Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Added spacer in tkr

@Punkin my bone are fine but loose leg with a lot of pain, had lots of therapy and got my kneecap tracking properly. But still pain and doctor said loose knee.
 
@pumpkln sorry misspelled your name. Dr said bone has grown in very well, but leg is loose maybe need a spacer. Is there a test to see how big you will need. Is there a test to show your ligament.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good news, I would be very hopeful that the spacer exchange will help.
If your surgery is postponed ask for a brace to stabilize your knee until you can have the spacer exchange.
@skigirl had a spacer exchange, she went onto 20 mile bike rides and teaching skiing 100+ days a season.
It may take her awhile, but when she sees the tag she will come and comment.

Is there a test to see how big you will need. Is there a test to show your ligament.

They will use trail spacers to find the one that fits, and results in stable ligaments. OS will test every spacer size and balancing your ligaments before completing the surgery.
 
@Pumpkln does a specialist have to do an exchange or my regular orthopedic that I have now.
 
Who has had a bigger spacer but in after tkr. Can you tell me anything about it?
We have had several people who have had a spacer exchange. It'snot uncommon to need this done.

Your surgeon will need to re-open your incision, to remove the old spacer and insert a larger one.

Although this is open surgery, a spacer replacement is not as serious as a complete revision.
You will be back to resting, icing and elevating your knee, but recovery should be faster this time.

You may find that at first, it is harder to bend your knee, because the thicker spacer will have tightened things up but, given time, you should return to your previous ROM.

By the way, I've moved your post about spacer exchange and put it into this thread. PLease continue to post about it in this thread.

If you'd like to read how some people have fared after their knee revision, select the prefix tht says "Revision TKR" and a list will come up. Some of those people will have had a spacer exchange.
 
@Jamie t3rd opinion, doctor said loose instable, maybe add spacer how often does that work.
If you do have a spacer in the joint that is the wrong size, it can cause problems, including pain. We have had a number of members who had spacer corrections and, assuming this is the reason for your problems, it could be the fix you're looking for. But usually if the spacer is not sized properly, the patient will have problems from the very beginning after surgery. If I'm understanding your situation, that's not the case. Plus there is the x-ray you posted of your patella which looks very much like a tracking issue.

I think your idea to try some therapy is fine. But also think it's a good idea to chat with some additional revision specialists.
 
But usually if the spacer is not sized properly, the patient will have problems from the very beginning after surgery.
Good point!

In my case, I was aware of it while still at the hospital. It took two months to convince the surgeon, but that's a different story.
 
@@Robert johnson what was your signs in hospital. I keep complaining to the doctor about pain at six week visit, and he said time time. Are you happy with your knee now? And how long was it before you felt good.
 
Yes, my knee is fine. The spacer change from 13mms to 16mms made all the difference in the world. The recovery was similar to the original surgery, but less pain since they don't saw bone again. But over a long period of time it kept getting better and better. Even now it's better than it was years ago.

But I would have no way of knowing, nor am I qualified to say that is your problem. However, if the surgeon is examining you (the test where he holds your thigh in one hand and foot in the other, and moves your lower leg back and forth laterally) and saying it feels loose, that test is what ultimately convinced my Dr and PT to try a spacer exchange.

But like Jamie said, one would expect you'd have noticed that right away at the time of your surgery. I think Jamie's suggested is the correct answer. There are some great revision specialists out there who would know for sure, and would advise you what route to take.
 
@Jean houston
Sorry you are having ongoing tightness with your Revision TKR for metal allergy.

I had a long and difficult recovery, with time I am doing well with my knee. Not perfect, but I do have my life back.

I still have tightness with repeated bending and straightening, primarily riding a bike or exercycle. It goes away quickly with some Ice and elevation. Otherwise I have very little discomfort with my knee.

Have you tried massage or a lymphatic specialist to help with the tightness in your knee? Most lymphatic therapists or OT's, PT's, or Massage Therapists, they will be certified to use lymphatic therapy.

Please post your revision surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!
 
@Pumpkln I’m sorry I had a complete revision. 14weeks was ago. I am allergic to nickel.
And I didn’t explain so sorry I left that out. I didn’t know how to use this site. if don’t mind answering me again I would very appreciated. Thank you
 
No I haven’t tried any extra therapy. How do you fimd that kind of therapy?

@Pumpkln my revision was 21 July 2020. No I haven’t tried anything other than regular therapy so far thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You can do an internet search for lymphatic therapists in your area. Ask your PT about lymphatic therapy, they should be able to refer you to a practitioner.
Most hospitals have a lymphatic therapist on staff in their outpatient departments and may be able to help you with a referral.
You can also check with your primary care physician or surgeon for a referral.

Thank you for your surgery date, it has been added to your signature, and you have been added to the July Sparklers.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom