TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

@Needhope, I know it is hard, but what is going to happen is going to happen. You need to let it go and give it to God, then leave it there. Sitting there worrying about every thing is adding stress to your whole body. Stress slows down healing and increases pain. Let it go!!
 
I agree with sistersinhim. Stop stressing yourself. It's wasted energy and it's bad for your knee.

Have you seen your own doctor about your anxiety issues sine your surgery? If not, do go and see him/her and explain how you are feeling.
 
@sistersinhim I try, so hard to do exactly that. Guess I’m not trying hard enough.
@Celle i have an appt coming up and will once again address my anxiety issues. I had to wait until I was confident driving myself. I’m high anxiety anyways so I don’t know how much more he can do for me since I’m already on anti anxiety meds.
I guess let it go, just breathe, accept whatever comes my way because I have no control over it.
This forum has been very informative and supportive. You are all beautiful people. Thank you.
 
As far as I know, I still have a job, but I don’t know what may transpire if I cannot get extra STD pay and time. I anxiously await the letter to find out if I report back to work next week or I’m granted more time to recover.

Gosh @Needhope I so identify with your situation. I have similar financial worries, but I do have a social security check every month, although its not enough to live on. In addition to knees, I have other physical issues, including fibromyalgia, plus age - lol. Do you journal? I have found journaling to be such a source of strength and comfort. I use it as a form of meditation, asking myself questions and writing as the answers come. Then, too, I write about anything that is causing me emotional reactions, good or bad. Sometimes the answers that come are inspired. Sometimes not. But the act of journaling releases the negative energy that builds up with the fear and worry. And I go through phases with it, sometimes journaling every morning upon waking, other times going weeks without journaling. I highly recommend it though. And I do it on my laptop, as my arthritis in my neck and hands make it difficult to sit and handwrite. I can sit comfortably in my rocker with my feet up and my laptop on my lap and write to my heart's content. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you, dear Needhope. You have no idea how much your posts are helpful. Much love.
 
@mlwreader ... I had started writing notes to help get rid of what thoughts were haunting my mind. Other times I wrote what I was grateful for. I haven’t done it in a while. I think I gave up. I’m feeling more down than up lately because no matter what I do, I can’t get these knees off my mind, and everything that goes along with them. God bless you, thank you for your kind thoughts.
 
@Needhope.. i don't write things down but i'm quite good at putting things into perspective. I'm a glass half full kind of person ! Over the last 3 years, i've had 3 different lots of surgery, emergency Gall Bladder removal, Umbilical Hernia Repair and this TKR, each one has had it's problems recovery wise. When i feel myself starting to feel down or sorry for myself whilst i'm recovering, i try to think about others who are in a much worse situation than myself, for example, a friend who has breast cancer, another who lost her baby through cot death, my sister in law whose husband committed suicide. When i find myself stressing about my pain/swelling/lack of ROM etc i try really hard to remember that i am really lucky, yes i am in pain, but lucky to be where i am today. My children are healthy, i have a job and a home and i have a knee that will eventually be OK.
I know not everyone can be like me but if you concentrate on something else other than your knees, you will feel more positive about them i'm sure. You will feel better eventually but focusing on them all the time isn't good for you. I hope you don't mind me posting this, i want to help you feel better.
 
@hopalong61 I welcome any thoughts and insights from anyone here. I count my Blessings, no matter how big or small. But pain and financial insecurity concerning my knees, No, I don’t consider them welcoming personally. I don’t feel sorry for myself, actually that is farthest from my way of thinking. I’m just scared about what’s to come whether it later today, tomorrow, next month, next year. I’m not half glass full kinda person, never was, always waiting for the next problem or situation that I know will eventually come that I have to deal with. I never did foresee my TKR’s. No doctor ever alerted me to that fact throughout the many years I’ve been seeing orthopedic specialists, since I was in my single digits in years. My knees just decided they were done. I just wished I was better prepared dealing with this. And it’s hard to concentrate on other matters when the constant dull pain, and uncertainty of falling when I walk, is constantly being reminded to me every single time I move my legs. I cry when I’m in pain, I cry because I’m scared at 52 and unsure how to pay my bills, I cry when I grieve for others pain, not because woe is me.
 
I can now breathe a little. I got the letter from STD company, been approved until my next OS appt at the end of June! :yes!:. Whew! Sweating a little less now. More time is a blessing to get my TKR’s back into shape :dancy:. You have no idea what a relief it is for me. But, since I’m a pessimistic person, I think I’m doomed when I get back to work because I’m sure they’ll fire me the second I walk back through that door. I saw it happen to older workers like me with physical issues. For now though, I’m counting my blessing! :mooncat:
 
I'm so pleased your STD has been extended. That should relieve some of your worry.
Have you been in contact with your employer?
 
Yes @Celle . A couple weeks ago. I asked him if I still had a job, he said as long as I can walk. (But that was my nice boss, not the cold big wig).
 
A little hard piece surfaced at the end of my scar. I flicked it off. Now I have a little red hole. No blood or oozing. Should I put something on it like antibacterial and a bandaid? [Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<
 
No, leave it alone, and just keep an eye on it for changes. Both of my surgeons said to never put stuff on the scar, no lotions or other remedies, until it is well healed and a few months down the road.
I only used Steri-Strips a few weeks ago when my incision didn't look like it was knitting together well in the center, and was getting irritated from my compression stockings on it.
I wouldn't be touching that area either unless my hands were super super clean.
 
It was probably a bit of scab that you flicked off.

Just leave it alone.
 
Forgot to talk about your work situation on the last post that I just sent.
Glad you have an extension, but like others have said, you can't worry about what if they fire you. If they do, then I guess you just have to get another job when you are physically able.
If that happens, and you need financial assistance, there are programs out there for people with these problems. You are not the first, and you won't be the last to have to fill out information to possibly get financial help temporarily.
And if you don't get well enough for a long time, you might be eligible for Social Security disability. Sometimes that takes a couple tries to even be approved.
But if you have a legitimate case there, and the doctors see and know this and have it in their documentation as they should, that would assist your case.
 
@sistersinhim you have no idea what a temporary relief I feel!
@kayow11 I cringe at the thought of going on job interviews. My resume’ is a joke. I’ve elaborated in past posts my situation. I also don’t feel confident getting a new job, explaining what’s wrong with me, that I can’t squat, kneel, etc... I guess I could bag groceries. @Celle.. it was kinda clear, and hard but very tiny. I washed it off with the red solution they gave me for preop.
 
I like the focus on something else for awhile suggestion. It gives the mind a well needed break. In the last 2 weeks I watched 2 1/2 seasons of Billions. That’s like 30 episodes. Find stuff to binge watch. Lol
 
@nuttybrunette My first tkr I watched every episode of Shameless, Outlander, and Parenthood. This time, I ran out of ideas. So regular tv has been my distraction, good old game shows and repeat episodes of Greys Anatomy. I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s real life Fairy Tale wedding like a little kid. Hehe!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom