Guest viewing is limited

THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

I forgot to ask if you celebrated being down to steri strips? Celebrations are important as we heal.
 
I certainly want to help you celebrate.:egypdance:
This is tough stuff.
Because there are collective experiences, doesn't make it easier individually.
The good news, is that there are collectve commiserations, and better days ahead.
Keep the faith, friend
 
I'm glad this site is here for information and support... and times when my mind is pondering questions when I want to sleep.

I had a handyman come look at the front steps to porch to install a grab bar there after the home PT suggested it. I can't use the steps without a spotter per PT as getting down them involves using a cane and walker combo... although I could use them in emergency.

The handyman suggested attaching a wood board to studs beneath the wall and the grab bar to that as the grab bars ends won't align with studs. I don't want to use anchors into the wall as that doesn't seem like it would hold the weight if falling. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

The OT came yesterday for the first time. What a joy! She helped me come up with an improvement to my cat litter scooping set up by sitting in a rolling chair when scooping rather than standing. I have a long litter scoop and a small bag hanging from the vacuum cleaner and take it out daily to a large bag on the porch. (Another reason I want a grab bar by steps- so I could take it out to the trash bin myself). The scoop was difficult to maneuver while standing.

The OT put it really well, that the first 12 weeks after surgery are the time to build a cocoon around my new hip as the muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones heal, and that this is a time to protect and nurture that cocoon. She gave me good feedback on my use of toilet and shower chair and general movement. I think the OT help will make a difference.

Friends and help... My friend left Saturday after being here about 2 weeks. Mixed feelings, as it was definitely helpful yet also emotionally tiring as she often left things in my travel paths and left things unfinished- and trying to explain these priorities to her each time this happened and she had what looked like a wounded face... and things didn't change. She texted saying she wants to come back to help and the thought of more attempts to make myself clear to her leaves me feeling tired. It's easier to either do it myself or adjust my expectations of what I do and how I do it than repeat myself to no avail. I feel sad thinking about this as she doesn't seem aware of what was problematic about things that occurred and it took much of my energy during the last four days she was here addressing both situations and her feelings. In teacher speak, the awareness didn't generalize from one situation to another (ie don't leave stuff on the floor blocking doorways) and it was a lot of work.

I'm looking forward to being able to use the stairs on my own and move more freely. Many good beginnings. Perhaps some endings too.
 
@Abacus oh dear. I think you have enough recovery "baggage". You certainly don't need any emotional "baggage". Frankly I can't fathom leaving anything on the floor around someone who is recovering from joint replacement.

Your OT sounds like a gem! They are so helpful at identifying ways to keep doing the practical activities yourself.
 
Hello and Happy Thursday :wave:
I’m sorry that I don’t have any advice on the railing you’re contemplating. Hopefully someone comes along to share their knowledge on the subject.

Your PT sounds wonderful. Great news as sometimes the patient / PT relationship is strained at best given the state of fatigue, vulnerability and sensitivity we‘re in early on. She gave you some good advice. I’m guessing she’ll be easy to work with, taking cues from your level of comfort and ability to engage.

If you’re okay alone, on your own, don‘t stress and feel sad over your friends lack of understanding that she wasn't doing things the way you preferred. Consider telling her that you’re feeling comfortably capable on your own and don’t want to burden her further. Thank her for her generosity and care and consider treating her to a lunch or dinner once you’re feeling up to it as a show of appreciation.
@Abacus
 
What great and practical suggestions from your OT. Some people are just more in tune and intuitive about putting themselves in others shoes. I have my best friend (funny, she’s in CA, too) who has been helping someone post op knee. She’s not medical but went through a shoulder surgery. This lady who just wanted someone to walk her dog wound up with much more help and healing advice than any family member who stopped by. She just has the knack without being pushy. I want her to come help me next time! Lol.
This surgery comes with some interesting and sometimes unexpected emotional and perspective journeys. It was great to be part of this forum to be able to share with people who understand and can support from their unique experiences. Blessings for continued healing on the road back to renewed life and independence.
 
This surgery comes with some interesting and sometimes unexpected emotional and perspective journeys. It was great to be part of this forum to be able to share with people who understand and can support from their unique experiences. Blessings for continued healing on the road back to renewed life and independence.

I've been thinking lately about all the new perspectives I have as of today, and it's the first day of Week 4 since the surgery. Every surgery spurs some reflection and emotional/physical adjustments for me- I think this one is really stretching my capacity. I made a timeline yesterday to orient myself and it's hard to believe it's just been 3 weeks.

Thanks for the blessings @Hip4life . :wave:
 
Anytime. I keep a journal and I kept a timeline and reflections from the THR. It’s always humbling to go back and review what we have endured and grown through our experiences. I do think it helps us work through all that goes with each one and gives us insights on the bigger picture. I’m glad your sharing with us, as it helps us grow as well. I’ll continue to enjoy following you on your journey.
 
I found the enforced downtime to be helpful for ruminations and examinations of my life. All good things can come out from recovery as we get a pain free joint and additional clarity. Have a great day.
 
I find it helpful to write lists of what I've done each day and this forum thread feels safe to journal and reflect.

My list for Tuesday 10/13 included: -iced my hip -asked questions and -felt my feelings. This last is a big one, the spikes and surges get bigger if I ignore them or push myself too hard.

Today so far I have seen the OT and asked questions about specific activities to find the edges and horizons. I was able to vacuum the scattered litter on the floor by the cat box sitting in a chair and using the vacuum extension wand. Yay! I also called the health care company who provided the walker and got my number on their do-not-call list as they were calling daily wanting payment. I arranged with them to send me a bill so I can have a copy for myself. Peace!

I feel like a teenager physically and emotionally, navigating all this stuff.
 
Time feels both compressed and slowed down since covid-19 and especially since my surgery and Jessica dying suddenly. Her ashes came in the mail today and it's almost incomprehensible that a box is all that's left of her. Also untrue. I miss her so much. I'm grieving over her and in a way over the hip I was born with, over the way things keep changing so suddenly and slowly.
 
@Abacus sending you positive vibes in what I know is a very difficult time. I had to say goodbye to my Jerry cat 2 days after my RTHR. Recovery is an emotional time. But add the grief of loss - you have my sympathy my friend.

You have way more than just a box. The good memories of Jessica will soon replace the pain of losing her. Take care!
 
I’m sorry you’re feeling sad. Sending a hug.
Through experience I understand the loss of a pet and what an adjustment it is. I also grieved the loss of my natural hip and had a quiet little cry over it as I fell asleep on the eve of my surgery, then also again when I first saw my bandaged wound, alone in the bathroom hours after my surgery.

While sad, rest assured it‘s short lived. Once you truly accept there is no going back, you move forward. I found it hard to believe the day would come that my new hip wasn’t in the forefront of my mind. The day came. The stronger you feel and the more you’re able to engage in the things you love, the less you entertain those thoughts. Your hip was no longer serving you well and thankfully we had the option of THR giving us our lives back as opposed to hobbling around in pain, or finding it necessary to be in a wheelchair. A sad existence...robbed of fully living. You have a second chance!

Here’s to you, steadier, stronger and better everyday. Brighter days are on the way. :SUNsmile:
@Abacus
 
:console2:I have pictures of my past furry family around as well as their ashes and they bring good memories for me. I remember my Winston (cat) sleeping next to me and it makes me smile even though still a little sad and it has been over 10yrs. They are always a part of us.

It is funny, I miss my original parts at the same time as I am grateful at the option I had to replace them so I could enjoy life again. It has been 7yrs for my knees and now I do not think of them as "other parts" and am often amazed and thrown for a minute when I see them on x-rays and they are not my original bone. I am hoping for the same feeling with my latest hip. I know it will come.

I think Covid brings a lot of different feelings to us as some of us are isolating more and have less activities with large groups and more time to think. I try to be grateful for being healthy and nature around me to enjoy as well as my furry friend.
 
I'm grateful for seeing a friend this week I haven't seen since we were both 9! I am also now cleared to use the front house stairs with my cane/walker combo method. Freedom and joy. :happydance:

Okay; here's my burning question now that I can do more and forget my limitations until hurting later: I get concerned I'm ruining my hip replacement by overdoing things. Now that friends aren't staying over, there's more to do and I don't always know until later that I overdid it. Most online information is on posterior not anterior approach so not always helpful.
 
Last edited:
:console2:I have pictures of my past furry family around as well as their ashes and they bring good memories for me. I remember my Winston (cat) sleeping next to me and it makes me smile even though still a little sad and it has been over 10yrs. They are always a part of us.

It is funny, I miss my original parts at the same time as I am grateful at the option I had to replace them so I could enjoy life again.

I look forward to this perspective on Jessica and the new hip. Thank you, it's a comfort to hear you've been where I am.
 
I get concerned I'm ruining my hip replacement by overdoing things.
Your hip will tell you when you have done too much. But unless you are running marathons or bench pressing excessively there is not much chance of ruining your replaced hip. These implants are very tough and are now lasting 30+ years.

The trick is to ease into any new activity. And I used to plan one day of activity followed by a rest day. You will find the rest days get shorter and shorter as you heal.
 
now that I can do more and forget my limitations until hurting later: I get concerned I'm ruining my hip replacement by overdoing things

This is what helped me -
I used it as a guideline, following it loosely, and the only time I really overdid it (short-lived) was the day I wore circles in my carpet practicing the cane the first time. :groan:My own fault!
Happy Sunday! I hope it’s a peaceful one.
 
Back
Top Bottom