THR Adaa on the otherside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adaa I am sure slidding down the stairs was very scarey for you. Heck with a healthy hip it is scarey when I had my house it had stairs and slid down those dang things more times then I can count. They had carpet runners down them. You may get bruise but from what they say if you dislocated you would know it the pain would be unbearable. Let us know what the doc says.
 
Went to see the doc and he took x-rays to make sure I didn't fracture anything or move anything out of place. Everything looked good on the x-rays. I am very sore and will probably have bruises to go along with the soreness tomorrow but I am very glad I didn't damage my shiny new hip. I love my OS he is very caring and helpful and was very worried when he got the message I left that said I had fallen this morning. He was very glad to that I came in to get it checked and to make sure that I was really ok. The only thing I do not care for about his office is the wait times that have been regularly 1hour + after the appointment time. LOL that is a long time when you are sore and can't sit in the chairs they have for very long with out getting stiff.
 
Adaa I am so happy the OS did x rays and your shiney new hip is good. Not good that you may be sore today but that is way better than a dislocation. Just grab the ice and ice er down today that will help with soreness and bruising.
 
Trish, how scary to slip down the stairs :yikes: but glad to hear all is good on the inside. Like Karen says, lots of ice and use the meds if you need to. :yes:

p.s. Good docs are worth the wait. Just means he's spending quality time with those that need him! Mine's the same way, so I always plan for it ahead of time (but I make sure I'm there on time).
 
Adaa. Oh my gosh, that must have been so scary for you. I think we all fear of the "fall"
Glad you got in to see your OS and that all is well. Take good care of yourself :)
 
Coming up on 8 weeks post op and doing good. Love my physical therapist, I do not want to "graduate" any time soon even though I am doing very well (even doing defensive slides for those of you that know basketball) I feel like I actually accomplish something when I'm there. I work up a sweat every time I go (granted I am way out of shape). I have been doing 5- 10 mins on the treadmill, 5 mins on the elliptical, 5 mins on the stair stepper, and 5 mins on the bike ( my best distance so far is 1.8 miles in 5 mins). I also do leg curls and leg extensions, squats on the bosa ball (half an exercise ball) working on balance, resistance bands working on the groin muscles to strengthen them and a few other exercises that he likes to throw in there to change it up. I have had 13 visits so far and want to continue the PT until I go back to see the OS in August (on the 6th). Maybe I will lose a few pounds by then.
Wish it would stop raining so much here, it does make my hip stiff when the weather changes.
 
Adaa What a great report, I am happy for you that you are doing so well. I have one more week of PT and I am going to miss my therapist a lot. She has done so much with me.
 
Adaa, wow you are really doing great. I have only had two PT sessions so far, and they have really helped, both for the inflammation and the ROM. Keep up the good work!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Adaa on the otherside
Adaa, what a terrific update!!! Happy that things are going so well for you. These man-made hips are the bomb!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!! Know what you mean about the rain---some days I feel we'll just float away;

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Week 10 post op today. Still doing very well and still going to PT 3 times a week. I do have a question though does anyone ever experience femur pressure or stress? Sometimes I feel like someone is taking the top of my femur and the bottom of my femur near the knee and trying to press it together to make it snap into. I feel this pressure about 4-6 inches above my knee on the leg that was operated on. It doesn't happen all the time. I told my physical therapist and he didn't really know what to do other than back off on some of the pounding exercises (like the stair master and step ups). When I feel this pressure in the bone, i feel it with every step I take. I have been very busy with basketball camps and practices all of june and i know that prob has something to do with it (maybe doing to much). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of discomfort or should I be calling my OS and asking him?

Thanks for the advise.
 
Adaa You have been very active indeed! basketball camp and all, I love it.:bicycle1: (that's supposed to be a three pointer from a bike LOL)

I agree, it won't hurt to call and to tag Josephine about your pressure sensation. You are probably attuned to your body, being an athlete, do you think it could just be muscle tension or spasm? I'm at 5 weeks and having all kinds of that going on. It does feel like pressure, too. Keep us posted! :)
 
Adaa At only 10 weeks maybe anything high impact is not advisable. There is a lot of internal healing going on for months, not weeks! I think Josephine has been away, but I have tagged her for you. Or advice from alexthecat might help. Let us know how you are doing (and remember the one thing the doctors can't give us - patience!)
Regards Anne
 
It sounds to me like you are doing much too much for this early stage of your recovery. Your hip is not deconditioned from inactivity. It is trying to heal from very invasive surgery. There is no way to hurry that healing along, but it can certainly be delayed by too much activity. It is actually not necessary to spend months in physical therapy. Many people recover quite well with no formal PT at all. Full healing takes many months, as explained in Jo's thread here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/healing-how-long-does-it-take.5424/
 
Stair master and steps at 10 weeks? :doh: Whatever are you thinking? And there's no 'maybe' about having overdone it. You shouldn't be engaging in stuff like that for another 6-8 weeks at least.
 
Heard back from the doc. He said the pressure on the leg bone was normal and that it was probably due to swelling of the muscles in the leg pressing on the bone. I told the pt to hold off on the stairs for a while and now that basketball is done for the summer I can slow back down for the next couple of months until school starts back again in August.
 
Time to take it a bit easier Adaa... And so pleased you have negotiated with your PT.. Slow and steady honey... Your body needs time to heal and recover. A THR is big surgery.. :)
 
Adaa I did some revision and read Jo's recovery thread again - wow, even at 7months post-op I'm still healing! I know you are much younger than some of us and probably heal quicker (and much fitter than some of us oldies to start with) but you still need patience! If only it came in a bottle from the pharmacy.:heehee:
I overdid it a bit yesterday with an early trip round ASDA (Walmart) followed by the village church Summer Fete and then a meal out last night. I did have a nap in between but the restaurant had wooden bench seats and I still get the "sitting on a lump" feeling - ice pack ready in the freezer for when I got home! Today is a rest day.:angel:

Take care, everyone! Anne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom