swollen but so much less pain! Thank goodness because we are moving and it was getting difficult. I hope you find out what's going on. Keep us posted and good luck!
 
Hi @boydmom! I know what you are talking about. I still have stiffness over the kneecap and on the exterior of my knee. I am right behind you by three weeks on surgery. I am sure there is some scar tissue built up there. I went to a massage therapist for two months every two weeks to break up the scar tissue, but I think it grew back. I can straighten to 0 and have awesome ROM, but the stiffness still gives me some trouble. I have the Velcro ripping sound when I get up from a seated position and have to straighten out my knee after sitting for a little while. I continue to take Celebrex and use Tylenol occasionally. I may also wake at night every once in a while because of my knee. I readjust and fall right back asleep. You are not alone. I was hoping by now that I would no longer have the stiffness but guess it is here to stay. The good thing is that I no longer have the "I want to gnaw my leg off" feeling when the pain got really bad. I hope you find something to relieve your pain.

To tag someone you place the @ sign before the name. I hope @Josephine has some words of wisdom for you.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
I still have difficulty going up and down the stairs normally. It hurts every time I do it and feels worse going down. This is something I do daily so that is somewhat of an issue.
Stairs can take a time to get normal, even a year! Just keep doing it gently, one step at a time. Eventually you will get there. Your ROM is great BTW.
I am not taking any pain meds on a regular basis and usually only Tylenol.
How much Tylenol do you take and how often?
I am a little worried that I have some excessive scar tissue since I can feel some thick places in the places I tend to have pain. They are in L2 and L3 C and L2 and L3 D. There are basically three thick areas, one at the top of my knee and one on each side.
With ROM like yours, it's highly unlikely you have adhesions!

The charts actually don't have L2 and L3 on them so your references don't tell me anything.
Try again and this time, use the guidelines in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far


[Bonesmart.org] Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far
 
Thanks everyone for the responses. @Josephine I take 2 650 mg extended release of tylenol. I can't tell that much of a difference. I don't take them every night, but when I have had a particularly hard day and have been on my feet a lot I will take them. Sorry about not reading the chart correctly. I didn't use this one but on your chart my painful areas are at LF4 C and LF3 C and D. I forgot to add that there is a loud popping sound coming from about LF4 C when I stand up. I asked my daughter if she could hear it and my son-in-law in the next room said he could hear it in there. There isn't any pain though, just the sound. Well anyway any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. This website has been such a help to me and I tell everyone who asks about my knee what a help you all have been.
Thanks,
Geunita


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom