abnormal lab results after ltkr

There are plateaus in recovery and sometimes even some steps backwards. Try not to worry about it but do watch your activity and exercise. Usually that is the culprit...you've increased either one or both a bit too much too quickly. Try cutting back a bit and icing your knee a good bit of the time. Remember the ROM is there, it's just being masked by internal swelling. It doesn't take much fluid in the small knee compartment to have an impact.
 
he holds knee and gently rocks it back and forth, heel slides, quad sets a towel under knee, bike for 10 min, climb one step lift other leg up.
 
I went to pt 3 times this week after only going one time the two previous weeks, well that didn't help increase my rom. Been at 110 for 3 weeks now. I'm more swollen and irritated then I was. Frustrated. Admin please change header topic to - Same rom for 3 wks - almost 10 wks postop. thank u.
 
What's wrong with 110 at 10 weeks. I think that's just fine. Increasing your pt is increasing your inflammation which in turn increases your swelling. You can't bend a swollen knee much. I suggest you stop pt, ice and rest for at least a month. You won't lose ROM, you'll gain it. Many of us didn't do pt, just used our knees in our every day lives. It works, I and many more know!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am 15 weeks PO and had them after my TKA and will still occasionally have them. Any time I have surgery, my thyroid levels are off for quite awhile. I am on thyroid medication. That was my first symptom was night sweats. After surgery I had them checked due to the sweats and mine needed increasing again. Might have them check your thyroid.
 
@sistersinhim. pt guy pushes the fact at 10 wks i should be at 120 rom. so that's what i'm going on when i say I'm frustrated is he leads me to believe I am behind
 
The thing to do is stop listening to that therapist and letting him put you on a guilt trip. There is no magic time schedule to obtain a particular number! Your ROM is just fine and you'll gain more when the swelling decreases. Obviously more exercises made things worse, so stop them and let your knee rest a bit. Sistersinhim is correct that your normal daily activity at this point should be adequate movement to keep things flexible. Be sure you're icing and elevating your knee too. The ice really does work wonders for swelling.
 
You can gain ROM for up to a year. There is no deadline or cut off for what number you should have at a certain point. Due to my complications my OS said he'd be happy if I got to 90, but the last time I was measured (3 years ago) I was at 115, then 18 months after that measurement I realized I could squat in the water.
 
P/T seems to have a tendency to push us, I found what they wanted and expected I couldn't achieve in their time frame. It is very frustrating, painful, and depressing. Think you will find your success again and begin to move forward again at some point if you just give yourself time. I was at one point going for p/t 3x a wk also, I didn't achieve any large gains in my ROM during that time, once I cut back, and became happy with myself and where I was currently in my recovery process. I had some issues and had to give up p/t and really it was one of the better moves in my recovery process.
 
I'm cancelling appts and don't know if I will return if I do it will only be once a week like previous. Thank u for advice. You ladies are the best and I'm grateful for this forum.
 
Cancelling your PT sessions for now is a good idea. Try not to get too hung up on numbers for your ROM but look at what you are able to do this month compared to what you were able to do last month.
 
I think you'll find that you will be very happy with your decision. But, please remember, this recovery takes time. I'm still healing and still have some uncomfortable days after overdoing. This surgery will definitely teach you patience!
 
I think 115 is excellent. I am at 115 and happy with that. No one will take that away as before surgery I was at 110 for over 12 yrs. I find that a PT that uses massage gets better results than hands off PT. It hurts so good when she is rubbing out knots and adhesion to help my knee heal.
 
I agree about the massage. Great results.
 
I think 115 is excellent. I am at 115 and happy with that. No one will take that away as before surgery I was at 110 for over 12 yrs.
It does seem to take longer if you've had poor ROM before surgery. All those soft tissues are not used to more ROM. Don't know if that was the case for you @J.A. Hag
 
I've used ScarAway strips for a different incision and while I can't attribute the great scarring to that (i.e., some is hereditary) my scars look great!
 
can anyone tell me if it's possible for the pt person to press too hard and mess up your new knee in some way? Also, if they have u doing things like stairs and wall squats before 12 weeks can that cause damage besides the swelling from overdoing?
I appreciate any help in knowing the answers.

Moderator please change topic to - questions about physical therapists. Thank you
 
Oh yeah, pt can harm you. They harmed me in '83 when I had my first lateral release and scope. My first day in the hospital after the surgery, they took me to pt in the hospital. She was inexperienced in rehabbing a knee after my kind of surgery and caused me to bleed inside and from my incision. That set me way back in my recovery. I have never taken pt after knee surgery since then. You don't need to take pt. Your body will know what to do. Just use your knee as you can. Get plenty of rest. Elevate and ice all the time you are sitting or laying down and you'll do just fine. There are other stories on here about pt harming a person. There are lots of personal experiences on this site. Just take the time to read them. The BoneSmart way is the best way!
 
I will change your thread title for you. Let us know when you would like it changed again.

I don't think your PT therapist can damage the implant itself, but he/she can cause soft tissue damage by being too rough.
We have had several people on here who suffered tears to muscles or ligaments. This set back their recovery, because they had to wait for additional healing.

Doing squats and stairs one leg at a time too early in recovery will slow down your recovery. It can also cause long-term inflammation and, at worst, chronic inflammation. None of this is likely to damage the implant, but they will all cause additional pain and delays in recovery,

Have a look at this article:
PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom