Guest viewing is limited

TKR After a year and 2 months

After 2 years, I still have the dead, numb feeling around my ankle. I saw my knee surgeon yesterday; I am at 112 knee bend. A little less than last year. I have stiffness most days and some minor pain especially if I work in my yard. Surgeon said probably scare tissue, he thought it best to wait another year or so. I asked about doing an MRI to be sure, he said it probably would not work well because of the metal in the knee. Does this make sense?
 
MRIs are a bit more challenging after joint replacement surgery because of the metal, but with the right adjustments, they can be done. If you continue to have problems, you might want to give it a try. But if your problem is adhesions, the recommendation may be to do a Lysis procedures that cuts out the scar tissue. You want a specialist in this procedure as it is very tricky. I would certainly look around for some revision surgeons who are experienced in Lysis of Adhesions if you want to pursue this.
 
I guess this is good as it gets, I will learn to live with-it like this. Thank you I will look foe Lysis of Adhesions doctors in my area.
 
Went to the knee doctor first of April, my bend is 112 degrees, this is after 2 years my doctor said anything over 110 degrees is good, I guess he hasn't tried dressing or going down steps with a 112-degree bend, yes, I can dress myself and go down steps, it's a little challenging. But no problem. My problem is the dead skin and tight rope feeling around my lower leg and my ankle and foot (numb as asleep) and tight. Now that dead feeling is starting to wake me up at night along with some discomfort, the doctor said it should improve. I'm aware my knee was fixed every day it is an irritation, that reminds me daily, I would be fine with the results, if the dead feeling would go away, I can live with 112 degrees bend, I wondering has anybody had this problem and did they find a solution to the dead feeling?
 
Now that dead feeling is starting to wake me up at night along with some discomfort, the doctor said it should improve.
Could be a sign that some nerves are waking up. I had a large numb area in my right (first) knee for a long time. One night about 2 years post-op, I was awakened by nerve pain in that leg. It happened again the following night. A few days later, I noticed that some of that numb area had developed sensation again.

Our bodies can surprise us at their ability to recover even when we think healing as stopped.

Hope you experience the same.
 
Nerves can take an incredibly long time to regenerate. If you are concerned about what you’re feeling, you could see a nerve specialist (neurologist) and have a nerve study done. That might give you more information about what’s going on. Or, you can just wait it out and see if things improve. Hopefully they will.
 
Last edited:
TKR done April 2023, I still have that tight band around my ankle , it seems to have gotten worst it is now waking me up at night, difficult to find a way to sleep without the irritation. My Rom is now at 112 degrees not any better than before. I walk at least 10000 steps every day mow my own lawn do my own wash, have a dog i take care of he makes me bend over a lot . I think I will find a new doctor.
 
I think that is a good idea to get a second opinion
Nerves can take an incredibly long time to regenerate. If you are concerned about what you’re feeling, you could see a nerve specialist (neurologist) and have a nerve study done. That might give you more information about what’s going on. Or, you can just wait it out and see if things improve. Hopefully they will.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree, it never hurts to have another set of eyes to look at your issues and ears to hear you out. Just make certain to go to someone not associated with whom your seeing now.

As for a nerve conduction study / test, that too might shed some light on what's happening. That is an easy test done in an office setting. Maybe the second opinion doctor might order one.

Let us know what you decide to do.
 
I'm 3years since TKR, my bend is 112, my doctor said that is all you need to walk, I still have numbness and irritation around my ankle and a few inches above, I have stiffness, Slight pain, I can walk steps are ok going down is somewhat irritating, putting on socks pants and undies is still a chore, my doctor says I should wait at least another year to remove scar tissue , that he is not sure that is the problem. Has anyone else had this issue after 3 years?
 
@Guss I’m sorry that you are still having these issues after 3 years. If it was me, I would make an appointment with different surgeon and get their opinion.

And by the way, I moved your recent post over here to your own recovery thread.

Let me take a moment to explain Bonesmart’s membership, there have been some changes since you were here last. There are two levels of membership, a Basic Member, and a member of the Insiders Club.

Just to let you know, you are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to only search the forums, read about other recoveries, and post on threads that are already established, as long as your post relates to the original poster’s topic.

If you want a more personal and interactive experience, including starting a thread of your own, as well as input from the Bonesmart Staff, I hope you will choose one of our options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small contribution cost to be a member of the Insiders Club goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.
 
I did just get a new opinion from a different Doctor, He said, I'm at 100 degrees of bend , the numb nerve damage feeling around my ankle can happen, my options are Leave it as is, or have it removed and replaced with a new knee, I will have to decide. I wonder has anyone else had a replacement done and what was the outcome?
 
Hi Guss,
So sorry you're dealing with an issue. Hopefully the OS you met with was a revision specialist. If not, you may want a third opinion. If you're looking for feedback from others that experienced TKR Revision, I will leave a link to those threads for you to check out. HERE
There is a current member, Aussie Bill who is active on the forum and he's about three weeks post TKR Revision. Here is a link to his thread -> HERE
Wishing you the best!
@Guss
 
After 4 years I found a different doctor, MY real bend is 100, My original doctor was trying evidently trying to make me feel better or whatever. Well, I have a decision , complete removal and replace with no guarantees it would be better. I decided to live with it the way it is. And my other knee is getting close to needing some help. All in all Im still healthy so On I will enjoy life.
 
Thank you @Guss for updating us.
Simply to tell another side of a knee story I am now 8 weeks post revision TKR and doing really well. This whole experience is definitely much better than my first time and I am happy I went through with a second operation.

Since you originally joined in 2023 Bonesmart has changed slightly in order to cover the non-profit running costs. You are currently registered as a Basic member, which limits Forum participation. Basic membership works well for people who only want to research and read about the surgery and recovery.

To seek more in-depth advice for yourself, ask questions, and receive individual help from the Bonesmart Team we recommend that you join the Insider's Club. All the Bonesmart staff are volunteers. As an Insider, you will automatically receive advice from staff and gain access to our extensive library. You can learn more about our
Membership Program and Guidelines for Posting in these articles, and if you’d like to join us, we look forward to welcoming you as an Insider.

Basic members may still post in another's thread, but only to share information that helps that member, and you can continue to post on your own thread but may you not receive many responses.
 
Is it normal for my tkr knee to be way warmer than my original other knee?
 
Is it normal for my tkr knee to be way warmer than my original other knee?
Please do check this with your medical practitioner.
With my knee surgery the heat in the new joint lasted quite some months while the healing process was underway and then settled. So for me the left knee is still very warm at 12 w post revision op and the right knee is normal temperature with no additional heat and its operation was last July.
 
Hello Gus,
You have a great attitude...you're still healthy so you'll continue to enjoy life. :thumb:

At almost 3.5 yrs post op, I agree that it's best you check in with your surgeon's care team regarding the ongoing warmth to see if they'd like to schedule you for an appointment. If the warmth has steadily remained since your TKR without any other symptoms like pain, swelling, redness, fever or drainage, it may not be concerning, but because it's persistent it's wise to have it checked.

We've mentioned the Insider membership a couple of times because you'll get more personalized, one on one attention from our staff including guidance tailored to you. It could be a good fit for you given you may be facing another procedure with your Left knee. Please consider joining us so we're able to advise you, offer support and encouragement and so that you're able to start a new thread should you have a second TKR.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom