Bilateral THR A thank-you and an introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi , you didn't have the 90 degree restriction because of anterior, correct? Those with that restriction may have to wait 4-6 weeks depending on what their doctor says.

@cr8tvt Thinking of you and sending you positive healing energy. You will get through this just fine! I was nervous about my 2nd one even though I had been there 5 weeks ago, but once they give you all the pre-meds and then the happy juice, it is over in the blink of an eye. I saw a lot of the same nurses and PT people so it was kind of reassuring. We'll be watching for your recovery thread!
 
Go @cr8tvt Then, you can create your very own recovery thread so we can cheer you on!

Best of luck to you @cr8vt!

As a friendly suggestion, and I certainly have no problem with you using my thread to post questions, it would be to your own advantage to start your own thread after the surgery. This way folks can go right to YOU to see how you are doing. As it stands now the only way people know what you are up to is if they happen to search through my thread.

Be well and keep us posted!
 
As a word of caution to others on this medication, I am beginning to think it was not the best of decisions to go off Pecocet without tapering the dose. For the past couple of days I have had a lingering nausea coupled with chills and a general malaise. Here is some info. from the Mayo Clinic site:

If you have been using this medicine [oxycodone] regularly for several weeks or longer, do not change your dose or suddenly stop using it without checking with your doctor. Your doctor may want you to gradually reduce the amount you are using before stopping it completely. This may help prevent worsening of your condition and reduce the possibility of withdrawal symptoms, such as abdominal or stomach cramps, anxiety, fever, irritability, nausea, restlessness, runny nose, sweating, tremors, or trouble with sleeping.
 
Hey there Newly, how are you feeling today? My hips are feeling rock solid now. Getting ready for a little one on one with you on the indoor hardwood floor court. Better start practicing...
 
@NewlyHip Mark, you are very right about the need to taper the pain meds.
I tapered, but not enough......
I had one night of the most impossible chilling where no number of comforters and coats laid on top of
me could quench the chills. (It was psychological or sensation based; not real......) Ugh.
Then, I felt a mild flu like blahs for about 3 more days.

If I need to do the second hip I will taper for about 10 days rather than 5.
 
HGetting ready for a little one on one with you on the indoor hardwood floor court.

@waterman1,Doing pretty good except for the minor Percocet withdrawal stuff. Would love to do the one-on-one thing! In fact I see the surgeon next Tuesday and I'm going to see if he was able to add back that inch-and-a-half in height I've lost over the past 40 years! Maybe I could touch the touch the net!

Hope you are feeling well. Have a good 4th!
 
Same here, was six three once upon a time, not now. That's funny, touch the net LOL...
 
As a word of caution to others on this medication, I am beginning to think it was not the best of decisions to go off Pecocet without tapering the dose. For the past couple of days I have had a lingering nausea coupled with chills and a general malaise. Here is some info. from the Mayo Clinic site:

If you have been using this medicine [oxycodone] regularly for several weeks or longer, do not change your dose or suddenly stop using it without checking with your doctor. Your doctor may want you to gradually reduce the amount you are using before stopping it completely. This may help prevent worsening of your condition and reduce the possibility of withdrawal symptoms, such as abdominal or stomach cramps, anxiety, fever, irritability, nausea, restlessness, runny nose, sweating, tremors, or trouble with sleeping.

How long were you on the Percocet? I did not ask for a refill of Percocet, and went over to Hydrocordone after 11 days and now think it was too soon?
 
@LoyalD, I was on Percocet for 20 days before stopping it. Hope all goes well with the switch to the new med.
 
hi - i'd like to star a new thread so i can stop horning in on this one, but can't find the "start a new thread button".
any help would be appreciated.

btw - had the blhr on thurs evening at HSS (~5:30-8:30) so it's about 48 hrs since the procedure - and i'm going home tomorrow - that's just insane. can't say i'm pain free (achy around my hips and lower back and the toughest thing by far is getting in and out of bed), but i'm walking with walker, climbing stairs, getting on the toilet (just gas so far) on very little oxycodone (once today before PT this morning - other pain meds include tramadol and extra strength tylenol) biggest achy spot is my tail bone from sitting on this bed - standing up is a relief - (how amazing is that?)
can't believe i'm going home 3rd day after surgery (my wife's more nervous than i am . . . (;-))
thanks everybody - i'm lying on my back with my legs spread comfortably wider than they've been in years . . .
 
That is absolutely awesome!! (Your first video of walking). I have an older and extremely conservative surgeon, so 11 days out, although I feel I could possibly do that, I'm only allowed toe touch weight bearing, unfortunately, and with absolutely no pain, am champing at the bit to move on. See him Tues..maybe then. I've always been something of a gym rat and was doing Body Pump classes up to surgery day, which surely helped. You tho, are incredible. Thanks for posting your video. I'm tempted to show it to my Doc, but would rather not risk his wrath!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Beachmusic, Hello and thank you for the kind words! I hope you progress smoothly in your recovery.

It seems surgeons are a quite a diverse lot as to approaches, both to surgery and recovery. My surgeon is a 40-something ex-college-athlete who takes the position that, after surgery, you are not sick but simply a healthy person with a bit of added hardware! He just warned me to be somewhat prudent with what I take on every day.

Be well my friend!
 
Got the X-ray today. Remarkable what can be done to keep us humans rolling along!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] A thank-you and an introduction
    Hips X-ray.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 228
@cr8tvt Congrats on your BTHR! You need your own thread so we can wish you well.
You really need to do that for yourself..... AND, how are you doing now at home????

@NewlyHip Great pic of new bionics!
Isn't technology amazing?!
 
We all have that common thread and bonding over these gizmo(s). Newly has a perfectly matched set and leg lengths look great. After my THR, it took five weeks to get the swelling out of my foot. How are you doing with the feet, they should be getting better now I hope...
 
@waterman1, hello my friend. Hope you are recovering well!

As for my swelling issues, they have pretty much subsided with a little ankle swelling now and then. I am driving and doing almost everything else I did before the surgery with a few minor restrictions. Couldn’t be much happier with the outcome!

Met with the surgeon yesterday and he cleared me to use free weights — without overdoing it. The only thing that is really on hold exercise-wise is running. I am supposed to wait about 5 to 6 months for the bone to really grow into the prostheses.
 
Hey Newly, yep I got some clearance yesterday, feeling pretty good. I can walk with a cane, and I'm so proud. Clearances: Basketball - 6 months. Tennis - 6 months. Jog - 6 Months. Freediving - 3 weeks. Bike - 3 weeks. Surfing - Never again :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom