TKR Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupational therapy has been things like taking a shower, cooking a meal, today I made a bed. They help you get used to doing daily activities safely while using a walker.
I also had OT, and they took me around a "kitchen" in the OT area of the hospital---but I must confess, my first couple weeks at home---I wanted nothng to do with the kitchen!

Does anyone know if you have to be completely off pain meds to be able to drive?
You should be off of the narcotic pain meds---that, to me, was the key---my OS wanted me to be off of the Oxycontin and he also wanted me to be strong enough to emergency brake.

My first journey out and about in my truck---jut a half-hour of light errands---really knocked me out---I was dead tired when I got home!

The other question is my leg is swelling down into my foot and ankle.
All quite normal---and the swelling will slowly subside---but it may stay with yo for some time. Many of us had "kanckles" after our surgery.
 
I'd say you might want to replace shoes that you have worn a long time because they'd have the old wear pattern.
 
This has been a good week on the whole. I was able to sleep on my side for a while last night so that was a first. I have had ok sleep with one really good night. I am only taking my pain meds for pt and occasionally. That includes tylenol. I am not being brave, I just don't feel like I need them. My only negative is I have a sharp pain on the inside of my knee next to my kneecap especially when I lock my leg , but also at random times. My pt did some massaging on Wednesday and said there was a pocket of fluid there and some popping as she massaged. I go to my os on Monday so I am going to ask about that. Friday they seemed a little concerned at pt, but my regular pt has been out of town this week so they want him to evaluate it next week. We'll see.
 
Well, I looked through my shoes and had a huge stack that need to go. There were a couple of pairs that I was really sad to see go. I wonder if I could put a new insole in them and still wear them. They are BareTraps and were very comfortable for school. Has anyone ever tried that?
Knee pain question-Is the tight feeling I have across the top of my knee where the majority of tightness usually is at the point I am at and are sharp pains usual if you move the knee a certain way instead of a dull aching throb? I go back to my dr tomorrow so I will also ask him these questions. Also, since I am not taking meds regularly now, does that make my knee stiffer? Thanks for the help.
Geunita
 
Went shoe shopping today and got 2 pairs of Yellowbox flip flops and a pair of Baretraps similar to a pair I am having to throwaway. It was a good experience. My daughter and granddaughter (2 1/2) are here for a few days and I have been able to take care of her some this time so that is a new thing. One negative is that since I am not elevating and icing as much, my ankle, leg and foot have swollen up again. Needless to say it is not a very attractive look. Oh well.
 
About shoes--the important thing to look at is the wear pattern on your outsoles and whether the shoe itself leans in or out relative to the sole. This will tell you about your gait prior to the TKR. If there is any such wear (most commonly seen in running shoes of people who pronate excessively), you should discard them unless there is enough outsole remaining to be resurfaced. I wear backless slides (Alegria, 1830) all the time. And the past couple of days I've been wearing Fit Flops to match my dresses. But in the house I go barefoot--something I never did before the surgery.

I was at 4 wks yesterday. Yesterday was my last Opana ER (long-acting oxymorphone). No withdrawal symptoms I can see thus far. Still on Neurontin till Monday, and Norco 10 up to 6 per day. (Been averaging 4-5 per day, needing to double up at bedtime; for PT, instead of doubling up, I add a couple of Tylenol). You are way ahead of me when it comes to pain. My OS says to be off all opioid or narcotic pain meds except at bedtime before trying to drive, even if you won't be using your surgical leg. If you have a fender-bender or get stopped for a traffic ticket, if the officer suspects you are under the influence and your blood test shows opioids in the blood, you could be in some very hot water.

My OS will not transition me from Norco to Tramadol, as the latter is also a narcotic (though not an opioid). He just wants me to refill one more 'scrip and begin weaning. Last year, I was off all but a bedtime dose by 5 weeks; but I had that swollen ankle and foot problem for months. Don't have it now. Maybe because of the low sodium diet I was on in rehab. My appetite is meager, so I can eat anything I want and haven't had for months. Once it comes back, though, I'll have to resume my low-carb lifestyle. But the fatigue is profound--when I nap I nap as if I were sedated. Energy drain is a problem for a long time--don't bite off more than you can chew,
 
Thanks for the advice on the shoes because the ones I really like look like new on the bottom. I am still taking the occasional pain pill. I take one before every PT and sometimes at night. I still have percoset that I take at night when I need it. The tramadol won't let me sleep. I had the ankle thing under control when I was elevating a lot, but I don't stay off my feet as much now and the kankle is back and very unattractive. I am worried about the energy drain in a few weeks. I took a nap today after the shopping trip and it was wonderful. I won't be able to do that when school starts back. Did you go back to work after your last surgery?
 
Went to pt and worked on my walking. Evidently I don't walk correctly with either leg. I need to bend my knees more. It felt weird, but I have to admit it did make walking feel better. Now I have to practice that and try to retrain my 53 year old body how to walk again. I'm wondering how that is going to work out. I have hopes though that working on walking correctly with both legs will help my good knee stay good longer.
 
Yes, there is a lot of retraining going on.
 
Well, I am almost finished with my pt. I have one more session tomorrow and then I am on my own. I had a rough afternoon and night after yesterday's session. The back of my knee and down my calf are continuing to hurt even today. I ended up taking pain meds last night to be able to sleep. He worked on stretching the back of my knee a lot yesterday and Monday and that is a new step we haven't been doing. I have also been going a lot more. I had an early (for me, 11:30) session Monday and then went out to school and worked on things and then went to Sam's and got home around 7:00. Tuesday, there was a going away lunch for a friend of mine I went to and then made a stop at Ross (they always have good things this time of year for my classroom). Coming out of Ross I was feeling very unsteady on my feet, but that went away once I sat down for awhile. Then I went to school for a few more hours. Yesterday was pt at 2:30 and a trip to Walmart. Today is stay at home and maybe get some things done or maybe just rest. Right now, I just feel like resting. I am hoping the pain goes away. I have taken tylenol and may have to use my Tramadol. This is my pay back for not taking meds before pt maybe. I forgot on Monday and then when I realized, decided to do without yesterday. I don't know if that is what has made the difference or not. Oh well.
 
boydmom, I'm mostly retired as an attorney and "work" pretty much only as a singer-musician, so I didn't go back to "work" per se. My RTKR was June 22, 2012, and except for a short in-town showcase 2-1/2 weeks out (I took a cab, and sat down to play for 2 15-min. sets) I pretty much took all of July off.

I drove Aug. 6 to perform one song in a showcase abt. 10 minutes away from home. In mid-Aug. I drove up to Ravinia (abt. an hr.) with my son to see a concert--even from the HC parking lot it was about 1/4 mile walk to the gates with a half-hour wait standing up. My first long-distance drive was on Labor Day weekend: about 90 min. each way to Geneva, IL to perform at a folk festival (stayed at a hotel there the first night). Later that week I went to Wrigley Field by cab to see Springsteen (easy getting the cab, walking 3 bl. to the show and taking the elevator to my seat but a 40-min. ordeal on my feet trying to hail a cab home). Sep. 9 I drove to Madison, WI (150 mi., 3 hrs) to perform with my singing partner at a nursing home (on my feet for an hr); later that week my husband & I flew to Europe and took 2-wk. Viking River Cruise. There were plenty of long-ish shore excursion walks on varied terrain (bruised my metatarsals on cobblestones), and I chalked up my inability to keep up with the others (including a slender 55-yr-old from AL who'd had BTKR in May and wasn't even using a cane) to being out of shape--only now do I realize that 12 weeks out is still quite early in recovery. (I was, however, nonetheless out of shape--30 lbs. heavier than I am now).

Once back in Chicago, I had a real estate closing; I had no trouble driving down to St. Louis in Oct. for a music conference (walking the long hotel corridors carrying 2 instruments was a challenge) and to Sparta, IL to record at my engineer's studio; for another conference in upstate NY in Nov., I flew. (I request wheelchair assistance in airports--you never know how long the corridors and security lines are, and even minimal carry-on bags can be burdensome).
 
I went over to your thread and read about your recovery. I don't think I had realized you were on your second tkr. You definitely did a lot of traveling. I noticed you have started back to some of your normal schedule now. School starts back in two and a half weeks with inservice, but there are lots of things to do before then. I am blessed that my mom and her husband are coming to help me at school for a few days. They are in their early 70's and very active and are great workers.
I have now finished pt, but I still have to work on my rom. I am going to look into a place with an indoor pool that is near my house. I hope your recovery continues to go well.
 
Wow, you are doing awesome Boydmom! I'm so impressed! I took a lot longer than you do to most anything. It took me three solid months before i could drive. My immediate reaction to your question about driving and prescription drugs is NO, lol. I honestly think it's like drinking and driving, personally. I don't think the tylenol is an issue but the percoset I would be leary of. Regarding your swelling, I also had swelling and actually I STILL have it and it's been 7-1/2 months. That is normal. Even if I sit too long my ankle starts swelling and if I do too much at the gym, my knee swells a bit. But it does get better. Mine was just on the slow side because I have a tendency to swell up even without a knee replacement. I think it's amazing you are doing so well. Glad you're here!
 
boydmom, it never ceases to amaze me how different the school year is these days from back in the '60s. In the NYC public schools back then, classes were in session till the last possible day of June and didn't resume until the Wednesday after Labor Day. (Once or twice, school was delayed a few more days due to hurricanes). Many of the teachers worked through the summer as camp counselors at the various day camps connected to public high schools and adjacent junior highs; others did private remedial or advanced tutoring and still others took summer graduate school courses. It was unheard of for a teacher to have to pay for school supplies: students bought writing instruments, notebooks & paper, crayons, glue and the occasional sheet of poster board; the schools themselves provided textbooks, workbooks, paints, brushes, paper for in-class assignments and tests, scissors, library paste and construction paper. Milk and cookies were originally provided free of charge; around 1962 we had to bring monthly "milk money." If a student couldn't afford supplies, all the kids pitched in and shared with him or her.

There were so many neighborhood K-6 schools that no grade school kid had to walk more than three or four blocks home or to a luncheonette for lunch. There were no school breakfasts. Only the poorest kids were provided school lunches--until jr. high, meals were not even available for sale. Nobody in grade school was bussed--there was simply no need. The only school buses were for class trips and day camp. From jr. high onward, kids could buy discount NYC transit passes (or were given them if they were poor enough and lived more than a half mile away). We could use the passes on the buses, subways and even Staten Island ferry, but only during the school week and during daylight hours on the weekend. Because of that, we routinely used the largest public and college libraries for research projects (encyclopedias were unacceptable as source material) and sometimes even went into Manhattan. It was a different, less expensive, and safer world back then!
 
School is definitely different today. I walked to school and had a neighborhood school. Now that school starts in August, it has been so hot some years that we have to have special heat schedules for recess. There are a few schools in our area that will begin in July. We often discuss starting after Labor Day. On the other hand, we are out before Memorial Day so that is nice. We get right at 10 weeks off for the summer. Last year it was 9 weeks. Of course most of us spend the last few weeks getting our rooms ready. I do enjoy teaching though.
 
I was a teacher for 20 years and only took early retirement because of my husband's disability. He needed my help to get around. Now he's my 24/7 nurse, but hopefully I'll be taking on more sooner than later.
I loved teaching. I still keep in contact with many of my students through Facebook. I couldn't have made it through the school year without a summer off however. I taught theatre and we generally had auditions the first week of school and were in production the rest of the year. That meant 14 hour days and many weekends in rehearsal.
 
Teaching is a great profession if you are called to it. On the other hand, it is not for everybody. I get so amused by the folks who say "Well anybody can be a teacher. You only work from 8-3 and have Christmas and summer off." Yes, I guess technically my hours are from 7:45-3:30 Monday through Friday, but I don't get a lunch break or any break for that matter. I do have times when other teachers are in charge of my students, but then I need to be grading papers or planning or having a conference with a parent or another teacher. After school, I have to get ready for the next day or week and read all my emails and respond to those. Then I have to update my website so the parents can check it every night and I have to grade something everyday. During the day, I rarely get to sit at my desk because I am always needed by a student for something or I am supervising students. Yes, you do get Christmas off and I try to completely avoid school during that time and am usually rushing to get ready for Christmas before hand and packing up from Christmas afterwards and hopefully enjoying a few days of rest (that is my vacation you know). In the summer, you spend the first week off packing up for the summer and getting all your paperwork up-to-date and then during the summer if you're a good teacher you spend some time on professional growth and then the last few weeks before school starts, you get ready for the coming school year. I haven't even mentioned dealing with children and their parents or grandparents or both or none. Like I said, I love my job, but it is not for everybody, but I am sure that could be said about almost any profession. You couldn't pay me enough money to work outside all the time or have to clean up after sick people. When my kids throw-up in the room, I have to immediately get help because I start gagging and will throw-up if it gets bad enough. That is one nice thing about older children, they usually make it to the bathroom or garbage can. Little ones are notorious for saying "My stomach feels funny" and then throwing up all over the place.
Ok, I guess I have been on this soapbox long enough. Have a great day.
 
An update on my recovery. I am through with pt (yeah), but I will miss all of my therapists. My ROM is 125 and 6 (that is the bad 6), but I am continuing working on both and am definitely going to keep up some type of activity. I am looking at the Y here that has a pool and ROM classes. I think that would be really good for me. My sleep is getting some better. My pain is good most of the time, but does rear its ugly head on occasion. The last week and a half have been more challenging because the pt knew I was finishing up and really worked on ROM. I have had to take meds some at night and some during the day. I have been over to school a few times and have gone out to eat and to church and to a lunch and even a short shopping trip. I was able to keep my 2 year old granddaughter successfully (she is full of energy, but such a joy). I still am stiff when I get up and am working on the stairs, but have managed my big ones the "normal" way a few times. I start back to work in 2 weeks 1 day, but we start with in-service so that is not as strenuous and I have already discussed not being there all the time with my principal and what I may need to do once the children are there. One great thing is we start on Wednesday with a half day and then two full days and the weekend before we have a full week. My principal is great and will do whatever I need to do to help me through this. She also says I have a great group of students this year so that will be wonderful. I have been blessed with two years of exceptional classes so I hope she is correct. Of course whatever happens, I will be fine.
On a final note, I am so thankful for everyone's help here at Bonesmart. I wish I had found this site before my surgery, but I was really busy with ending school anyway so at least I found you after surgery when I really needed you. Your advice has been wonderful. The articles and other people's threads have been so helpful and I am sure I will continue to use this resource for quite some time. You don't know the number of times I have said to someone "I have this website called Bonesmart and they said...." Keep up the good work.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well. Good luck with starting back to school. Thanks for the update!

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom