Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACIM

Since this upcoming visit is supposedly your last one and you'll be released, you don't "click" with the PA, and you're still having issues, I do think you'd be happier if you rescheduled with your surgeon because of the pain issues you have.
 
Thank you. This is something I typically do with jotting down questions for any doctor appointment. My desire though is to cancel the appointment with my doctor's PA, as I am not comfortable with her and rescheduling to get in to see him instead. What do you think?
 
Hi ACIM, Happy Sunday!
I think that if you prefer to see the OS, you should express that. You can let them know that your recovery isn't progressing as expected, you have ongoing pain, and you want the reassurance of hearng from the person who performed the surgery. I'd be firm, but polite and if they say he's booked / busy, ask when the next available appointment is. Good Luck...let us know how it goes.
I hope today is a good day! :thumb:
@ACIM
 
@Layla: will do. Actually wanted to try to see him on my day off which is Friday. But he does not work on Friday so I'll take another day, any day that works. Thank you.
 
@Jamie
Hi. Layla just gave me the exact same advice so I'm going to cancel tomorrow with the PA and get in to see my doctor. I absolutely want to speak to him about the medication process and what happened. Plus my lower calf on the right hand side continues to give out. I will keep you apprised, thank you so much jamie.
 
Feeling very upset today. Spent the better part of the last 2 Days in bed because I think I overdid it on my leg on Friday going to work this morning feeling nausea still taking the acetamine and the ibuprofen, also feeling like crying and could not focus on my work today. Also wondering if I'm beginning to get sciatica but I won't let myself believe that yet. Tried twice to get in touch with my doctor's office to let them know I did not want to see the PA but wanted to see him instead. Of course, neither time was I able to reach their office. Finished with work now and very grateful but I have not moved. Almost started crying at work today , despair . I feel like because I haven't moved for the last two and a half days that maybe I should be walking a little bit. Thoughts?
 
It’s never good just to lie on the couch or especially lie in bed for extended periods of time. You need to get up and get dressed every day. If you want to rest your knee because of overdoing it, do so somewhere other than your bed. And be sure to get up every hour or two to walk around your living area (no stairs unless absolutely necessary).

When you know you’ve overdone it, you don’t just completely stop doing things. You just allow your activities of daily living to be your exercise, be sure to gently bend and stretch your knee every hour or two for 5 minutes or so, and use ice and medication if you have pain. As any pain lessens you gradually add more movement. The key word here is “gradually.”

Remember that you DID a lot of moving today by going to work. That counts. On the days you work, you don’t need any other errands, activity, or exercise.
 
Really? Thank you. Unfortunately I do have two flights of stairs to go down to get out my front door, same thing coming back. In addition I have a nice set of stairs at work that I must climb to get to my desk and vice versa.
The good news is, it occurred to me last night that the only thing really kind of hurting is the quad right above my surgical knee. Every time I put weight on it it hurts, not the knee not the calf but just the quad right on top of the knee. I have not been using the surgical leg much to go up the stairs because it hurts. So all of the weight climbing stairs goes into my left quad, my non-surgical knee. I'm going to call my doctor's office again today to see how soon I can get in to see him, not the PA. Was actually debating not to go to work today and just stay home and rest the quad but after hearing what you have said I am going to work. I hate calling in sick anyway especially after having taken 5 weeks off for the surgery. Wish me luck!
 
I hate calling in sick anyway especially after having taken 5 weeks off for the surgery. Wish me luck!
I wish you luck!
Take it slow and easy and remember it's still early days for you. Taking five weeks off work is seven weeks short of the twelve we recommend...with the understanding that amount of time off doesn't work for everyone.
I hope today is a good day! :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you layla. I did end up calling in but will make up the hours tomorrow, ugh! I understand about waiting the 12 weeks to go back to work but I simply couldn't afford it. Not to mention that I had not been at this job that long and did have concerns about taking that amount of time off. Today I'm just going to focus on composing myself and being outside a bit to enjoy nature, something I don't feel I've done for the last 2 months. I am drained, both emotionally and physically. Had a nice walk just now and I'm going down for a nap as I seem to be tired all the time. Go figure, lol! Was able to get an appointment to see my doctor but not until a week from Thursday. Thank you so much for all of your advice and feedback. Have a beautiful day. Blessings.
 
I am drained, both emotionally and physically. Had a nice walk just now and I'm going down for a nap as I seem to be tired all the time.
This is common and not surprising since you're healing from major surgery. Internally you're still recovering from the trauma. Pain and stiffness can wear on us mentally. You've been pushing through weeks of discomfort. Keep reminding yourself that you're in a long game, not a sprint. Get sleep / rest, eat healthy meals and stay hydrated it can help with fatigue more than most expect. May today be a good one!
 
@benne68
@Layla
@Jamie
@EalingGran
Good morning. Worked 8 hours yesterday and really paid the price for it. Been going downhill into depression and don't understand why I keep "fighting myself."
I was able to get an appointment with my doctor this morning instead of next week like they originally scheduled me. I am grateful for this. Also I spoke to my boss yesterday and told her I had a couple of appointments coming up that would alter my schedule at work. Do you know what she said to me? She told me to consider taking a couple more weeks off work! I was so shocked and so touched by her kindness. We have definite deadlines we need to meet at work so when she advised that I could take a couple more weeks off if I wanted I was thrilled. I wanted to jump into her lap and start licking her face like a golden retriever, haha. So when I see my doctor today I will tell him that my right quad it's so tight I cannot stand up from sitting down and I cannot sit down from standing up without pain in the quad. Also have the inside of my surgical knee hurting and I understand from this form that that is not uncommon. I prayed yesterday and asked the powers that be when I was going to heal. The answer I got was that when I wanted to be healed I would be. Go figure. I am wondering if getting some muscle relaxers from my doctor might help the quad. I have gained 8 lbs since the surgery. I had wanted to lose 10 lb prior to the surgery. I guess I'm learning a lot of lessons here about acceptance. I know that I have been remiss and not following the rules for bone smart. Guess I thought I knew better. Blessings.
 
Just sending support to you @ACIM on your healing journey. I’m glad you have support at work that’s very encouraging. Your retriever part made me laugh.
From what I read on this wonderful forum you are still very early in your recovery. I know from my own experience that life sometimes challenges us, and I learned a long while ago that our bodies have the power to stop us in our tracks. Over the decades (6+) learned to listen more to mine, and work on achieving more balance in my life (work, rest, play, sleep - in no particular order). When I didn’t really didn’t listen something might happen to stop me completely like a bad back or a streaming cold. I have yet to undergo my knee surgery (x2), and I’m sure I’ll be challenged a lot.
There’s so much support and advice on here, you’ll get better, especially using the wealth of information on here and the brilliant admins.
Low mood is also very normal post op, there are lots of threads about that, and lots of good advice.
What brings you joy? I find consciously seeking out something (or 3) that brings me joy, or I’m grateful for every day, and writing it down really helps. Then on a particularly bad day I can look back and remind myself of the joys of the last month, or longer.
Today, my joy is a new plant flowering in the garden, it’s so distinctly and shockingly pink, which I didn’t know when I bought it, and it’s made me laugh. I can’t wait to show my friend next week when she’s back from holiday.
Hopefully tomorrow you will feel a little better especially with the current pressure of work eased. Take care.
 
Good Morning ACIM,
I'm sorry you're feeling down. It is very common, which I understand is cold comfort right now. I'd advise you speak to your PCP about it if it continues. Keep in mind that brighter days are on the way, which I'm certain you recall from other recoveries.

Read the article in the Recovery Guidelines on Post Op Blues, if you haven't already, and also the thread -Depression / Post Op Blues and know that you're not alone.

Thankfully you're getting in to see your OS sooner than anticipated. It is wonderful news that your boss is giving you more time off work! She obviously understands that it takes more than six weeks to heal from the trauma of joint replacement.

I understand this is frustrating, but healing doesn't always follow our timeline. Your body is working hard and quietly to repair itself every day. Recovery takes time, certainly way more than a couple of months. Please give yourself permission to move at the pace your body needs to heal properly. Take a couple of Patience Pills :wink: and let us know how your appt goes. We'll be here! I hope you have a reassuring visit with your OS today.

[Bonesmart.org] ACIM

@ACIM
 
It sounds as though your quad muscles may be in spasm. This can happen when you try to do too much before your body is ready. Muscle relaxants might help, but they won’t cure the problem. You are going to need to slow down and take care of your body. You probably also could benefit from a good therapist who knows pressure point therapy to help release the tight muscles.
 
Okay, just had my final follow-up with my doctor, not the PA. Everything looks good as far as the bone goes and the knee replacement. My concern was the ligaments, tendons, nerves, muscles, which you cannot see on an X-ray. He spoke to me about making a real commitment to physical therapy and gave me a couple of simple exercises to do. Of course I do walk a lot which I know that bone smart supports. I showed him your website and, like my last Orthopedic Surgeon 3 years ago, he pretty much ignored it. So I have the next 11 days off work and I'm really going to commit to PT. Of course I'm going to be walking but also using my little floor bicycle that I can sit on a chair and pedal with. Also, he suggested I start taking the surgical leg and stepping up and down off of a very low step. My right it's very tight but I have to turn this last corner! Something tells me I've been unable to accept this for 7 weeks, the surgery. Time to heal now. I love you all.
 
@ACIM …. When you commit to a therapy program, you need to do ONLY that program that your therapist prescribes and monitors. Don’t add other activities or exercises or you will be doing more than you should. Everything you do (exercises, home chores, errands, walking, using that peddler) contribute to your “therapy” program. If you do what you proposed in your post above, you’re going to still be overdoing things. Please slow yourself down and discuss with your therapist exactly what you should do each day. Tell them EVERYTHING you do when you’re not in therapy so they know how much activity you are attempting.
 
@Jamie,
I do not have a therapist for PT. The last three surgery I had I went strictly by bonesmart PT program. It's $35 a session to go see a PT and I cannot afford it. I appreciate the feedback and I do have three exercises I will be doing daily that I haven't been doing before. The fact that I have the next 11 days off should give me plenty of time to start regaining my strength. One of the exercises is to take one step up the stairs with my surgical leg and then back down and then repeat. The second exercise involves a little floor Peddler that I think I told you about. I forgot enough hand with the third one was but I've got it written down. And of course the walking too. I am doing the best I can. I do know I pushed myself too hard and too soon. This has led me to the situation I am in now.
 
I’m glad you recognize the changes you need to make in your recovery effort. And I understand the issue with therapy copays. It can get expensive very quickly and fitting that into a budget can be difficult. You can obviously do the exercises on your own so you should be okay. The trick will be resisting the urge to do more than yiou should. At this point you are still healing. Anything you’re doing should not be for strength….just motion to keep the joint loose. Strength exercises can come at the 6 month mark.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom