BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Ahipgma recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ahipgma, May 1, 2019.

1. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

United States United States
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    There wasn't a lot of difference between the two arthritis- wise.
    I'm better informed this time around and just pray the second one is uncomplicated too...
    and even more confident in my surgeon as he already did one. He even said he'd make sure my leg length would be ok with the 2..I'm under 2cm difference with no.1

• Like Like x 2
  2. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    That sounds like you are coming right along. Although back sleeping is annoying for many of us, side sleeping following a posterior is pretty uncomfortable for a good while anyway so you aren't missing much.
    I can't imagine doing bedside nursing even at 8 weeks. The demands on your bodies are really something else. Hopefully if you do have to go back that soon, they can put you on modified duties.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @ahipgma I saw this on another thread and just had to post to you about it.
    I have warnings because you are only 3½ weeks out and if you'd read the Activity progression for THRs then you would have seen this

Week 3
    Lengthen the walks to about 15-20 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your hip to be painful.
    Activity: prepare yourself a meal or help prepare a family meal but not all of it. A little bit of laundry but not all of it.

Weeks 4 and 5
    Increase walks around, to 30mins, longer if you feel up to it.
    Activity: now you can do some dusting and push a vacuum round the middle of the living room; do a little meal prep (for yourself not the family!), maybe fill and empty the washing machine

Plus you shouldn't be using alcohol when you are still in recovery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

Hi@josephine
    Thank you for caring.
    You are a nurse and so am I and so is @Mayhip8. We cant help worrying and trying to help no matter what the circumstance.
    But to put your mind at ease on the thread you saw we are having a fantasy night out, as a matter of fact if I were to pick the other 2 ladies up I would drive a long long way as they are in the UK and I am in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
    The shrimp dinner I really did have out with my husband was delicious though.
    Thanks again for all you do!!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a sweetheart you are @ahipgma
    Just realized that your forum user name is "a hip grandma" is it? If so....I'm s-l-o-w.
    I hope you, Mayhip8 and ChrissyW enjoyed your fantasy night out. I thank you all for the invitation, didn't want to tell you I wasn't available because I was going to have a cocktail "in the real" :martini:
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

@Layla
    Yep my little granddaughter is such a big motivator for my getting my 2 surgeries and getting better, hence my user name.
    This forum has become a special part of my life right now and I look forward to it every day. Thanks for all you do, too.
    And I'll get there with the cocktails!
    Right now I'm working on a good nights sleep!:tiredwheel:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

6 weeks has come and gone and I went for my follow up today
    Got an xray and there she was! My nice new hip.
    All restrictions lifted and the date for #2---- August 21.
    My surgeon asked me , are you glad you did it? And I said yes, let's set a date for the next.
    He ranged both my legs and made a face when he examined my not done yet one -- I know very well that the left leg has little range of motion and that it's even hampering my new hip a little-- at 1/2 mile that old hip starts to hurt where my new one could keep going.
    Of course the new hip is still sore and crampy and let's me know when I've overdone it.
    But I wish I could just tell everyone who's afraid , dont be.
    What I was more afraid of was life passing me by and constant pain and sleeplessness. Of course I wont be totally anxiety free when it comes to the day but more than anything grateful for the chance to really heal, both sides! Bring it it on!!!:yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ahipgma, that's what we need to get out there to anyone considering a THR and you said it perfectly! Life just speeds by so quickly anyway and we should get the most out of it that we can, and be pain free, it's possible! It truly does happen! So I'm happy to see you have a date for your next one. Just think what next spring and summer will be like for you! :yes!::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

@SE Florida we had once in a lifetime trip planned for Italy this fall. We were blessed to be able to back out with no financial consequence because my walking had gotten so bad. We're rescheduling for April/ may 2020 so indeed, God willing spring and summer will be wonderful:thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@ahipgma Wonderful news! After that other one is done, the sky's the limit. How exciting, a trip to Italy to look forward to....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ahipgma That is so exciting for you to look forward to! You are going to have a beautiful trip and you'll feel so good doing it. I swear having my last hip done makes me feel 10 years younger and you will too. So happy to hear the wonderful news!! You'll rock it! :dancy:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

August 21, @ahipgma ! Very excited to hear this! And delighted to imagine you will have Italy to look forward to, while you recuperate from all your surgeries. I am guessing you’ll want to take bionic eyes with you to really see the sights .

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@ahipgma that is a great report. Glad you've got a date for number 2, if it needs to get done might as well knock it out now instead of later! And that trip to Italy will sure be incentive!
    :kitty:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

LOL @Ptarmigan I had to think back to our conversation in the past to figure out what you meant! I think hip #2 will enough cutting on my person for one year ... though when I do get my cataracts fixed
    I will go the bionic route for sure.
    You, @Elf1 and I will be going for surgery all over the summer---you are days away
    Elf1, my birthday buddy I should call you, they turned out some tough women in '56!
    I think my surgeon asked me "are you glad you did it" because he probably he gets people who are mad that they aren't dancing in the streets the week after.
    I over did it today and my hip is telling me so. It's a journey with recovery for sure but still much better than the alternative, slow and steady wins this race!:walking:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@ahipgma I like that, birthday buddy! I agree they turned out some tough/strong women in 56! Told my husband the other day that I've always prided myself on being a pretty tough/strong women but this hip is kicking my butt!
    :tantrum2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

We’ve got a few folks on BoneSmart with August dates now, although I think I am the only surgery “novice”. (I don’t really count the cataracts, as they were more like dental appointments...not even dental surgery). Tickled pink that you will be an “August Hotshot”.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

8 weeks out and got my OS blessing to remove my restrictions and do light exercise 2 weeks ago.
    I ventured back to my gym to do my arm weights to try to fight back my bingo wings and very gingerly after that got on the elliptical, dialled the the resistance down to nothing and slowly started.
    Shiny new hip=NO PAIN
    hip to be done 8/21=pain, even with the resistance at 1, I used to be up to 13 after working at it 10 years.
    Tomorrow I'm going back- the pain free exercise is a miracle. I almost cried.
    I just have to go slow because of the unoperated hip. After ,the new hip felt great. I know I can't overdo ,and I wont but I was thrilled!!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ahipgma, such great news! So happy for you! :yay:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@ahipgma Glad your new hip is working well. I am looking forward to using my elliptical again, I like it really well. Patience, patience. #13 on the elliptical, that's really up there. I think I always used the low setting and just went faster, then slower, then faster depending on what song was on my Pandora.:running::giggle:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

You'll get there! I didn't have my tunes with me today but I had slow ones to start, faster in the middle then slowed it for a cool down. I would just be in my zone and felt wonderful after.
    I had to stop because it hurt too much
    That's why we have these surgeries @Cecropia :happydance:!

• Friendly Friendly x 2