THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

now that I can do more and forget my limitations until hurting later: I get concerned I'm ruining my hip replacement by overdoing things

This is what helped me -
I used it as a guideline, following it loosely, and the only time I really overdid it (short-lived) was the day I wore circles in my carpet practicing the cane the first time. :groan:My own fault!
Happy Sunday! I hope it’s a peaceful one.

That makes a fun mental picture of the carpet and the cane!

The guidelines you sent are helpful. A lot of this came up because the PT and OT keep saying not to turn my operated leg to the side and I don't know I'm doing this. Also, the OT said it was okay to bend over to pick things up and i think I did too much.
 
It's a big day!:wowspring:Last week, I was very nervous when the OT was here and didn't want to try the very steep steps into the garage. Today, I made the bed without using the walker (just supporting myself on the mattress), took the sheets to the washer (in the garage) then went down and up the garage steps 5x, went outside without the walker using environmental supports, and emptied the dryer. I asked her to make a video so I could remember it when feeling discouraged.

The OT reminded me when it hurts later to not go down the spiral of thinking it means not to do those things. It means to pace myself.

I'm feeling overwhelmed, in a good way. It's a lot of work for me to stay present for success as well as the struggles. A good kind of work. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
What a wonderful update! Such a feeling of accomplishment, I’m guessing. I’m happy for you as I sense your elation. :happydance:
The OT reminded me when it hurts later to not go down the spiral of thinking it means not to do those things. It means to pace myself.
I like this advice and feel assured you’ll measure out activity carefully.
Happy Wednesday!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
With any luck, all is going well. We haven’t heard from you in awhile.
Would love to read an update as time allows. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wishing you a nice Thanksgiving! :wave:
@Abacus
 
Back
Top Bottom