THR Advice please for groin spasms

Hi Layla. Been ups and downs for me. I have been walking without assistance for a few weeks now. Back issues have caused me problems which means some days I do very little. Not walking as much as I should. Have physio exercises daily as muscles still weak. Hip still causes pain at times and bone above hip goes if I bend too far. I am phoning surgeon to get it checked out. Also my anxiety is still high. Meds I was given causing side effects so changing over. Still nice not to have awful grinding pain 24/7 tho. So slow progress, but will get there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well...walking without assistance is progress. I am sorry your back is bothering you and that anxiety is high. It's good you're contacting your surgeon and hopefully he's able to offer some reassurance or suggestions that bring you relief. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Happy Sunday!
@Janiebee1
 
Advice needed please. Five months post op. Last couple of weeks I have been laid up with sciatica in nonop leg. Pain, restless legs, and feet twitching. So have done very little walking. I've been doing my gentle exercises. I have developed pain in op leg now. Feet twitches, some restless leg too. Hip is very sore. The other day when doing an exercise I felt a pop in my hip. I can stand up ok, but walking starts to hurt after 15/20 mins. I have been sleeping on sofa as it's comfier than bed at the moment. Do you think pop is down to my inactivity? Muscles?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:wave: @Janiebee1

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with sciatica and I know my fellow staffer @Jaycey has discussed issues about this after her THR.
Perhaps she will lend her thoughts about this.
 
You are welcome...
Though I haven't really had these issues...I know there are some stretching exercises that can help.
Have you tried alternating heat and ice? This therapy can often provide relief of sciatic nerve pain. Ice can help reduce inflammation, while heat encourages blood flow to the painful area (which speeds healing). Heat and ice may also help ease painful muscle spasms that often accompany sciatica.
 
@Janiebee1 As Mojo said, I have lots of experience with sciatic pain. Try heat or ice - whichever works best for you.

Another option is a TENs unit. You can pick these up at any chemist or on-line. When I have a sciatic flare I use mine for a couple of days and the nerve settles pretty quickly. Here's an article from our Library on TENS machines for pain management. The article refers to knee pain. But you can use TENs for any pain management.
 
Thank you. I do ice and heat. It's worse at night. I am just worried the pain in my op hip has set me back by not moving much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You've gotten some good advice. As long as you are moving, even in small amounts, you won't lose too much ground, so to speak. The gentle stretches help. until you can get some relief from the sciatica, it will continue to be a challenge. It's the sitting or lying in bed for long stretches at a time without regular breaks of getting up and moving that will do a number on you. Move as tolerated, try some specific sciatica and piriformis stretches (this is the muscle that can put pressure on the sciatic nerve) and check in with your health care professional if it continues to impact your daily living.
 
@Janiebee1 I wonder if you've tried modifying whatever you're sitting upon to help with the pain. My non op side got awfully painful and tender in week 1-2, and switching between a firmer cushion and a soft pillow on my seats helped. I would have thought my own rather generous natural padding was plenty, but I remembered what a rather 'fluffy' friend used to say..."Sometimes too much isn't enough" :wink:
I hope you feel better soon :flwrysmile:
 
I have been sleeping on sofa for last couple of weeks. Mattress on my bed needs changing to a firmer one. I have a back support cushion for sitting plus a firm one too.xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Off to osteopath this morning. I'm so over this pain and restless legs. Hip4life, thank you for your comments. I think have got in a vicious cycle as been lying down way too long in the day. I will try to walk a bit more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So do I. lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from 1st appointment with osteopath. Fantastic. Pushed, pulled every which way but amazing. My biggest problem he says is me!!! I am allowing anxiety to rule me and I go into protect mode which makes pain worse. So I was given some gentle exercise to start with and walk little and often. Op hip is good he says, implant not going anywhere. So reassured about that. Cant wait for next appt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So happy to read all went well! The treatments really worked for me.

It is natural to want to protect that new hip. But that implant is pretty tough and it has been there long enough to allow you to move around freely.

Are you going for weekly treatments? Well done!
 
Just to update. Went to bed, got up once. A few twitches but such relief to finally sleep without pain and restless leg.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom