THR About a month<

Hi Josephine -

I've read your Activity Progression several times, which are a great guideline.

Following my lumpectomy, my task was to massage my scars. So it was not strange to me at all for my PT to massage it and get me started on it. I think her first touch was a bit heavy. Do you see a big difference between scars on the breast and armpit versus the anterior scar? I understand the massage is for the remodeling process.

I find the exercises easy and relaxing as they are about strengthening my quads and glutes, which helps with balance. And my balance is a preventative for falling. In the hospital , I began the
quad set
hamstring set
heel slide
glute set
hip abduction
knee extension
weight shift
chair squatThen when I began PT, we added the others. I pretty much laze out and do them, and then when I'm up and about remember to weight shift, balance, and chair squat. I keep them totally in my bounds. I baby my hip area and know that I'm protecting it by my strength and balance.

Since the beginning -- my experience with the numbing and swelling going down and the little light-colored bruises appearing.

It has really provided me a visual of my healing. My swollen calf down the side to my ankle was first. At two weeks when I visited my doctor, there was a procession from my knee down, so I asked him what the cause was. I wish I'd recorded his medical explanation about blood leaking into the tissues and gravity. Anyway, his explanation has made me comfortable as the healing moves up my thigh, the numbness and swelling fades, and the painful little bruises appear. And disappear.

Do you see a difference then between ice for an injury and ice for surgical swelling? I broke my ankle in June and so my hospital's suggestion of the RICE procedure of 20 minutes on/off seemed so consistent to me. I used to do the on/off for my hip all day and oftentimes at night.

I'm curious about your recommendation of taking 1,000mg Tylenol 2-3 times a day. I feel that when my pain is so minimal, why risk damaging my liver? Some pain is a natural part of healing.

Thanks so much!
 
Debru -

It's got to feel great to be at the point where you can help with the kids!

After classes this morning, I drove out to see my daughter and little granddaughter. We had the snowstorm last night, but the roads were good. And my classes were full, so it didn't hinder my students either.

I was a little nervous walking across the parking lot and did take my cane with me, just in case.

I read something recently about the barometric pain & hip replacement, and the author said that the reaction ended within two years. I was relieved that it wouldn't be a constant of the future!
 
Hi Mojo333 -

:heehee: I don't find that the hip feels much from those exercises. I like getting stronger. It makes me feel that I'm protecting my hip.

The weaker I am, the more clumsy I am, and the more clumsy, the greater the risk of falling. I was trained to do most of them in the hospital.

What did yours have you do?


Yowza! At six weeks from surgery? My hip muscles ache just reading that.
 
Hi DesertRat -

Yes, we really do! Mine was 7:30 a.m. How about you?

I remember that night before and early in the morning taking those sterilization showers and drinking the two bottles of apple juice. When we drove to the hospital, it was still dark and the lighted Daz Bog sign at the west end of the hospital totally threw me off.

I did take my cane with me to campus this morning just in case there was ice. Fortunately the maintenance people tend to do their jobs well and aim to clear up everything. But I will take it again tomorrow. Better to have it than to wish I did!

I talked to my cousin who lives in Mesa a couple weeks or so ago, and she said it was kind of cold then.

My work is pretty sedentary, sitting at the computer grading papers. Even in class, I'm often sitting. But I am totally feeling my energy return. I have some creative projects, and I thought I'd get them done during the first month. But too exhausted and unmotivated, so I did nothing creative. I love feeling my energy restoring.

Of course we will go to the march next year -- the 100th anniversary of having the vote!

I did really enjoy Dead Like Me! I've never been to Seattle, and that was an enjoyable part of it, too -- seeing that city. I'll have to watch a few episodes again, now that I'm more wide awake. :hugzz:
 
Hi Hippielife - Everyone was out today in the city despite the snowstorm. When I headed out, I first met a neighbor in the elevator who was on her way to pilates, and coming in from the garage was clearly a woman coming back from either pilates or another workout. Of course, it was far worse elsewhere. I-70 was closed from Aurora to Limon, and the southbound lane of I-25 was closed from Pueblo to New Mexico. And drivers were advised to stay away from Castle Rock to Monument, and many places in the mountains required chains. Blizzard.

Neat that you're loving the Northwest!
 
:hi:You know your body better than anyone else...so if it isn't causing you any distress, you certainly know best.
I had some PT early on..that was definitely not helping.
Only made me sore and swelling worse.
I dropped it and did walking only and have my poor legs a chance to heal..and then after about 9 weeks, did some targeted gait training and stretching.
I iced whenever sitting..:ice: as much as I could. I feel it really helped as much as any pain meds.

Hope today is a Good Day!
 
Hi Mojo 333

That's too bad about your PT.

I agree -- ice works so well.

Did you ever try arnica on your legs? I use it on my shin, and it helps. Another pain-relieving salve I found is comfrey. Both also help with the bruising. I learned that the blood thinners can have to do with causing the bruising. I took my last aspirin last night, but fish oil is on the blood thinning list, and I do take that most every day.

My PT on Monday had me walk up and down a flight of stairs a few times. I haven't done it at home yet though.
 
I had good luck with a CBD topical as well as a couple of others I ordered on Amazon prior to my surgery. Did a trial of 5 different ones and found 2, plus the CBD one that offered good pain relief. I have not used them on/near my incision since surgery, but have used them on my knee, outer thigh, and back area since then.

I think walking and stair climbing really are helpful when getting back in shape---lots of muscle groups used. How many flights of steps do you have to get to your apartment?
 
Was curious when people can sleep on operative side after surgery? My right side is still painful and my left shoulder is getting sore from always sleeping on non operative side. Any tips on how to find a solution? I am not really a back sleeper but try as often as possible. Also does massage help or hurt?
 
@Redhawk2 I'm 6 weeks out and just the last few days have been comfortable sleeping on my operative side for a while. I sleep okay on my back if I'm propped up on a couple of pillows - you might try that or maybe even a wedge - but I usually have to change positions after a few hours however I'm sleeping. I see you had surgery a couple of days after me.
 
Hello ely... so nice to hear from you. You are in good spirits and out driving after some huge blizzards in co., thats a good thing. You are so brave to get out on the co roads in severe winters. Nice to know that they are well groomed for drivers. I always worried about the other driver on the road always somebody going to fast. I remember many blizzards on hwy 25 to co springs causing white out conditions and closures. One winter a truck hauling molasses turned over and spilled molasses all over the hwy near castle rock. What a mess. On days with severe blizzards I stay home. Keep warm and by summer you’ll be back to your new Normal. :yay:

Sending lots of healing angles your way.
 
Do you see a big difference between scars on the breast and armpit versus the anterior scar?
Not really, apart from the skin in the upper torso is much, much more delicate than that around the hip which is tougher.
I understand the massage is for the remodeling process.
News to me!
I find the exercises easy and relaxing as they are about strengthening my quads and glutes, which helps with balance. And my balance is a preventative for falling. In the hospital , I began the quad set, hamstring set, heel slide, glute set, hip abduction, knee extension, weight shift
chair squat. Then when I began PT, we added the others.
My experience is this

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I've never found any evidence to refute this. Rather people have done much better without.
Do you see a difference then between ice for an injury and ice for surgical swelling?
Of course! Post-trauma swelling isn't anywhere near as intense as the post-surgical swelling.
I'm curious about your recommendation of taking 1,000mg Tylenol 2-3 times a day. I feel that when my pain is so minimal, why risk damaging my liver?
I find it interesting that you Americans are so phobic about acetaminophen as it's one of the safest pain meds out there! The only proviso is that you don't exceed the maximum per 24hrs of 4,000mgs. This is 4 doses of 1,000mg so if you only take 2 or 3 per day, then it's a very safe dose. It only becomes a threat to the liver if you take more than 4,000mg per 24hrs on a regular basis.

One other thing, the FDA stated some time ago that they were changing the 'safe ' daily total to 3,000mg but this was out of an excess of safety in case people should fail to take into account things like cold remedies or mixture drugs which also had acetaminophen in them and take it into account. No other country does this!

The main objection I have to the American style of usage is that the regular Tylenol is only 325mg and only one tends to be take at a time. An effective dose is actually 1,000mg which is the normal dose in the UK and most other countries. Why you all would deprive yourselves of the best and least dangerous drug on the market is a mystery to me!
 
Mine was 7:30 a.m. How about you?
Mine was supposed to be at 11am, they called the day before and said it was moved to 1pm. At one I was in pre-op waiting for an OR to open up so I could get my spinal, and they didn't give it to me until 3pm! The hospital was overbooked that day. It was so late I was afraid I wouldn't get to walk the same day but the hospital PT, bless his heart, stayed around until 9pm to see everyone, so I did get to walk.

@Josephine Wow, did not know that about the tylenol - good to know! I'm going to read up on that. I had the impression that it is harder on the liver than other nsaids. 500mg was working pretty well for me. Haven't needed it much though.
 
@Redhawk2--I have heard so many different answers to your question about sleeping on the operative side. My surgeon basically said as soon as I was comfortable doing it. I believe I started by 4 weeks, and by 8 weeks was doing it pretty much without thinking about it. I agree that if you can't shift around, that shoulder you are always lying on really gets stiff and sore. Initially I did put ice up against it if I was "practicing" on my side while resting, and that helped too.
 
Hi Debru4 - It is 60 steps up to my place.

Thanks, Hippielife. It's supposed to snow later on tonight. We need the moisture. Fortunately my drives are on main streets if I want, which means I can count on them being cleared and melted. Except for my street and my short cruise through the park. Ha, I don't remember the molasses spill.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a few steps! Do you have a good landing in between each level to rest your leg if you decide to take the steps? I assume you are using an elevator now? Once you are able, those steps will be a wonderful workout:)
 
Hi Josephine -

I was told that the collagen cells can clump up when scarring. I remember my lymph node scar at first had a hard spot.

Many of my exercises are isometric. For example, the quad set is tightening the muscles in the thigh for a few seconds. It is like exercising the kegel muscle, which then helps to better support the pelvic floor. (I add that to my routine actually.)

Some are for flexibility. For example, the abduction is just moving the leg out to the side and back while lying on your back. You don't ever move it out any more than what is comfortable.

The chair squat can help build arm muscles, too, if you want to push up from the chair arms. It gets the glutes stronger and thighs stronger, and they support the hip by helping to enhance stabilization.

Standing on one foot increases the sense of balance. The bridge is pretty low. Just lift a bit, hold, and come down.

Never are you to go beyond what you feel comfortable with.

I do a lot of stretching also, and now I'm lifting my little weights.

I personally am not really into taking painkillers if I don't have much pain, but I'm grateful for them if I do. Now that I'm done with the aspirin, I can take ibuprofen, which can reduce swelling and knock out any pain at the same time. But now I'm well beyond the point I was with pain before the surgery.

I'll remember your dosage if one day I'm hurting again!

Hi Debru4 - I'm on the fifth floor. Yes, there's a landing on each turn down to the next flight. Before the surgery, I did them unless I was carrying much. The door to the stairs is across the hall from me, and every time I go out, my first thought is taking the stairs. But I go down the hall to the elevators. I know I will start soon! It's feeling more normal every day.

After the broken ankle this summer, the first stairs I tried were a small flight of maybe 8 in the Botanic Gardens. I haven't gone over there yet because of the weather. I think the stairs that are on the frightening side are the ones to the swimming pool. They're the open type. :loll:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
6½ weeks! Had my first full-night, no-waking sleep last night!

I meet with my doctor on Tuesday. I'll be sure to compliment him for my incision -- scar is looking so good. There will be an xray so we'll know what it looks like from the inside. And the measurement. My PT at 4 weeks said there was a centimeter difference. But my doctor believes from the radiology that they are the same. I've noticed that the arch on my foot has now gone down a bit, and while I can still feel the difference in length, it is better.

My partially paralyzed left eye does throw me off so that I don't see double; therefore, it's harder for me to tell if my standing is equal, or if I've done a lateral pelvic tilt adjustment to accommodate eyesight as well as the necrosis. I'm sure with the necrosis, I have been favoring my leg, which could have thrown off my pelvis.

One of the PT exercises this week involved stepping onto a stepper with op-leg right foot and then stretching down left foot to floor. I think it is called the hip hitch. My legs actually feel more equal afterward -- at least for a few minutes!

Life is feeling more normal every day.

(I have the 6-month follow-up mammo re August lumpectomy in a couple weeks. May I have entered the Healthy Universe!)
 
A full night of uninterrupted is certainly moving towards normal, awesome news!!:sleeep:
From what I've read here the length can feel a bit off for several months and may just be perception. As you say your pelvis has likely been affected by the pre-op hip and will take a bit to find it's new normal.

I will definitely be watching for the party invitations when your mammo comes back clear and will be all decked out for the occasion!!!
:loveshwr: :cheers:
 
:happydance:great update!
All the best for your followup!
A healthy happy new year is what you deserve.
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom