TKR Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Boydmom,
I am new to the bonesmart, but have read many posts over the last couple months. I had to respond to your post as we have things in common. I had a right TKR on May 17th. I had been bone on bone for 4 years and in March finally made the decision to have the TKR. I had the nerve block in my quad for the three days I was in the hospital, and it was really effective at managing the pain. Along with the nerve block the only other pain med. I used was Tylenol #3. The nerve block was taken out the night before I was released from the hospital. I have an Iceman machine and still use it constantly. I think the Iceman has been key in my getting off pain meds 3 weeks post op. I am fortunate to have a great family support network and came directly home. I had in home PT for the first 2 weeks and started my third week of outpatient PT. PT pushes to discomfort, but not to serious pain. My PT does a significant amount of tissue massage to help move the fluid around manage scar tissue. The biggest challenges for me have been to stiffness (not significant pain), managing swelling, getting a decent night's sleep, energy levels,and patience. I am not one who likes to sit still. I have had 4 other surgeries involving tendon and ligament repair and recovery was at a much faster rate. I am able to walk a couple hundred yards, and do not need my cane (I do keep it with me for security). Reading these posts, and many of the suggested articles really helps keeps things in perspective. It is a long journey and seems to be different for everyone, but I expect it to be completely worth it. I will pray for you and all the other TKR's in the patient forum. Continued success with your healing.
 
Boydmom, I am 5 weeks out and have the same problem. I think this is probably normal, just try and rest, ice and elevate every chance you have. I am feeling so great and am having a problem not doing things but my knee is the boss so I just have to listen to it :gaah: I went off the strong pain medication around 3 weeks but I'm still on Motrin 400 mgs and sometime 800 mgs. I try to take it every 4-5 hours and it certainly keeps pain at bay. I am still not driving but I don't have to go anywhere and when I do the husband takes me......I am lucky he can take time away from work to do this. Although, I do have a ginormous dog that I walk during the morning, that is a good thing as it gets me out of the house to walk. Just remember to take things slow and easy, the less the knee is angry, the more it will cooperate. I am anxious to hear how PT went. I hope you have a good day today :flwrysmile:
 
Turtleman and Chickie, thanks for the kind words. I needed them after pt. I don't know if it was me or my therapist or both, but I did too much yesterday.:hissy: My therapist says to go to the point of pain and back off and if I say something is hurting, he gives me an alternative, but I also try too hard sometimes too. He also has me doing things that strengthen my calves and quads and the nonsurgical leg is sore from that as well. Let's just say yesterday evening and last night were not pleasant. I am anticipating that today will be better. I have been on a major ice and elevate campaign again. My swelling is better, so maybe I just had too much salt or something. I did have chips and salsa Sunday at Chili's.
I read some more about driving while taking pain pills and what I read says see how they affect you. They have never really made me feel loopy, but when I take two of the Percocets, I do process a little more slowly. I am thinking I might could drive while taking a half of one. Chickie, I take a prescription nsaid so I don't think I can take Motrin. I would like to try though. Is there a significant difference in taking generic ibuprofen and Mortrin?
As I jump all over the place, I did the neatest thing at pt yesterday that I had done once before. They have a treadmill that you get zipped into wearing some lovely Oompaloompa looking shorts that can take up to 85% of your body weight off your walking. You are basically supported on air and it was amazing. It showed me that I really need to lose some weight since walking was so much easier. I did it at 50% and 35%. Does anyone know if it is ok to try to lose weight while recovering? Back to taking it easy.:sleep:
 
Hi! Just browsing through Bonesmart and read your posts. Sounds like your recovery is really coming along rather smoothly. I am 9 weeks post op today and have also had a very good recovery so far. Keep icing and elevating--nothing will help more. There are a couple good articles in the Bonesmart library about trying to lose weight while recovering and also an article about mixing pain meds and over the counter meds. I read a lot of those when I was trying to come off my major pain meds. Look up the Bonesmart Cocktail and it will give specific amounts and limitations to watch for. In addition, I called my OS and talked to his nurse and she gave me some suggestions. I also had the femoral nerve block and so far my recovery has been relatively pain free--some discomfort at times but nothing I would call pain. If you talk to your OS, he will tell you when it is safe for you to drive. Sometimes it depends on whether it was your left or right leg and how well you can bend and use your surgical knee. According to my friend (an insurance agent) driving before being released from your doctor can raise some legal issues if you were involved in an accident.

I am a retired teacher and if I HAD to I could probably go back to work now at 9 weeks. Standing all day long would probably be very hard--but you could make provisions to be able to sit more. The energy drain will probably be a major issue for you. Some days I get up and feel refreshed with plenty of energy and other days I wonder how I can be so tired when I did so little. Maybe you can work something out where you start back maybe three days a week for a couple weeks until you see how you do. I know how hectic beginning a new school year can be and it requires a lot of energy. Just don't push yourself too fast because your knee will definitely let you know about it. You are doing so well now that you don't want to do anything to hinder your revocery.
 
Thanks for the advice. I have been researching the bonesmart cocktail and I take diclofenac twice a day already for all of my other arthritis pains. I know I have to be careful combining other nsaids so any thoughts on how to manage that?
 
Hi, NSAIDs would be the same as Motrin. Anything that has an anti inflammatory in it is good. I think you are doing great. Just remember, your knee is the boss and it will let you know when you have done too much. Mine put me in bed all day yesterday. Today, I feel great and have been using my sewing machine, even went out to lunch with the granddaughter!
 
Thanks Chickie. Sounds like a good day if you got to sew and have lunch with your granddaughter. I have 4 granddaughters, 3 2 1 6wks. None live here, but they do come to visit and I go to see them. I call them my fun girls.
Today has been a good day for me. I went to my PT today and it was good. I had one painful moment, but then she gave me a nice massage for my knee. So far so good. I made a nice pork chop meal for myself and that was fun.
I am still hoping for some guidance on the diclofenac I take from one of the experts on here.
 
@gazelle its funny thatyou posted here thinking boydmom was me. I kind of thought we had a similar look, and same color shirt. boydmom, sounds like you are doing great! I also received occupational therapy. She was such a help getting all my equipment for the house. I had BTKR on june 10th and am going home from rehab tomorrow!
 
Well today was a day of firsts. I had therapy this afternoon so of course I waited until almost time to shower. The shower with my chair sprayed water everywhere when I turned it on so I had to go to my regular shower that has a glass door and try there. I did it. I got in, stood the whole time and got out. Isn't it amazing the things that make you happy when you are going through certain things. My other first was I slept last night with only tylenol for arthritis. I had let my percoset wear off earlier in the evening and was doing fine so I decided to try sleeping. I had as good of night as usual. I was up several times, but not because I was in pain, but because that seems to be my pattern right now. This morning I was very stiff, but I really wanted to drive to my pt appointment so I only took tylenol again. I took 1/4 of a percoset before therapy and drove on the back roads there. After therapy, I ordered Outback carryout and went to Sonic for a strawberry/lemonade slushy. I have now eaten my steak (yum) and had my slushy and am lying on my couch with my trusty wedge under my legs and ice on my knee. I also made a little progress with my ROM, but the pt says I need to do more stretching. I am going to try. Well here's to many more firsts.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far
boydmom, aren't they just the bomb!!!!!!! It's amazing how the little things make such a big difference when we're recovering. Note them all down as they happen. It's good to have that list to look at when things slow down or you have a bump recovery road. Keep up the good work---things will continue to get BETTER & BETTER!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I also stopped the heavy duty opiods at about 3 weeks too---I did use Tramadol (Trade name Ultram--or Ultraset which has tylenol in it). I think your doc might give you a script---they can call it in. I drove while on Tramadol and had no problem.

Remember too to stay off your feet. My doc said two hours up and one hour down at this stage.
 
Thanks for the advice. I may call and see if I can get that. I had to take the meds last night. They have never really caused me to feel weird even at the top dose I took, but I still don't need to drive.
 
Well today has been a great day. I went to pt and practiced stepping up and down with both legs. That went well so I was excited about that. After pt, I went to a friend's house and sat in the shade and visited while my friends were in the pool. I hadn't done that in two summers. I don't do sun because of some skin cancer issues in the past. I then pushed the envelope and went grocery shopping at Walmart. I am now home and icing and elevating. It was great to get out and do some running around. Oh, I forgot. I got the Tramadol yesterday and it is working so I was able to drive today.
 
I forgot, if I could just get a good night's sleep I would be almost perfect for right now.
 
Wow Boydmom, I like the way that fancy treadmill sounds! Hope I get to try one!
 
Sounds downright medicinal to me! :ok:
Yes, Sonic carries many great medicinal things. Dairy Queen blizzards are also very therapeutic.:yay: I am really doing well, except for the sleep thing, but I already had sleep issues anyway. I just keep thinking this too will get better and do the best I can.
 
Ok, I have a question and I did do some searching and reading old posts first, but never got the answer I was looking for. I love shoes and have hated some of the ones I have had to wear the last year or so. Now that shoes are on sale and I have read I need new shoes, can I wear backless shoes or do I need shoes with a back? I love slip-on sandals. Also, I had bought a couple of pairs about a month before my surgery and worn them to work. Do you think I can still wear those or do they have my old walking pattern already? Thanks for the advice.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing well so far
boydmom, I think you can wear any type of shoe that is comfortable for you to stand and walk in. I wear slip in backless shoes. I also wear flip flops, but not for long walks. I wear low heels now because high heels are just not for me at my age---I need more stability.
 
Boydom - it seems as though you are doing very well in your recovery! I hope the pain gets better for you. It does sound like you aren't on too many pain pills - great at such an early stage!

Hugs
Denise
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom