THR A new world..there better be coffee

@Supersonic I have found the “cold” temperature of 68 F (20 C) in my home, makes my hands feel like ice, as I got into my 50s. I found a paper thin Smartwool under shirt helps me and my hands feel warmer. I just ordered an LLBean thin lower body thermal type legging too.
I am sure you can find such things in the UK, too. I find keeping my whole body warmer is another strategy to combat aches and pains, in cooler temperatures. maybe It will help with damp weather, too? When I was younger I could easily keep the house at 65 in the cooler seasons with just a sweater.
 
I guess you should not come see me!
House at 68 day 62 at night!
It has not yet been cold a lot. High of 50 is pleasant lows around 25 degrees outside
I do get chilled at my daughters house
She keeps the heat maximum 58
 
Well, a hint of sunshine is peeking through the clouds this morning, @mainegirl1, so I may try to walk to a neighborhood event this afternoon rather than driving. It's just about a 15 minute walk if I do it briskly so nowhere near the miles you seem to be doing daily (!!) but it is something. Feeling grumpy and sore today, and need an "attitude adjustment" of some sort. But you keep up the good fight! Happy Thursday!
 
@mainegirl1 During the day, the south side windows bring my house to 72, without any fossil fuel. I will strive to get down to 65 during the day, and 62 at night.
You and your daughter are doing a great job using less carbon.
I have woolen socks and sweaters, and cowl necks I have knitted to help me get there.
At 58 F I think my nose would need a mitten!
@Barbaraj Yes, it’s a great day for a walk and some fresh air. Hoping you feel better soon.
 
Me too!

65-68° day and 62° night. Sometimes even lower at night in the winter. With a cracked window. The day varies because my husband likes it warmer than I do.
 
Oh we use fossil fuel. We have an oil furnace.
Its new and high efficiency. For many years we toted wood we cut in but at 8 cords a year.. we are too old to haul it up 20 feet vertically so now the wood stove is only sporadically used
Temps are mild now but come Nov will stay below freezing to minus 40 until April
April Fools Day recently has twice had a high of zero
 
Oh, gee whiz! Minus forty! That is the temperature when I stopped skiing in my younger days, all bundled up. Yikes!
Yes, I installed a high efficiency burner, too. Fortunately its only a few steps to get into my one story house.
Black locust grows all around me, and it burns like anthracite coal, it is so dense. And it grows so fast the first ten years.
I have seen these thermal mass heaters used in Europe, which use very little wood, take 24 hours to heat up, but hold the heat a very long time. Also, very little ash is left and very little soot cones out of the chimney. in my dreams, I would love to put one in my ranch.
I would have thought about a soap stone wood stove, but with these hips, I dare not haul any wood on a regular basis.
 
And its fine maybe even a great idea to use some of these aids now. They can be useful preoop
Wrong thread sorry
 
Last edited:
Oh dear -40 is so cold, never gets much below minus where l live. It's hard to keep muscles moving smoothly at the best of times nevermind when they're still not fully recovered. My hip seems to get sore at night no matter what l do in the day.
I hope to get on my bike next week that always gets my heart pumping. Again it's not imperative.
I did get in and out a dry bath, so maybe thats why my hip feels a little tight. Guess that's just something l need to get used to until it goes.
 
I used to heat with wood many moons ago and as much as I like a wood stove for heat and cooking am very glad to have heat that I do not have to feed and chop and drag. We put in a geothermal system for heat and solar panels for electricity to keep our costs steady for our retirement and a benefit of almost no carbon footprint. I love it. I actually like to sleep cold - about 60 but have to admit that sitting around downstairs I like 72. It is our present to ourselves for our old age so we do not have to bundle up at home.
 
Happy Saturday, @mainegirl1
Sounds like you're in the cold and dark at an early time these days. Winter is definitely on its way. It seems with the start of November things move into full swing for the holidays that will be here before we know it! I noticed while driving yesterday how it's feeling gray outdoors already. The leaves are really falling and it felt dreary and overcast as most November days do around here. It's a rude awakening for sure. We go from the warm days of sunshine and blue skies with flowers in bloom everywhere to drab and gray. An adjustment of sorts. Now with the clocks changing the days will be even shorter.
Oh well, I'll learn to maximize the daylight hours as I do every year.

At only two and a half months post op you seem to be doing really well.
Hopefully you have a sunny one on tap for today with pleasant enough temps.
Have a good one!
 
Very nice day today! Went swimming for 45 min yesterday.
The hip is just fine with that! I did water walking too.
but oboy my shoulders and pecs are screaming
Its been waay too long for them since I swam.
Pushing up off the sofa has never been an issue so I was a bit surprised!
Today is a heavy day of yardwork
All the leaves are down save beeches which are annoying and hang onto leaves all winter
Tree branches down. All manageable.
Pine cones! I should wholesale to Michael's!
No snow quite here yet its at the 3000 foot line. Will be Thurs. So happy I can walk with confidence on it now!

We did invest in a whole house generator some years ago so being without power is t an issue
What can be is the lack of Internet. Then we have to drive 20 miles to the library as they get theirs back before we do.
20 years ago I never would have said that : who needed computers?
 
@mainegirl1 How wonderful to go swimming indoors! How wonderful you can do all that work outdoors. It’s so encouraging to hear.
I agree, being without computers these days is no fun, if a storm takes out the cable, too.
 
@mainegirl1 How wonderful to go swimming indoors! How wonderful you can do all that work outdoors. It’s so encouraging to hear.
I agree, being without computers these days is no fun, if a storm takes out the cable, too.
And soon you too will be able to enjoy all that you want to do with out limitations!@VslowLife I see water in your future next summer.
 
The really best part is my replaced knee was never quite right and always low life achedThe improvement in its ROM is very nice and each day it complains less as its new hip partner is WAY easier to get along with.
Those bones and their partnerships.. if one goes awry the company falls apart.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom