Guest viewing is limited

abnormal lab results after ltkr

Thank you @Celle. I ask these questions because I think my pt did something to my knee. I stopped going to pt now and tomorrow will make one week of not going.

I do 5 heel slides a few times daily and a 10 min recumbent bike ride twice a day, and a stair stretch twice a day, and my swelling is still painful.

I ice every hour. I'm taking tramadol every 5-6 hours with Tylenol but sometimes I can only make it 4 hours because of pain. sometimes pain still wakes me at night.

Tomorrow is 11 weeks post op and Next Friday is my 12 week OS appt. When I saw OS at 6 weeks rom Was 107 rom now 5 weeks later only 110. It's been 110 ever since pt was aggressive.

This seems like too slow of a progression 3 degrees in 5 weeks, do u think so?
 
I agree with you, that the aggressive PT has slowed down your progress.

Would you consider stopping all exercise for about 3 weeks, and just letting daily life be your exercise? I think you need to do that, to give your knee a chance to heal a bit more and get rid of some more swelling.

You're icing every hour, but how long for? You need to ice for at least 45 minutes for it to do any good. Elevate your leg at the same time.
 
I ice 45 min most times sometimes only 30. I am curious what Os will say about what happened with pt and how progress stopped. not sure if it's necessary for him to take an X-ray or not. and, I have no problem with no exercise stretches but my bike has no resistance and helps me not be stiff.
 
P.s. I don't work so I have very little activity except light housework and grocery shopping. I have 2 teenager boys that help vacuum mop and with big grocery shops.
 
yesterday I logged into my orthopedic website to confirm an upcoming appt and found blood tests that were taken 11 days after my tkr. The results show 5 abnormal numbers. Can tkr mess with these numbers? can someone look at these and make sense of them? Should I bother to call my general practice as a follow up? Os office probably filed them away without noticing, or maybe they did and it means nothing.


Blood test results taken 9 weeks ago when 2 weeks postop

Erythrocytes sedimentation rate was 47 h normal range 0-35
Protein total was. 6.1 l. Normal range is 6.5-8.2
Albumin was 3.6. Normal range 3.9-4.9
Alanine Transaminase (alt) was 50 Normal range 0-40
C reactive protein (crop) quant 4.3 hwas. Normal range 0.0-0.8

Can anyone tell me if this is common for blood to change results after surgery? admin please change header soI can see if anyone else had this happen please. Change to abnormal lab results after ltkr
 
It's not unusual for post-op blood results to change temporarily. If they never changed, why bother taking the tests?
The results usually settle back to normal.

My post-op sodium levels were too low for several days and I had daily blood tests until about day 4, when the levels became normal again.

I don't think you need to worry about those results, but I'll ask @Josephine .
 
The surgery is a major trauma to your system. It is quite possible for your normal blood readings to go a bit "wonky" afterwards. If you're worried about it, give your GP a call and discuss it. Usually it's a good idea to see your GP at about the 12 week mark anyway just to update them on your recovery. You could request new blood work then.
 
hello everyone, I just love this site because I can come back from an appointment with my surgeon and u all understand the emotions thru a tkr and get it, where family and friends don't. I had my 12 week checkup with my surgeon and I'm happy to report he said everything looked good! I feared he would say I needed a MUA since his goal for my ROM was 120 and I hadn't reached it. He was happy with my 110 bend and my 0 extension and believes the other 10 degrees will come with time. I haven't been to outside pt for 2 1/2 weeks now and was able to call when I got home to say that I have been officially discharged from pt after doing it 3x weekly for almost 10 weeks.
I've been icing after shopping or realize I've been up and about around the house quite a bit. I take 2 tramadol during the day and 2 before bed and still wake up after 5-6 hrs at night and take one which totals about 5 in a 24 hr period. My goal is to only take them at night by 4 months if I can. Forgot to discuss meds with OS so not sure how long he will allow refills.
I did have a sleepless night last night and couldn't pinpoint why, felt like pain on outside of knee behind it.
I have never regretted my tkr even when my swelling was getting me down and ruling my life. I appreciate this site as a place to come and ask and share. Dear admin can u change header please -- 12 week OS appointment update. Thank u!
 
Your ROM is great for 3 months! I'm so glad your OS was pleased with your results and released you from PT. You are well on the road to complete healing! Keep up the good work.
 
I'm glad your appointment went well. 110 at 3 months is good. Since ROM can continue to improve for at least a year, you have every chance of continuing to improve. No need to rush.

Most surgeons won't consider a MUA once your flexion is past 90 degrees, so I don't think you had any need to worry.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom