advice for failed labral tear debridement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad Jaycey tagged Jo for you. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she gives you a couple of names of doctors so you can seek additional opinions. The idea that you would just wait like this with no particular plan does not seem like a good approach.
 
@Jamie yes I agree. I'm so lost. Thank goodness I've got all your support on here don't know what I'd be doing right now without it. So so grateful to you all. I please need some help with this
 
@Misslucky Oh no! I'm so sorry that you didn't get any "plan" on moving forward. I know how frustrating that can be. I wonder if they are looking at your age? And just putting you off until they think you are "old enough".
I would start looking around for a good doctor for a second and third opinion. Like Jamie said, maybe Josephine can help with some names. Hang in there! Know we are all here to help and vent too. :)
 
@Tweetybrd thanks for your message. I really have no idea. I know the mri has shown nothing new which I just don't understand as I tested positive in the impingement test and still have all the same symptoms as before my surgery but something is not right. According to this it also shows no arthritis of any sorts so no idea what is going on
 
I've done everything they wanted me to do hydrotherapy, physio never missed an appointment but I'm still in the same boat
That's probably part of your problem. Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
nothing is working but steroids but that's not always going to be there I don't think.
People say that but I had steroid shots in my shoulders every 3 months for years and years! But I rather think you need to get a second opinion so could you tell me who did your hip arthroscopy and I'll try and suss out a couple of other chaps for you to see.
 
Yes if I'd have known that I would have bypassed that bit of physio etc. Saying that he was saying yesterday that if I'd been an athlete with a training regime after surgery (gym,swimming etc) I would have done a lot better due to the muscles being stronger and following a programme. He totally went against what you were saying plus he knew I was not an athlete previous to all this so why he mentioned it is beyond me ! It has no relevance at all. I'm just a 'normal' person not a runner just trying to live a 'normal' life. I've pm'd you
 
Well the first thing I've found is that Mr McBryde has only done about 60 THRs in the last year which I am curious about because it appears his listed interests include dysplasia of the hip and FIA. So I cannot quite think how come he has taken such an odd stance with you.

I've checked out the following
Philip Roberts 273 THRs 2015-2016 (Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital)
Stephen Young 263 THRs 2015-2016 (Warwick Hospital)
Neither of them express an interest in FIA or arthritis in the young adult but they do appear to be very experienced hip surgeons.

What you have to do next is ask your GP to refer you to which ever one you have chosen. If he gets 'umpty' about your request, you need to remind him that it is your right to a) have a second opinion and b) choose wherever you want to go. This is the law and it is explained here NHS choice: Patient's Charter and your right to choose.

What not to do is allow him to refer you to someone of his choosing! Be firm and assertive but whatever you do, don't argue or have a tantrum! Once you've got the necessary referral letter, let me know how things are going.
 
@Misslucky please don't feel intimidated by any of this. I know it's not the norm to request a specific referral but trust me - it can be done. I have done this 3 times. Yes, sometimes staff in the GP's office are awkward. But just be firm and determined. This is your priority - to get that hip seen to and addressed. Jo's suggestions are great as these chaps do high volume THRs.

Please keep us updated!
 
Thank you so much you have helped me no end. I just feel like I've been left on the sidelines. The scope hasn't worked and there is no plan of action as to a fix. I think my consultant manly does scopes Josephine there are many at the hospital that just does THRs maybe that's why he hasn't done many. If my mri is normal how will this warrent a THR? What is actually wrong ? Could it be that the hip just doesn't like that some cartiledge has been cut out and it now has an instability?
 
If my mri is normal how will this warrent a THR?
All an experienced surgeon needs is an x-ray. There is an issue with your hip as you are in constant pain. We often see members who need THR shortly after scoping. Sad but true. Fingers crossed you can get in to see someone soon.
 
@Misslucky ... I'm so glad Jaycey and Jo have been able to help you. Please know that all of us are here to support you as you work through this. It can be quite daunting to go against the flow in the medical world, but you can do it. After all, this is your health and your body you're fighting for. You deserve nothing less than the best! Don't hesitate to post any time to update or vent or ask questions. We're your support team!!
 
Thanks so much I'm overwhelmed with your support and encouragement. This truly is a wonderful site. I will fight this believe me. I've always said I will not go into my 40s with this bad hip I want to be on that dance floor at midnight and beyond welcoming a new stage in my life....not being a Cinderella running, well limping ha ha,down the stairs at the stroke of midnight! Again really truly appreciate all the help and advice. I'll keep you all posted
 
[Bonesmart.org] advice for failed labral tear debridement

That's the spirit!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom