Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR All done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jozilla, I just realized you are in Newburgh, I am in the Middletown area !!! Small world, huh?? The anesthesiologist and OS will speak with you the morning of surgery, you can tell them then what I want, if not able to talk to them before. Can I ask, where are you having your surgery ?
 
Wow you are so close! At St Luke's hospital and will be in their joint replacement center! It is a very impressive center to have in this area. I have had two previous surgeries - bladder sling in Horton - loved my doctor in Middletown Dr Galarneau. The other was in Cornell Weill in NYC and had my thyroid removed. My OS is Dr Rauschenbach from Cornwall who I love. My concerns because of my sleep apnea is how much anesthesia they can give me during my spinal and also what type of pain medications I will get. The nurse at tkr class said patients are well medicated and they will chase you down every 3 hours for meds. However my meds will be different because of sleep apnea. I am going to email my OS on that one. Also they do not give morphine at all to joint replacement patients. Did you have your surgery yet? Are you using Orange Regional? I have heard great things about that hospital. So nice to hear from someone so close by!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Tonight my right ankle and foot have blown up like a balloon. It can't be because I've been on them too much as I've had my leg up nearly all day. Just hope it's the bruising still coming out and not anything I should be worrying about. Linda x
 
Jozilla so funny that we are so close !! I had my surgery on 8/1/13 at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. This is my 3 knee replacement in the same knee in 4 years. 2 of them being done locally, the third time I decided to go to a specialist & am glad I did. I apparently have a hard time keeping replacements, they pretty much fall apart so thought I should see an expert. I has morphine for the first and was not impressed. Didn't really help & made me really foggy. I felt so much better after the spinal & nerve block. My husband had rotator cuff repair in March and he has really bad sleep apnea. It was not a problem at all. Just talk to the doctors and let them know what you want, they really will make you comfortable'. It's a scary process waiting for this to be done and I was a mess, but the day of surgery I was as calm as hell. Must have been the realization that I was finally doing something about the pain. There are some hurdles after this, don't kid yourself but it does get better each day. Unlike what we were dealing with before. I am 3 months out & doing pretty darn well. Went back to work in 6 weeks full time and although there was swelling at the end of the day it wasn't so bad. Hang in there, it will be done before you know it :)
 
Linda,
I hope your ankle and foot swelling have gone down, if not give the OS a quick call for reassurance in the morning.
Sending you wishes for an uneventful recovery.:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks Pumpkin. It doesn't seem to be quite as swollen this morning but I'm keeping a eye on it. I suspect I'm just being paranoid but . . . .
 
Linda - Hope you have a better day today and are comforted with your sister's visit. I am fluctuating between wanting the surgery so bad and terrified of going thru the procedure. Peace and prayers to you. DebR thanks for your post - I will search for your thread to read! You sound like you made the right decision going to HSS in NYC.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good to hear you are doing well in recovery, Linda. Sounds like you are going to have a good recovery. Don't forget that patience is the key.

Enjoy your time with your sister :flwrysmile:
 
Today the day 10 miseries have kicked in. I just knew when I woke this morning that it wasn't going to be a good day and it's not. Tears at the slightest thing and no motivation to even do my exercises, let alone anything else. I know this happens and so I'm not too concerned - I just don't like it! I'm sure that part of the problem is that I'm extremely tired. I'm awake every couple of hours during the night and although I do eventually go off again, come morning I feel far from rested.

I realise that this is all par for the course but I just needed to off-load to people who understand. Now it's back to rest, ice and elevate. Linda x
 
Linda, what you are going through IS perfectly normal. We have all had ups and downs and shed tears sometimes unexpectedly. You are just in the beginning stages and you have been through so many procedures I know you realize all this. But emotionally it still takes a toll!!

You have us and we will all get through this. :friends:
 
My poor husband! All he said was 'Are you feeling better today?' for him have a jibbering wreck on his hands. Then I had a text from a fellow kneesie saying 'isn't it about now that you start thinking why did I have this done?' A bit of been there, done that is a wonderful thing! Linda x
 
Today I needed a change of scenery so I've been for a car ride in the bright sunshine and then a VERY short walk, but boy, do I know about it now. My knee and ankle are both very swollen so I'm reclining on the sofa, with my leg raised and encased in ice. I thoroughly enjoyed my expedition but I hope I don't regret it over the next few days. Linda x
 
Two weeks on and the District Nurse is due to come today to do a wound check on my knee and to remove the staples. I have a sneaky feeling though that I don't have staples this time as there has been none of the pricking, pulling and discomfort that I've had from staples before. That would be a bonus.

I hope she turns up or the dressing will have flapped itself off as the edges are getting very unsticky. I haven't seen the wound yet so it will be interesting to see how it looks. Pics may follow! Linda x
 
The District Nurse has been and, joy of joys, no staples, just glue. Mixed news on the wound - the top half has dried nicely but the bottom half is still very soggy so has had to have another dressing on it. It all looks a real mess but I know that it will improve with time. The DN will come and check it again next Monday.

Her parting advice was to keep the leg elevated and iced. Now where have I heard that before?! Linda x
 
Guess who has joined the Overdid It Club, but I don't mind at all. Last June I saw that the stage show of What the Ladybird Heard (one of Leila's favourite books) was coming to Bradford so I booked tickets for me to take her. Little did I know then that when the time came for us to go I would be less than 3 weeks out from another knee replacement.

I wasn't sure that I should go, but I so wanted to take her that I gritted my teeth, took the painkillers and off we went this morning. Paul took us to the theatre door and picked us up again afterwards so I knew I would only have 2 flights of stairs and a 55 minute show to contend with. Well I did it and any discomfort I'm feeling now, or that develops over the next few days, was worth it just to see the look of wonderment on Leila's face during the performance. She loved every minute of it and took great care of her Granny.

Now I'm going to take to my bed for an hour or so and then will be sitting doing nothing for the rest of the day (and probably tomorrow and Monday and......) with my leg elevated and iced.

Grandchildren are just the best thing and being a Granny is such a privilege. :) Linda x
 
Some things are just worth it...especially grandchildren!!! Hope you feel better today.
 
Awwww...how sweet. I agree that this memory is worth a little pain and discomfort. It's only temporary....the memories for both of your last forever.
 
I had to see the nurse at my GP surgery this afternoon to have another wound check as the lower part of it still hasn't healed. She was still slightly concerned about it and I have to see her again on Monday.

The thing she was more worried about was a hard, red, warm, painful lump which has appeared at the top of the wound over the last couple of days. I have been concerned about this too, but couldn't get an appointment earlier than the one I already had for today. I was also seeing my GP for replenishments of painkillers and so she asked him to have a look at it. His diagnosis was the word I was dreading but also expecting - infection. No! Not again!! He said that at the moment it's localised and hasn't gone into the joint itself, so he hopes a 10 day course of the loathsome flucloxacillin will sort it out. Me too. I certainly don't want a repeat performance of 4 years ago. If it doesn't start clearing up in a day or two, or gets any worse then I have to go straight back to see him.

I'm feeling very fed up and more than a little anxious. We have family arriving for the weekend any minute now and I've never felt less like being sociable. Perhaps I'll take to my bed for the next few days! Linda x
 
Jozilla,

I have had a general 4 times for the knee surgeries and I have sleep apnea. They put a tube down my throat. I found out Tues that even with losing all the weight and exercising, I will always wear a cpap, because of the structure of the back of my mouth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom