Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR A thank-you and an introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I never had to wear the TEDs either, I felt so left out from everyone......no log leg, no TEDS, I guess I was just the odd ball out. At our outing last night I must have been asked by 20+ people about my hips and folks trying to make things easier for me. I just told folks that I was okay, my hips were too hard to please, they required a higher seating arrangement. I can not do low seated rockers, swings or canvas folding chairs. I knew IF I could manage to get my fanny down to that level it would take another person to help me up! Just stood and swayed as standing still was just too uncomfortable. I just hate that my energy level is still not up to par, want to be myself so I can just blend in with the crowd once more. I am still drained at the end of my work day and domestic goddess duties. Hard to hang............
 
@cr8tvt .......my opinion on the surgery is sometimes too much information is just frightening. It is good to do your research and be comfortable with your OS, but some folks can just worry themselves to death over the smallest things. Your date is coming quickly, just don't dwell on the date or what is going to be done, just focus on the reward once you have new hips.

I'm not sugar coating it, my experience was a toughie, but I knew I had to do both at once or I would remain in pain for a long time. I still have moments of "what was I thinking", but I do not have that awful pain that had me in tears and crying out at night when I tossed and turned. You will be fine, depending on your meds, from what I hear the first couple of weeks are a dazed time of icing, elevating and sleep, I didn't have that luxury.

Just remember, good days and bad, it is reality, TIME and REST have become my priorities. I didn't set any goals as I would have been disappointed in myself and this thing can be depressing enough at times. Stupid roller coaster of emotions! Take care, in less then a week you will be a true HIPPIE!
 
@NewlyHip, just curious, did your OS have you bank one or two units of your own blood, anticipating you might need a transfusion? You have me interested now in doing both hips at once. Both docs I saw wanted to do one after the other. But I am extremely anxious about surgery, so just getting it over in one shot seems appealing.
I was also wondering, with two hips healing, would I have enough strength to get around at all? But you seem to be doing fine.

@cr8tvt, did you see or consider seeing any OS docs in NJ? Or go straight to HSS? I have an appt. to see a doc at HSS later this month, but the logistics seem a little challenging to get there for appts. and stitches out, etc. from NJ.
 
@Zebra, My surgeon did not want me to do an autologous blood donation prior to surgery. Not completely sure about what his thinking is but studies have shown that patients are more likely to be anemic after surgery if they donate blood beforehand.

Here is a link to an article dealing with a study that concluded that autologous blood donations are not generally necessary and may actually increase the risk of needing a transfusion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2821500/

I must say that, for me personally, having both hips done at once was the best way to go. My hips were both so bad that if I had only had one hip done, I would not have had a healthy leg to help me with rehab. My surgeon was very comfortable doing this procedure also, and indeed has done many such bilateral surgeries.

Some online sources have mentioned that many surgeons are not too willing to do the more-strenuous and time-consuming bilateral procedure. I have also heard that it is less lucrative to roll both hips into one procedure; i.e., the insurance companies are less likely with the bilateral surgery to compensate surgeons at a rate these physicians find acceptable.

There are also real medical reasons not to do a bilateral procedure, which is a much bigger hit to the human body. My surgeon told me he would not have done the surgery if I’d been in my 70s because he would not have wanted my body to bear the trauma of the operation at that age.

I think if you are medically able to handle the surgery you would be able to handle the recovery! Good luck!
 
@NewlyHip ....I agree with your comments, I too never banked blood, left the hospital with a within range hemoglobin. Also, like you both at once seemed to make more sense. One hospital stay, one time under, same PT time and recoup. You leave the hospital walking regardless of having one or two done.

I think it depends on the patient and the condition of the hips. My OS said I would just be using a damaged hip, which would just be destroyed sooner. I am glad I did both at once and got it over with. I don't think I would have the nerve to do it all over again several months later.......kind of like giving birth, you need time to forget about what you went through before you are ready to do it again!

My OS had done over 1000 hips, anterior is his specialty, highly recommended, he is the one who said we would do both at same time, never crossed my mind.......WOW, was blown away. He did not spend more than 2 hours on me in the OR and I was done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Because I am 5'2 and under 100 pounds I needed blood. Less body , less fluid blood to lose! I was told also not to donate. I ended up getting a transfusion. I was worried about that but it turned out to be nothing and greatly improved my recovery in matter of minutes after getting . I probably would have in hindsight had my 21 year old son donate before as he us same type and offered to do it just in case.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Twenty days post-surgery. Off Coumadin and Percocet, and starting to get stronger and less robotic in my movements. This is a short video of me climbing the not-too-few stairs in my 19th-century Victorian house:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Look at newlyhip go! I am not sure which way is best. But here I am, First hip April 9, then I literally drug around a painful hip for what, sixty more days until June 23 for hip 2. The only thing I like about separate surgeries is my first hip healed and gave me a good strong hip to rely on for the second surgery. Otherwise, a seventy or eighty days of hip surgeries and recovery has taken all my patience to get through...
 
@waterman1, you and I are certainly kindred spirits regarding the waiting game that is such a part of hip surgery. Even though things are going relatively well for me, I still just want it all over yesterday!

The most ironic thing about my recovery is that my biggest pain issue is with my arthritic right ankle (old basketball stuff coming back to haunt me). Every time I walk, this ankle is in a pain range of 5-7 with each step I take. Certainly the ankle issue can’t be helping me return to a normal walking gait.

I’m thinking of getting some sort of ankle brace to see if that might lessen the pain while walking. I recall you saying your bad ankle had actually fused, which I assume lessens the pain.
 
Yes Newly the ole right ankle. How many times did our basketball coach say, "Oh just walk off that sprain son. Tie up your laces tight, and the team needs you to finish this game!" Bring back any memories? I went through a very painful time about five years ago with the ankle, where I could not walk far without the ankle burning. Went to the ankle doc, who said my ankly was amazingly fusing itself together where the cartilage was gone, a bony substance was taking its' place. Now that my arthritis pain is gone from my hips, the ankle is not hurting yet. If you go see the ankle doc, he will probably want to fuse it with a surgery or two. If you can stand the pain, yours is probably fusing together like mine. Ice the ankle often and avoid the surgeon is my advice from what happened to me...
 
Love the video, @NewlyHip ! You are looking very good! Took me a while longer than 20 days post-op to do stairs that easily.
 
@waterman1, thanks for the suggestions. For some reason I have not even thought about icing the ankle. Will look into doing that after my next walk!
 
What a show off! You better be careful, you can easily over do it and not even realize it until it is too late. Just a heads up. I know once they finish cleaning my knee out I will be doing stairs like that once again. Take care!
 
That's right GaRose, tell him he better cool it a while longer. Hoping you are getting back to yourself as well...
 
@NewlyHip, just curious, did your OS have you bank one or two units of your own blood, anticipating you might need a transfusion? You have me interested now in doing both hips at once. Both docs I saw wanted to do one after the other. But I am extremely anxious about surgery, so just getting it over in one shot seems appealing.
I was also wondering, with two hips healing, would I have enough strength to get around at all? But you seem to be doing fine.

@cr8tvt, did you see or consider seeing any OS docs in NJ? Or go straight to HSS? I have an appt. to see a doc at HSS later this month, but the logistics seem a little challenging to get there for appts. and stitches out, etc. from NJ.

@Zebra, i'm sure there are great drs in NJ. i saw someone about 2 yrs ago who told me i'd need new hips within a yr or 2 and he was right. i figured i'm only doing this once (and not that willingly, but i hate the idea of eventually crawling around) - - luckily HSS accepts my insurance, so i went to HSS. yes, the logistics suck, especially when you have a 9am apptment and it takes 3 hrs instead of 1 to get in. and the parking situation is ridiculous. however, i was only in once for the xrays and consult, once for the preadmission testing and tomorrow i'm in for a BTHR - then i'm not back for 6 weeks (god willing). so for me, the peace of mind is worth it. and i can't wait to be on the other side - hard to believe that in about 24 hrs i'll have new hips. @NewlyHip and @GaRosehippy are my heroes - you really need people who have experienced this to give you the strength to "choose" to do this.

can't wait to get on a bike. gave it up a few years ago due to limited range of motion. thanks everyone -
 
i have a question about BMs. if we have the 90 flexion limit for 6 weeks or more, how do you find bathrooms?
do you go out to restaurants? visit other people?
what if you just "gotta go"?
do you limit your trips out to an hour or 2? less?
do you just hold it?
may sound funny, but this is a serious question -

i'd be afraid to relax the rule in an emergency after all this hard work, so i'd be afraid of leaving home -

thanks in advance for any responses - i may not see them for a few days - (;-)) (bthr tomorrow)
 
Go @cr8tvt ! All the best tomorrow! Then, you can create your very own recovery thread so we can cheer you on!

I waited about 3 weeks before venturing out to public facilities; then, using handicapped toilet because it had
a grab bar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom