THR Adaa on the otherside

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read most of our early posts BM are a very strong discussion through most. :blush: Prunes are definitely good and all fruit helps, failing that you'll need a stool softener and maybe even a suppository, (just to get things moving)!! I felt really awful for the first week after surgery and it was the 'not being able to go to the loo' that caused it, not my wound!! :sad:Do you have Gaviscon over there, it's very good for acid reflux? Good luck with it and hope it'll settle down soon.
 
Finally got the nausea and acid reflux under control now battling the dreaded constipation. Have been taking stool softeners and laxatives but everything is still SLOW moving. As with all things this too shall pass ( lol sooner would be better).
On a positive note, I started my in home PT yesterday which went really well. Have another session today and 3 a week next week and the week after (which is when I have my post op follow up with the OS).

One more question, they put a waterproof dressing on my incision when I came home from the hospital. It has to be changed this Saturday. What should I use for the next dressing so that I can still take showers? Or is there a trick to covering a regular dressing?
 
Adaa Your dressing sounds like mine. I had this huge looking bandaid down my incision area. 7 days after surgery I was to remove it, that is when I discovered my steri strips instead of staples. The only thing is when taking a shower had to cover up with Glad Press n Seal as to not get it wet. (this meant the bandaid also). I would think in your discharge papers you would have instructions on how to remove it slowly. I'll tag Josephine the forem nurse and she may be able to answer your question.

Now about going to the bathroom, if you can drink prune juice it will definately get things a moving and make you feel so much better.
Josephine
One more question, they put a waterproof dressing on my incision when I came home from the hospital. It has to be changed this Saturday. What should I use for the next dressing so that I can still take showers? Or is there a trick to covering a regular dressing?
 
Hey, Trish, glad to hear you are feeling better on one end (even though the other end is being reluctant...).

I had purchased some waterproof covers to use, but I never ended up using them. Once my staples came out, the home nurse put on steri-strips and they said that they would come off in time and they were OK to get wet, just don't soak in a tub (ha! like that was possible then :heehee:). Like Liveringer said the discharge papers might have something on them. If not, do you have a home nurse coming in to take vitals or anything? They will probably have info for you. You can always leave a message with the OS office and ask if it's still not clear.
 
LOL yeah no kidding .. would not even think of sitting in a tub to soak right now. And my husband says that the nurse at the hospital did say to use glad press and seal plastic wrap after the bandage came off. I must have been in la la land then. And yes I do have a PT coming again on Monday and I am sure he can answer any questions I may have about the dressing.
Thank you guys for your wonderful support it means a ton to me.
 
One more question, they put a waterproof dressing on my incision when I came home from the hospital. It has to be changed this Saturday. What should I use for the next dressing so that I can still take showers? Or is there a trick to covering a regular dressing?
That's usually up to the nurse or whoever changes the dressing. If they think the wound is healed enough, which it usually is, it shouldn't need a dressing at all, probably just a spray of Opsite (plastic skin)
 
W. l it only took 2 weeks for the plumbing to clear out. OMG I feel so much better now. In home pt is going really well. The therapist says I need to slow down a little so he doesn't show too much progress and they cancel the therapy. I have in home scheduled for today and 3 days next week then start rehab at a rehab center in town. Go back to doc on Tuesday for my post-op visit. Husband says the incision looks very good so maybe the staples will come out on Tuesday as well. And I hope I get to move to a cane from the walker. Things are looking better now that I don't feel so bogged down with constipation. :yes!: :egypdance:
 
Adaa Very good on clearing out the plumbing. Feels great doesn't it? Have experimented with the cane? I switched on my own, when I wasn't wobbley with the cane is when I started using it witch was around the 12 day post-op mark. I bet your staples come out Tuesday and your gonna feel better having those out. Sounds like you are right on track and good for you. Let us know how you make out at the OS on Tuesday.
 
Just finished PT and the therapist gave me the go ahead to start using the cane. I don't feel as tied down now that I don't have the bulky walker.
 
Adaa, I have the staples in for a total of 14 days. Have you still got yours in?
Yes the relief from the constipation is so good. I had the problem with my first hip so I was prepared this time.
I am still on elbow crutches at the moment. I was told to progress to one then walking sticks when I felt ready.
Happy Healing Barbara
 
Yes I still have the staples in and they itch like crazy so i know they are healing. By the time I see the doc they will have been in for 21 days.
 
Trish, wow, 21 days! I had mine out on post op day 7. I know you're going to be glad to have them out. It does allow you a little more freedom with bathing and dressings (or lack thereof). Glad to hear things are mooooving right along for you now. :egypdance:

Funny about the PT and not wanting to "show" too much progress. We think mine got written up wrong, but I had someone by 2-3 times a week for 5 weeks. They said usually it is 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Mine didn't want to go. He was so happy to have someone that actually challenged him! Of course most of his hip patients were 15 or more years older than me as well...
 
I am definitely the youngest patient my pt sees. He likes coming to see me since I am able to do more than most of his patients. I enjoy the pt sessions because I actually feel like I accomplish something on those days.
 
Back from Doctors. Staples are out and incision looks good. Got to see x-ray of my shiny new hip. Looks really neat hope to get a cd of the x-rays soon. Doc lifted all but one of the restrictions I have with regards as to how I can move my leg. The only restriction I have now is that I can not bring my left knee across the midline of my body. Still chance of dislocation doing that. I can now bring my knee to my chest (eventually when the muscles get stronger) and I can rotate it inside or out as long as I dont cross the midline. I am cleared to drive again and out patient PT starts monday. The physical therapist will determine when I can come off the cane. Doc was impressed that I was already on a cane at 3 weeks post op
 
[Bonesmart.org] Adaa on the otherside
Great report, Trish. You'll be leading the parade before long. Just remember to take it easy---slow and steady wins this race.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Adaa on the otherside
 
Week 4 post op today. PT is going good. Therapist has me riding a bike and walking on a treadmill to work on my limp. Also doing lots of stretching and working on range of motion in my hip which is improving every visit. He still says that I need to use the cane but I can't wait till I don't have to anymore. He was very impressed with how well my recovery is going and that I am doing all that I can do already. He keeps telling me that I don't know how well I am really doing and I keep reminding him I don't have anything to compare it to. I just have to remind myself that its only been 4 weeks and to still take it easy.
 
Little nervous at the moment. I will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow, this morning I slipped at the top of the stairs and slid down the stairs. I don't think I hurt anything. I have a call in to the doc but haven't heard anything back from them yet. It scared me cause I am home alone and don't know what I would have done if I couldn't have gotten back up.
 
Adaa. Scary. Can you get to some ice? Rest until doctor returns your call? Let us know how you're doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom