TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Ummm... yes. How’d you guess?
 
Saw the zip code. Funny I live here small world!
 
I’m around 132 degrees bend with O whatever you call that other measurement.
Extension which is straightening. And those numbers are excellent!
I was only on pain meds for 10 days after surgery because my Dr said they were only for post-op pain
Mean old so-and-so! So what you had after that wasn't post op pain then? Not only mean but stupid too!
So since then I’ve been taking otc Tylenol. Don’t know why, because it didn’t touch the pain.
Tell me what dose you've been taking and how often? I might have some advice for you.
I’ve still got pain on outer knee area
Have a look at this and see if it fits at all Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?. If not, I have something else to ask you.
Since I’ve stopped going, and doing exercises on my own, my knee is less swollen, less painful and I’m gaining more strength.
Yayyy! Good for you! You did yourself a mega big favour doing that!
 
@Josephine ... I’m currently taking 1000mg Tylenol usually only once a day when the aches start. My biggest complaints are the funky uncomfortable feeling deep inside in the area below my kneecap, the outer side where the femur meets the tibia, and the heavy-weighted feeling in both legs surrounding the knees. Feels like their encased in cement.
 
The anxiety I’m feeling about returning to work on Jan 2 is getting the best of me. I work in a factory with concrete floors and my coworkers aren’t exactly understanding, compassionate people. They all couldn’t believe I was having this surgery in the first place. Not much support. Dog eat dog kinda atmosphere. I don’t have the option of phasing back to work. I’m expected to work my full 8 hr/40 hr work week. I wish there was something someone could say to help me get through this very hard transition. Ugh. It’s not the work I’m afraid of, it’s the looks, whispering, criticism, eye stares as I walk slowly into work that first morning. I wanna throw up just thinking of it. :dead::sick::groan::tantrum:
 
needhope, anxiety is very difficult to deal with, support is your best friend. my daughter has dealt with anxiety for ever and now writes a blog about it how to deal with it and others, check it out: sylvmarcia.com, she calls it a Mental Health Lifestyle Blog. She is not a doctor but from some of the comments and repost she gets, it looks like it helps quite a few people. You are not alone. unless they have been through it they will never understand, I guess it like me trying to understand having a baby, nope that is not going to happen.

Good Luck, chin up, it takes a lot of courage to do what you did.
 
I definitely didn’t take the decision to have this replacement lightly. For a couple years prior, I’ve had Synvisc injections which didn’t help. Also had 2 prior surgeries on same knee to address patella dislocations and arthritis which affected me since childhood.

2014 had lateral release and arthritis, damaged cartilage clean up.
2017 had a fold done to tighten all the loose ligaments, and put my knee cap back into a normal tracking mode, lateral release again, arthritis and cartilage clean up.

Dr assured me he could no longer keep scraping off bad areas in there because there wouldn’t be anything left. So I had TKR done. The pain had gotten unbearable and my quality of life suffered. Back in the 1990’s I had a Tibial Tubercle Transfer on my left knee. So, I’m a veteran of knee surgeries but this one has taken a lot out of me physically, mentally, emotionally... it’s been a trying experience and still is.

You are right in saying nobody knows what I’ve been through. Somehow I’ve gotta remember that when I walk into work next week. Was just hoping I had more courage, confidence and less anxiety.
 
Wow, Major Veteran, you should be proud!
 
You are right in saying nobody knows what I’ve been through. Somehow I’ve gotta remember that when I walk into work next week. Was just hoping I had more courage, confidence and less anxiety.
Remember when you go back to work that you have been brave and courageous. You made a decision to have a major operation that will improve your quality of life. Instead of having a painful knee that would have continued to deteriorate, you now have a new knee that will continue to improve.

Try not to take any notice of the negative atmosphere at the factory. You're just there for the money - not for support and friendship. Try to be cheerful and pleasant. Much of the nastiness will stop, once they see you take no notice of it.
 
Try to stay positive. The surgery is done, now you have no choice but to move forward. Imagine a spring where you can once again walk without pain. Check u Tube for easy exercises geared for seniors with peppy boomer music. Many of them can build strength and flexibility. I think it’s normal to want to sit a bit to rest our legs. It will get better. I’m a month behind you
 
You may want to take tylenol 3 times a day on a schedule--especially once you return to work. I did.
 
I’m currently taking 1000mg Tylenol usually only once a day when the aches start.
Well, that explains why it's not working for you. You really need to take 1,000mg every 6 hrs routinely for the time being. But in the meantime, you also need to talk with your GP about that 'something' extra!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
@Josephine ... yes
@Celle ... all but the Tibial Tubercle Transfer which was my left knee. The Tkr done this past Sept was my right.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom