Guest viewing is limited

THR Advice please for groin spasms

I didn't have problems with appetite because of meds but the second and third week after surgery I had a day here and there of blue mood which resulted in a loss of appetite.
 
Now I have finished antibiotics and steroids. Appetite is coming back. Keeping it little and often.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Janiebee1 I forgot you were taking antibiotics. They always cause me stomach problems. Glad you are done with them and can get back to normal.
 
Antibiotics make me queasy. Steroids make me so jittery. Glad all done. Still bit tired and was wobbly on legs yesterday as I've been resting a lot. Much easier today. So happy I actually fancy food again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts would update on reflexology. Have been having a weekly session for 4 weeks now Have.been great. My feet swelling gone on operated side and other foot coming down nicely. Gently realigning my back. Walk upright really well now. It's non invasive andvery relaxing. I get a real boost when she says can feel difference.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone use a sitting bike? Not sure what the proper name is. The one where you sit in chair and cycle. If so, was it helpful? I have just gone down to 1 crutch and definitely need to build muscles up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just gone down to 1 crutch. Walking well. Weight bearing, but leg feels bit stiff. Guessing it's the changeover. Need to increase muscle?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That seems normal. Our gait changes as our hip deteriorates, then it changes once again as our body adjusts to the new prosthetic. We distribute weight differently from walker to a pair of crutches, then down to one crutch, then walking independently. Give it time and all will fall into place. Six weeks in is still very early days in the whole scheme of things. You'll be walking confidently and independently in no time.
A great weekend to you!
@Janiebee1
 
Thank you Layla. That reassures me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stiffness can be related to swelling also. Not sure where you are with that, but swelling can last to some degree up to six months, my surgeon says up to one year! If you do notice any swelling, it's not too late to ice and elevate when you're siting around watching tv, reading, relaxing. Or maybe even try some very gentle stretches which may help also. I think even feeling tentative or protective of the op leg can make it feel stiff or like you're dragging it along...if that makes any sense. :wink: You're doing well and it will just keep getting better.
@Janiebee1
 
I don't really have any swelling now, except bit in foot. It's my knees that feel the weakest when walking. Which in a way makes sense as they are taking the weight as well. I just have to be patient. I get the protective bit tho. Or I'm trying too hard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of advice please. Went down to 1 crutch last week, can walk fine but developed lower back pain on non op leg. Very sore and when I try to go to sleep my leg starts twitching. I know that non op leg has taken weight off bad hip for a couple of years and now bearing the crutch. Has anyone else had this sort of problem and what is advice to strengthen? The twitching is so annoying. I put heat on it. Also, I have someone coming who does Bowen technique to work on me. I am 8 weeks post op. Any advice gratefully received
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Janiebee,
It would be easy to assume the lower back pain developed as you made the switch away from an assistive device. I guess time will tell. As for the twitching as you begin falling asleep, consider Magnesium. Many members have supplemented with it and found relief from twitching, spasms, RLS.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Since Lefty was taking on extra weight for o long as you limped and favored your right hip, it may take some time and your body readjusting to the prosthetic. I don't know much about the Bowen method of
manipulation / massage, but hopefully it brings you relief soon.

Please notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

If you'd like your thread title changed to reflect your issue, attracting attention from the readers here, just let us know and we will edit it for you. You can leave the new title below if that's your preference.

Best Wishes!
@Janiebee1
 
Thank you. Will take some magnesium.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today I finally started walking without a crutch. It felt so strange, rather stiff and wobbly but so chuffed I managed. It's a start.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be in a big hurry to stop using assistive devices. If you are wobbly or limping the assistive devices are more than likely still necessary. This isn't a race to get rid of cane/crutches although it is wonderful when you can just walk freely, I do understand.
 
Does anyone use a sitting bike? Not sure what the proper name is.the one where you sit in chair and cycle.if so,was it helpful?
Do you mean a recumbent bike? If so I haven’t tried it yet, but I get to remove my dressing on Sunday (Big Landmark Moment - I finally see The Scar!) and if that all goes well I plan to head to the gym next week and have a pedal.

I had the posterior approach on Sep 17, so still have to observe my precautions, but I should be able to sit back in the chair and none my legs around. I am very much looking forward to it! I will report back….
 
Don't be in a big hurry to stop using assistive devices. If you are wobbly or limping the assistive devices are more than likely still necessary. This isn't a race to get rid of cane/crutches although it is wonderful when you can just walk freely, I do understand.
I am only trying a few steps a day. Will take your advice though and keep using crutch.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful week and beautiful Autumn day to celebrate this milestone.
@Janiebee1
 
Hello Janiebee,
I am wondering how your recovery is going on this four month anniversary?
Hopefully things are going well and you're enjoying steady progress. Please let us know wen you have time.
Best Wishes for a lovely holiday season and a great New Year!
@Janiebee1
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom