Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR All done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linda,

I am so sorry to hear about the infection! You know what symptoms come with it though because you have been through it before. I was sick, got so tired that all I wanted to do was lay in bed! I developed the crying jags, the deep depression, the failure to care about anything anymore. I am glad they have gotten to yours while it is still at the surface! I will be praying for you! :angel:
 
Linda,

How are you doing? I have been thinking about you and you have been in my prayers! I pray that they get the "Beasty bugs" out of your system quickly! :console2:

Coppernob
 
Hi Linda, I just read through your thread. If I am following everything right, you had BPKR back in 2009' just took the right knee to full TKR on November 11', 2013 and now that knee has an infection. I am so sorry to hear that. I had revision RTKR on Dec 2, 2013 and I've not seen my scar/wound yet. I just pray that when it comes off on Wednesday that all will be well. How long after your surgery did you start having symptoms of an infection? Take care and I'll be watching for an update from you.
 
Bonnie,

Right now they believe it has been caught early, and I am praying for Coppernob sake that her GP is right!

My infection showed up in full glory, two weeks after the replacement! But, when you have had an infection as many times as I USED to, the symptoms became blurred.

Headache, crying jags, feeling unwell like something isn't right, fever, night sweats, not caring about life in general anymore! The morning mine split open, I called the OS on call. He prescribed Clindamycin, and it was like candy to the MRSA. Things got progressively worse to the point that I could not bear to even touch the floor w that foot! My doctor got back from vacation, and the next day I was back in surgery for a washout, debridement, and spacer replacement. Please remember that I had 7 previous bouts of MRSA before this though.

My advice to anyone who has surgery is be aware of your body! It will "talk" to you more than your OS!

If you are depressed, normal. If you feel like you are the only one in your family who understands, normal. If you start running a fever, notice pus, not clear liquid running out of your incision, not normal. Bonnie, you will be fine. :friends:
 
Hi Sonja. Thanks for asking. The infection seems to be responding in as much as the lump adjoining my incision is no longer as red or as painful as it was, but the fluclox is making me feel dreadful. I was nauseous all day yesterday and was finally very sick just before bedtime. Today I can't face taking any meds, not even painkillers which I know isn't good but it's how it is. I have my five month old granddaughter here for a couple of hours which is helping to take my mind off things a bit.

Thank you for your care and support. It means a lot. I feel as if I'm being much more of a burden to my husband this time round. He says not but his body language, tone of voice and the huffing and puffing say otherwise. That's why it's so good to be part of the BS family where people really know and understand what you're going through.

Bonnie, please try to put your energy into your recovery rather than worrying about infection. It really is only a very small percentage of people who get an infection and, should you be one of the unfortunate few, you will cope because you have to. But you need to face that if it happens, not worry about whether it might. All the best for tomorrow when your dressing comes off. Linda x
 
Coppernob,

They gave me Zofran for nausea, because as soon as the doxycycline hit my stomach, everything would come back up! :shrug:
I don't know what it is called in the UK, but it is a wonderful anti-emetic. I am glad to hear that the lump is going down! That is great news! Are your other symptoms getting better also?

I know what you mean about your hubby; been there done that! :wink: As Pat recently explained, he wanted to do something to fix the problem, but realized that time and patience were all that was going to help! He is a problem solver like most men, and it frustrates them when they see us in so much pain, but can't do anything about it!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though! I am working out with Abby my personal trainer, I do Boot Camp fitness on M,T, and Th, and I am loving EVERY minute of it! The knee is doing great! Hold on, better things are coming your way also! :happydance:
 
Thanks Sonja. I'll do some research on Zofran. The lower part of the incision still hasn't healed but when I saw the nurse yesterday she wasn't too concerned as she thinks it is just superficial. I go to see her again on Thursday and on next Thursday next week I see my surgeon for my post-op check up so we'll see what he has to say about things.

My GP is referring me for some physiotherapy which I hope will get me more enthusiastic about exercising. I do the exercises but I know I could do with a bit more motivation.

To try and give myself a bit of a kick up the backside I have just reread my posts about the journey with my left knee. I got through that, so I can get through anything, but it also made me realise that I am only 4 weeks post surgery! Linda x
 
Hi Coopernob, you have been through a lot with both your knees. Oh my goodness. I wish you good luck and good recouperation. Hope all is well. Good healing to you.:flwrysmile:
 
Linda,
Happy to hear the superficial infection seems to be clearing, hope your stomach settles down soon. Take it easy in PT and be sure they are gentle with you.:SUNsmile:
 
Yesterday when I saw the District Nurse for wound dressing, she wanted me to see the on-call doctor too because of the on-going nausea. She gave me a thorough going over and said it could be reaction to the fluclox, a viral infection, a uti or a middle ear infection. Whatever it is I wish it would go away! She has given me some anti-sickness pills that seem to be working a bit.

The physiotherapist from the surgery rang today and I see her for initial assessment next Wednesday. It's back to the DN on Monday and then my surgeon on Thursday so another medical week in prospect! Linda x
 
Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your wound. These strong antibiotics can sure affect you.

I was on large dose of ciprofloxacin IV for 11 out of the 12 days in hospital along with another IV antibiotic beginning with 't' whose name eludes me. I They made me feel really sick and I had ondansetron (Zofran) IV to start with.

Are you still on the fluclox? if so how long do you have to stay on it.
 
Today I saw my surgeon for my 6 week check and he was pleased with me. He was slightly concerned about the wound still being open and took some swabs, but isn't expecting there to be anything amiss. I have to see him again in a month for another check on things.

Yesterday was my physio assessment and that, too, went well. I'm almost at 0 extension and 105 flexion which was a surprise. I can now start adding a few strengthening exercises in, and when I see the physio again in January it will be at the local hospital where there is much more in the way of equipment to use.

The not such good news is about my poor Mum who was admitted to hospital last Saturday and who, we've been told, has only days left with us. She's 94 and in the depths of dementia so my brother and I are ready for her to go to Heaven, but it seems she's not to going to give up without a fight. Each time the phone rings my stomach lurches and I think this is it, and the nearer to Christmas it gets, the harder it is. She lives nearly 200 miles away from me and I know that travelling that far would do my knee no good at all, and that there's nothing more I can do for her, but there's still that little bit of me that thinks I should be there. We are all praying that very soon she will be at peace. Linda x





​
 
May she soon be at peace. I understand how you are feeling. Thinking of you and your family
 
I understand how you feel. My Dad had Demenita too. After a series of TIA's, he went to sleep and never woke up. Had he known his true condition he would have not wanted to hold on as long as he did. In the end, it is a blessing for him/her, and the loving family left behind.
 
Hi Cobbernob, I am glad you are doing well with your knee. I am at that same flexion too. That is great and you are just a little over a one month out. I am so sorry about your mom. My mom is 81 and she has Alzheimer's and it is a difficult situation to deal with. I am so sorry she is ill at this time. God bless her 94 years of age. She sounds like a trooper. May blessings be with you and your family at this time.
 
Well, against all the odds Mum has rallied and is still with us. She's now back at her care home and apparently had a good day on Christmas Day!

I went down with a sickness bug on Christmas Day night so spent all of Boxing Day in bed. I'm up today but very weak and woolly and my new knee doesn't want to work at all. Hopefully it will get back to where it was when I'm feeling a bit stronger.

Hope everyone else had a good Christmas. Linda x
 
[Bonesmart.org] All done and dusted
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] All done and dusted
bottomshollow
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom