TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Just take it easy on those baby knees! I have children, but what always comes to mind is an old expression my Mutti always said. A mother can take care of 10 children, but 10 children can’t take care of one mother. Of course she spoke German, and made more sense than in English!
 
Nobody gets it unless they've been through it themselves.
People are used to recoveries from surgery being "all better" within about 6 weeks. That just doesn't happen after a knee replacement.

Maybe you could show them this:
TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos
 
Better yet, show them a real video in real time of a replacement. Youtube has them. I watched one before my surgery. It made me realize how much I had to take it easy!
 
My short term disability company gave me 8 weeks to recoup from the date of my LTKR April 4. Is it unreasonable that I request 8 more taking into consideration that I am allowed 26 weeks from date I started Disability leave on Jan 29, not do to my own fault, but my companies suggestion I leave at that time due to their own liability concern because of the condition of my knees at that time? It’s a long story that I have written about in previous posts here. I highly doubt I’ll be fit to return the end of May which they (insurance co.) expects my return. I hate this unreasonable time limit, 8 weeks to recover? Seriously? My anxiety grows every day that day comes closer. I can’t do this in just 8 weeks time! Regain all that muscle, stamina, oh gosh.... it’s too much.
 
Do what you can for yourself one day at a time. No one knows what their condition will be one month from now. Do all the positive things for your self. It takes all the mental and physical strength you can muster to get to end of the road of recovery. Thinking and praying for you.
 
Catching up with you just now Needhope. Mutti3 is correct. You will find your recovery from each knee will be different. Having had both knees replaced (and both hips), I wouldn't worry about one leg ending up a bit shorter or longer. My understanding is very few people, even with all their original "parts" are perfectly symmetrical. Oddly, one of my legs is slightly bigger than the other (!!):rotfl: - a fact I would never have known except my OS had to use a larger implant for my left knee than he did for my right. My theory is the right gave out earlier, so my body built up the left more as it took on more of the work.

Regarding the pops and such, as sistersinhim earlier pointed out, your body is making all sorts of adjustments. Remember than as your knees wore down, your body made many adjustments to compensate for what was going on inside. Now it is having to adjust to the "new normal" - you working to be tall and vertical again. Give it all time to realign ... it will. So glad they aren't painful snap, crackle, and pops!

On the actual knee pain, as many of the articles here will tell you, so much is due to the swelling from all the construction work done in such a small area ... and it sounds like you had more done than most of us! I took the gravity theory of elevating to a new level and often laid on the couch with both feet up on the wall and read, just to help the fluid seep through the construction zone of my knees! Additionally, a friend who is a massage therapist, did some gentle lymphatic massage to help move the fluids through, starting below the knee and working up my legs. While it did not relieve all the pain (healing itself causes pain), it dramatically reduced the swelling, such that my OS remarked on how little I had at each of my 3-week appointments. Moreover, my muscles loved it!:dancy:

Wishing you well.
 
@NightQuilter I'm doing the best I can with what reserves I have left in my “banks” (physical,emotional,mentally,etc.) . This second TKR came on suddenly before I had time to heal completely from the first. Challenging it is. I’m more aware of different sensations and feelings in my body now since I had the second surgery. I thought I knew how to walk properly, guess not so. A lot has changed and a lot to adjust to. It’s daunting at times. Overwhelming at times. Not sure how I’m gonna manage in the days and weeks and months to come so it’s kinda scary. I never took my knees for granted because they were always giving me trouble and I adapted. I’m struggling to do that now on a daily basis. I know each day brings me one day closer to a new “normal”, but I’m scared to think of what that’ll be. Hopefully I’ll feel like they are part of me without consciously being aware they are not. My PT must be the bare minimum for TKR rehab. No bells or whistles. I would love a massage, never had one in my life. So for now, I massage my knee/thigh myself when it wakes me up in the night screaming. I cry when it cries. Can’t wait for this to be over, it’s tiring and knocks me down in every way imaginable.
Thanks for reading my thread. God Bless.
 
Point that out to your PT. They can help you do some stretching exercises that will help. Eight weeks is quick to go back to work especially if you are on your feet a lot. I found that by 12 weeks I was ready to go back. Perhaps you can try to push for that extra 4 weeks. My OS filled out all the paperwork necessary to get me the 12 weeks I needed. I'm a nurse so I am on my feet a lot during the day. Before you go back to work make sure you get some new shoes/sneakers since the wear pattern can be different after your knees have been replaced.
 
@newlybionic I work in a factory, concrete floor. My short term disability required additional medical reason if needed more time off. But they usually gave me a form to have OS fill out and this time they didn’t. I’m not sure what info they need. Maybe OS notes? I go tomorrow for 2nd follow up with OS since surgery. I don’t know if I should mention it then, or contact their office closer to my cutoff date for STD which is May 28. I bought new sneakers a couple weeks before my surgery, and didn’t wear them until after my surgery. I was glad I did that.
 
Definitely point that out to your PT. My issues (other than the knees!) were also with the IT bands. I had developed a severe valgus (knee deterioration such that the knees started "bending in" and feet were "out;" article on that in the library on BoneSmart). After years like that, the IT bands were effectively shortened, so when I got my knees and my legs were straightened out, the IT bands were being stretched. Quite painful. But again, the massage and some stretches focused on the IT bands helped immeasurably. Your PT should be able to help. And the idea with lymphatic massage is to get the fluids moving through your muscles from your feet up through and to your core where they can recirculated through your blood (as I understand the process! I am not a doctor and have never played one on TV! lol). A massage therapist trained in lymphatic can do it more effectively than we can when we try to massage ourselves. Worth checking out.
 
Talk to your OS tomorrow. Most OS that I know of usually want their patients to have 12 weeks minimum to recover from a TKR. The Insurance company will need his notes to indicate you need more time.
 
My short term disability required additional medical reason if needed more time off. But they usually gave me a form to have OS fill out and this time they didn’t. I’m not sure what info they need. Maybe OS notes? I go tomorrow for 2nd follow up with OS since surgery. I don’t know if I should mention it then, or contact their office closer to my cutoff date for STD which is May 28.
Why not phone them now and find out exactly what they need, then you can talk about it with your OS tomorrow.
I expect they will need written confirmation from your OS that more time is needed.

If you need a form, ask if they will email it to you, so you can take it to your OS tomorrow.
 
PT today. Ice/elevate is my bff now. OS says knee looks good and swelling/stiffness/pain should start to diminish. Sent a note to std hopefully that’ll suffice if not then OS (well he won’t personally but his staff will) will fill out necessary form to get me another month on std. Fingers crossed I need more time to heal no doubt.
 
Since I can’t have prescription pain meds prescribed , and Tylenol does nothing to lessen it, I’ve done research and read that a shot of whiskey can help dull pain. I never felt this desperate for pain relief in my life, but I’m doing this as a last resort to help me get through some must needed relief from never ending pain. I’m tired from it, no sleep, it’s driving me crazy and I’m trying like heck to utilize meditation, breathing exercises, aromatherapy, music therapy, the list goes on.. My right knee wasn’t this painful. It was intense but not like this one.

Sooo, holding my nose, and down the hatch a shot will go. Desperate times call for desperate measures. At least I’m honest about what I’m doing, I could very well find “street” pain relief but won’t sink to that level. That’s not me.
 
Isn't it a shame that addicts can get opioids on the street, but tkr patients can't get them from their doctors. There is something terribly wrong about this. Does the whiskey help dull the pain some? I guess one thing you need to be certain of is that alcoholism doesn't run in your family. If not, as long as you don't drive or work around any equipment, you probably will be OK. I certainly understand the need for pain relief.
 
@sistersinhim ... The whiskey did help but unfortunately doesn’t last longer than an hour or so. I’d have to take a shot an hour to maintain a little relief, that’s just not gonna happen. I’m not driving yet, not working yet, and yes there is alcoholism in my family tree. I’m just so desperate for a little pain relief that when I read about it, I thought I’d try it. Considering it only dulled the pain for about an hour, I’m not planning on taking a shot every hour for 24 hours but I might take a whiskey shot for a bit of relief time out, every now and then. I’m desperate! If I was a lame horse, .... well you know what they do. At this point, I envy the humane treatment of a lame horse.
 
I just feel so bad for you, with not getting adequate pain relief. It is so ridiculous! It makes me angry.
I never had to deal with anything like that after my three surgeries. In fact, I am just done now after taking oxycodone for five weeks.
I can't speak to the whiskey solution, but I can't imagine you'll get that much pain relief from a swig or two. Got to be careful with that too, but I understand about unrelenting pain and no sleep.

It is impossible for your family to realize the kind of pain post surgical knee replacements are. Also, it goes on and on and on for weeks and months. People aren't used to that kind of recovery.

But nevertheless, despite that they don't understand, Don't do things you should not be doing. Just let things go, cleaning and other tasks that you think are necessary. If you aren't getting enough help, just do what you can for yourself to help yourself and leave all that other stuff up to someone else. They will never understand so don't try.

Again, I am so thankful for my husband who has been very diligent and consistent with helping me. I can't imagine my life without him.

I also can understand your dilemma with work and disability ending. There is no way you can really do your job after eight weeks of this kind of surgery. Again, it is so ridiculous your whole situation and how unreasonable some healthcare people and people at work can be.
If you ever have to have another surgery of any kind in the future, make sure you check out your surgeons policy on pain relief, and your work situation with disability, before hand if possible. You don't want to be dealing with this issue again.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom