Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR A thank-you and an introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
as someone who is quite anxious about an upcoming BTHR, your post-op experiences and feelings throughout the process have helped me a lot - so i may be in the wrong intended place, (as i'm sure others are) but thanks for all the guidance -
 
Hey, Newly I made it, I am without hip pain. Checking in to be sure you aren't out there jogging yet, LOL...
 
@cr8tvt , the first link is quite old and the others are the opinion of one OS who prefers the Mini-Posterior approach. There are many websites with OSes stating their preference and supporting reasons why but these will often be biased towards the approach they are most comfortable using. Here is an article that has been kept up to date (2014) which does a good job explaining the differences between the approaches: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2000333-technique#aw2aab6b4b1aa

As many people (and you) have pointed out, the experience of the OS is what determines the best outcome for any approach. For people who are forced to go back to work as soon as possible, the approaches that have a more rapid short-term recovery may be preferable.
 
Hey, Newly I made it, I am without hip pain. Checking in to be sure you aren't out there jogging yet, LOL...

Glad to see you back here! I was taking a bit of a hiatus actually yesterday and getting discharged from home PT and nursing care! Every day is a step closer to dunking that basketball one more time ;-)
 
WOW, that doesn't look like a mini! OUCH! Hey NewlyHip, BTHR it is really something else. I, like you wanted them both done and over with, one bad, one worse.......knew I would chicken out if I did just one. Took 2 weeks on the walker then that was it, recliner did not work for me. I am tall and I just never got that height thing worked out. Trust me about over doing it, I did and had the Piriformis Muscle act up and was truly as pain in the butt for about 6 weeks. The only thing that bothers me is "trying" to bed over, that aches, and initial stiffness upon rising and those first 5-6 staggering steps. Can't sit for too long and can't stand for too long. Looking forward to seeing myself a year from now. Good luck and stay off the mower for a while, my husband won't let me on ours still, I hate it.
 
@NewlyHip - I think you should login every time for editing and deleting etc. I can't delete or edit ONLY IF I'm not logged in.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@allahere, Thanks! For some reason even when I am logged on I have the ability only to edit/delete some but not other posts. I am awaiting some sort of answer from the tech folks. Just a bit unsettling when I don't have control over my own posts.
 
@NewlyHip - hmm, I'd not like that either. I just didn't run into such problems so far. Did you send a direct PM to the tech people? Who are the tech people here? I know that the admin (and probably techs too) "disappear" from this forum sometimes, for days. When I tried to contact Jo privately, she was out at the conference and didn't answer 4 days. And eventually she did...

I'd not like to lose you here totally: you're a great source of all kind of valuable info and simply a nice person :) Stay with us...
 
@allahere, Thanks so much for the kind words! I realize this site is run by a few dedicated folks who do the best they can and so I am trying to be a bit more patient.
 
Hey Newly, I am having a rough day 6 waking to a really big 'hangover' I guess, too many pills, not enough rest, ice, etc. Just wanted to say hello my friend...
 
Hey GaRose, I joined the 'twohip club' on Monday, so how are you? Always appreciate hearing from you...
 
@waterman1, Just try to relax today and keep thinking positive thoughts! Only day 6 my friend. I think I actually felt worse on day 6 than on day 2, so I believe you could be at the toughest point in the recovery journey right about now. Let's connect when you’re feeling a bit better!
 
Swelling of the hips is continuing to decrease (photo taken post-surgery day 17). I love the female figure — just not on me!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] A thank-you and an introduction
    Screen shot 2014-06-28 at 3.57.24 PM.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 264
Yep, I am bored to death from laying in bed with elevation and ice for hours it seems. Yes, Day 6 I am in a fog and the leg feels like a log...
 
the leg feels like a log...

i know exactly what you mean about the log-leg thing. In that first week I would turn to get off my bed and the first leg would just drop off the bed. I had to be careful to turn with the dropping leg to avoid a sharp pain in my hip area. It should strengthen very quickly though and in a day or two you should feel a noticeable change for the better!
 
I can't imagine having both hips done at once, you be careful. My left hip, replaced on April 9, remains strong and painfree as it supports the recovery of hip 2 now. We all expect too much too soon, there inlies the problem...
 
@allahere I read your post about leg length issue. My surgeon left my left leg slightly longer too. Said it would tighten up when the cut muscles shortened etc. How long ago was your surgery is there any change? I look like a drunk orangutan when I walk with my crutch. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@waterman1..........Two hips still having issues, but it was 2 hips so my OS says. The first 2 weeks were the worse, so day 6 should still be crappy.....I never had the "log-leg" that so many talked about, I felt my legs for sure. I will just be happy when enough time has passed that I can forget all about having my hips replaced. Went out with the family this evening and did several hours up walking, standing around, very hot outside too, I could not wait to get home and get off my legs.......You will do great now that you have 2 new hips, take care.
 
Did two high school graduation parties yesterday and I must admit that bilateral hip arthroplasty does have a tendency to reduce your social stamina; I was exhausted when I got home even though I basically just chatted with folks all evening. It was a bit of a challenge to maintain the hip precautions at these parties while sitting so I found myself standing up a lot, probably too much. Thankfully, with all the soccer buzz going on in this summer, I was able to explain my T.E.D. stocking fashion statement as my World-Cup look!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom