TKR After a year and 2 months

Certain exercises cause pain all the way down the front of my leg.
These are causing more harm than good at your early stage of recovery. Pain is always an indication that your knee isn't ready for that particular exercise. You should wait a few weeks and then try it again. If there is only discomfort, then your knee is ready for it.

This is a trial-and-error recovery. The knee should always be in control for you to have the best and easiest way to recover.
 
@Guss My TKR was May 3. I also have this tourniquet feeling around my knee, calf, and ankle. For myself I’ve found that it helps to massage it to help release some of that binding feeling. I can’t do that to my ankle since I still am unable to reach it very well. I do lots of ankle circles. I find this binding feeling really annoying, and I have been hoping it goes away soon. The other night I woke up needing to massage every part of my leg that I could reach. Note to myself was that maybe I walked too long the day before. This realignment of the muscles seems to take some time as I had a knock knee that is now straight. I’m trying to be patient, and I’m looking forward to the days when the knee/ leg, ankle are no longer a problem. I hope you start feeling better soon.
 
I had the same thing. Turned out it was the way I was walking. That all changed after the surgery. The opposite side is very bad, need that one done also. But the way you walk changes and puts a lot of pressure in the ankle and other knee, even the back. I have to pay attention to the way I walk and go very slow. After a couple of weeks of being so careful and going slow, heel to toe walking , that finally calmed down. It’s fine now, as long as I don’t walk fast and walk correctly.
 
My knee replacement was March 22, 2023; I am now a little over 4 months out. I followed the surgeon's orders to a T. Eight weeks of physical therapy 3 times a week. Yes, it was extremely painful--I had to push myself to get out the door to get to therapy and endure the pain. A key to PT is to have a therapist who is knowledgable and the exercises provided are beneficial. In order to continue to get better you must be pro-active, not only by going to PT but doing some follow up exercises at home, and when ready, outside of home---in addition to PT.
After I was able to, I returned to my water aerobics class 3 times a week--the water exercises helped tremendously; my mobility continued to get better and better. I read extensively about water exercises and after experiencing success, I highly recommend it. Practicing walking up and down a few stairs was also helpful. In other words----keep moving, keep doing prescribed exercises on a daily basis. Sleeping was a challenge as well. Not able to sleep on my side I re-programmed myself to sleep on my back and was able to get my sleep--an important aspect of recovery. I was very discouraged at the beginning--I thought the pain would never end, I thought I would never be mobile again---but over time and diligence I'm finally almost back to normal.
 
. A key to PT is to have a therapist who is knowledgable and the exercises provided are beneficial. In order to continue to get better you must be pro-active, not only by going to PT but doing some follow up exercises at home, and when ready, outside of home---in addition to PT.
We have found through the years that this approach does not work well for most of our members. All these exercises after having the major, traumatic surgery of a joint replacement cause extra pain and swelling, setting the recovery back and that the knee actually recovers better with gentle, non-painful movements that cause no increased swelling or pain afterward.

You are one of the few that have benefitted from your type of PT and I hope you continue to do well!
 
My knee replacement was March 22, 2023; I am now a little over 4 months out. I followed the surgeon's orders to a T. Eight weeks of physical therapy 3 times a week. Yes, it was extremely painful--I had to push myself to get out the door to get to therapy and endure the pain. A key to PT is to have a therapist who is knowledgable and the exercises provided are beneficial. In order to continue to get better you must be pro-active, not only by going to PT but doing some follow up exercises at home, and when ready, outside of home---in addition to PT.
After I was able to, I returned to my water aerobics class 3 times a week--the water exercises helped tremendously; my mobility continued to get better and better. I read extensively about water exercises and after experiencing success, I highly recommend it. Practicing walking up and down a few stairs was also helpful. In other words----keep moving, keep doing prescribed exercises on a daily basis. Sleeping was a challenge as well. Not able to sleep on my side I re-programmed myself to sleep on my back and was able to get my sleep--an important aspect of recovery. I was very discouraged at the beginning--I thought the pain would never end, I thought I would never be mobile again---but over time and diligence I'm finally almost back to normal.
I love the stairs and now can swim it’s warm in Ct. I did my exercises religiously. 90 minutes twice a day after I left PT. I felt they weren’t helping and moved to living life with stretching and sliders when I sit down and watch tv at night. You are on the mark with the water exercises. Swimming has helped tremendously
 
Right knee, total knee replacement. Was done Ten weeks ago, Not able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time, iceing all night, not comfortable sleeping on my side, some swelling around knee, very tight on thigh, bend to 100degrees,Ankle pain is very bad and irritating. not sure why Ankle is such a problem. still going to rehab 3 times a week. Anyone else have ankle pain?
My op was 17th June. Around w 6 I eased up on PT and found that getting on with everyday activities, gardening etc suits me. Swelling really improved, ROM about 110 so still working on this. Physio and consultant very pleased with progress and have been discharged.

At week 6 still painfull. Had conversation with physio and was told to just listen to my body. Now sleeping much better and no painkillers for the past week.
Be kind to yourself, it helped me.
 
It’s been since April 2023 that I had my knee replaced. Saw the doctor about a month ago my ROM is now at 110 I can walk easily and go up steps easily down is still a little problem Dr. decided the scar tissue removal operation was not needed at this time wants to see me in a year unless I have other problems now he tells me it may take two years for it to heal completely ,still bothers when I walk, especially at night it gets stiff and feels like it’s asleep but overall I’m doing OK except now the other name is bothering me, hoping for the best ,thanks for all the support
 
I can walk easily and go up steps easily down is still a little problem
This is not uncommon. At 6 months post op, I still instinctively would double-step going down and struggled with descending stair "normally" for many months. But, eventually, something just clicked and I was able to walk both up and down stairs without thinking about it.

It know 6 months seems like a long time, but you are still only halfway through this year long recovery. Try to be patient. It does get better -- with time.
 
now he tells me it may take two years for it to heal completely
It is very true that it can take an average of a full year, and even as much as 2 years, for complete healing. If only they told us this up front it would save us a lot of stress, thinking something is wrong with what we think is a slow recovery.
Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi there Guss :wave:
When you're feeling impatient, which is easy during recovery, remember that your leg endured major trauma, in a very small area, albeit controlled. Your muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue is going to cause you discomfort and pain for a time. There is a lot of healing going on and at six months post op you have time and room for improvement. Go slow and easy and enjoy the progress along the way. You'll get there.
All the best!
@Guss
 
I have a problem bending my knee, surgery was 1st week of April 2023, over 8 months ago. I now walk ok, go up and down steps ok. bend is almost 110 degrees. I can't seem to go any farther for the last two and a half months.
I have been riding a recumbent bike at least 3 times per week for 20 minutes and I am not able to move the seat any closer, that tells me my bend has not changed. I'm okay with my new knee it's much better than my old knee less pain. The new pain is a dull pain, my leg from the knee down feels like its asleep and the skin feels dead. Saying this I'm glad I have the new knee. I believe in time the feeling in my leg will improve. Actual I think it bends almost as far as my old knee.
I had the manual manipulation; my doctor could only get it to bend to 110 while under anesthesia. I stopped rehab after 3 months. at that time the bend was at 95. My doctor told me it takes 2 years to heal completely. I'm not even halfway there, so stay positive it will improve.
 
@Guss I saw the post above on another thread, so I copied it to here, so you would have it in your history.

Even though your ROM hasn’t seemed to improve more in the last 2 and a half months, you have had other improvements, so you are coming along well. After a slow first year, my ROM continued to improve all through my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. I even noticed a bit more in my third year!

I had the manual manipulation;
Please tell us the date of this MUA and we’ll add it to your signature. Thanks!

Best wishes as you continue to heal. :snow:
 
My bend is at 116 degrees I can walk as far as I want, I can go up and downstairs. My lower leg, especially around my ankle feels numb and like there is a rope around it. My knee is usually always a little stiff. The only thing I have a problem doing is putting on my sock on my right foot, (the new knee leg). Really not complaining, every day I can tell I had the operation, but it is much better than before the operation. I do everything I want and need to do. I'm hoping in another year I will be even better.
 
My lower leg, especially around my ankle feels numb and like there is a rope around it.
I’m sorry that you still have this numb feeling. Has it improved over the last year? What does your surgeon say about it?

I had the manual manipulation; my doctor could only get it to bend to 110 while under anesthesia.
Can you give us the date of your manipulation? We’d like to add it to your signature.
 
By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?


Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
What is revision surgery? I'll be 2 years in April 2025 and need something done to help my bend and discomfort.
 
I'll be 2 years in April 2025 and need something done to help my bend and discomfort.
I'm sorry to read that you are still struggling with pain at 20 months post-op. Can you tell us a bit more about your symptoms? Your last post, back in June, seemed happy with your progress.

Have you seen your surgeon and had an Xray recently? If your implant is fine, you don't need a revision. Revisions are done for infection, loosening and wear. If those are ruled out, you are likely dealing with soft tissue problems and need to see a pain management specialist. Here is an article about Revision Surgery that may be helpful: https://bonesmart.org/knee/knee-revision-surgery/

Also, please notice that I've merged your newest post into your original recovery thread because we prefer that members maintain just one recovery thread for continuity. This way all your information is in one place, making it easy to find and serving as a diary of your recovery. It also enables our staff and other members to advise you better.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find.

For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom