THR A new world..there better be coffee

@mainegirl1 I think you have the best approach to building strength while still in recovery. You’re basically doing cross training. With canoeing (getting in and out of the canoe), walking on uneven terrain (hiking), biking, and even with cooking (moving side to side and carrying things), etc., you’ve slowly but surely gotten back your strength and mobility. You were strong before all this surgery happened and you’re getting it back.

I have no interest in working out in a gym. I find it incredibly boring even with distractions like podcasts or music. Plus I’ve found that, at least for me, those repetitive movements don’t correspond to real life strength. If I want to walk 10 miles, let’s say on a trip, I need to walk 10 miles outside somewhere and not do it on a treadmill.

At my last post op my OS said no PT for 6 weeks, only walking, and then see me again and I’ll say no PT for 6 weeks. I asked what about cardio and he said just walk faster. :heehee:
 
My OS kicked me out at the six week appointment. "See ya in a year"
he said.
But also said to call if there was ever an issue.
I went to bed darn early. Tired
But woke up a little stiff and after going to the bath all was fine and non achy
So no ODIC admission
Today bike or swim?
@ceezee I used to have a gym
membership but my motivation to drive there 30 min each way and then doing repetitive things while watching a little TV flagged quickly
I am one of those who needs to be outdoors or almost
The pool has lots of big windows and you can watch it snow in warmth
 
The closest I get to doing repetitive athletic things is swimming in a pool. That puts me in a zen mode and is very soothing. The pool by me unfortunately is totally inside with no windows. Yours sounds wonderful.

I’m hoping that at my next appointment with the OS in two weeks he does the same thing and let’s me go for a year. At that time it’ll be one month since I was allowed to walk again but three months since the surgery on that second hip. I lost two months but that’s the way it goes sometime. Nearly 5 months since surgery on the first hip.

I do have this beautiful fall weather, my favorite season. The light turns magical.
 
Wow, that dinner looks fabulous, @mainegirl. Even I wasn't feeling very overstuffed from a weekend away, eating big meals every day, I'd be sending away for a cookbook, too. But sound like it was a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience. And, good grief, a rough two mile hike would tire out MOST OF US, so I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Yeah, you're definitely a Maine Supergirl, but you'll get it all back at some point, of that I'm sure. Have a good week.
 
Today was hiking among the color before the wind deposits it all on the ground. Not much distance but working on balance on rocks. I do use trekking poles. My head is the most troublesome.. The fear of losing balance.. The hip can handle all sorts of odd angles without complaint.

I must watch more ole timey films of the old log drivers who balanced on floating moving logs and work on my confidence. Did lots of steps today deliberately. I feel the strength coming back slowly. These were about four hundred stone stairs of various angles and heights.

If only I could get up with out removing all the skis post fall I would for sure be at the ski area many days this winter. But so embarrassing to get up!
 
Wind is up.. 300,000 people in the state have no power. We have a generator as do a lot of rural folks. It will be a while before everyone is back on. Tree damage. Getting around requires creativity and actually a paper map or local knowledge.
 
Good Morning and a Happy Thursday to you :wave:
Stay safe. We don't want you to blow down the road like a tumbleweed.
Sounds like a snow day....or a blow day :heehee:
Good day to stay indoors and whip up one of your yummy meals. Hope you have a good one.
@mainegirl1
 
Wow, that is a lot of folks to lose power, @mainegirl1 But sounds like it must happen often enough, or at least the threat is great enough, that having a back-up generator is essential. If you head outside for some exercise, be mindful of that tree debris--sounds like a minefield out there almost! Happy Thursday!
 
And USPS delivered two packages to a rock by the street in front of our house 400 feet from the house
They had to drive by our mailbox to do this
We have lovely lockable large mailboxes
Off to the grocery store. It takes about three hours round trip
Time to go while in the eye of this storm. Its a big eye but the wind will return later
We are inland and did not get the 80 mph winds on the coast
There are more lesser winds coming
And next week a repeat.
Last night was achy and I wonder if it was due to the record low pressure
This is a cyclone but not tropical
 
Sounds like it's time to hunker down and batten the hatches.
You sound like you are control of the things that can be controlled.

And USPS delivered two packages to a rock by the street in front of our house 400 feet from the house
They had to drive by our mailbox to do this
:chinstroke:
 
:hi:
Hope the sun is shining and it's a brighter day! Less windy too.
Happy Friday, @mainegirl1
Have a great weekend!
 
So glad you have a generator. Seems essential everywhere these days.
 
Down to 100,000 and we do have power
A couple of years ago the entire state lost power for a time
The power company website that estimates restoration times got a bit of social
media backlash when they said restoration would be complete in 2068
It is clam chowder and homemade foccacia
@ceezee
And tomorrow the brined in rosemary and juniper berry brine pork chops from TLK cookbook

Thinking of all the people whose houses got mashed by old trees. Portland got hit hard
Fortunately its not horridly cold. In the 40's
 
Last edited:
Glad you're doing ok and have power. Saw a post on Facebook that a relative posted from the hospital parking lot where they work in Connecticut. Looked like the two cars that were parked there were sitting in a creek. Stay warm, dry and safe!
 
And tomorrow the brined in rosemary and juniper berry brine pork chops from TLK cookbook
I was going to try that first when I get back from vacation!
I promise to report if you like
The chops are brining. Juniper berries inexpensive on Amazon
The apple brandy a bit harder to source
@ceezee
 
A couple of great pork chops that came right from the farmer are sitting in the freezer. I have some juniper berries but they’re pretty old. I’ll have to check them out. If I didn’t drink or use it all cooking I’m sure I have some Calvados in the cupboard. My rosemary hopefully won’t get frost bit before I get back. I’m in pretty good shape!

Please do let me know how it turns out
 
@ceezee I too get all my pork from
a local
organic farmer
Expensive but tastes like the pork of my childhood!
My next experiment after the chops will be sous vide pork belly for tasty leaner fried rice
Havent you left yet? Have a wonderful time and enjoy the stay and all the new hip affords!
 
Expensive but tastes like the pork of my childhood!
Exactly!

I make the sous vide pork belly. To. Die. For.

The recipe I use is on seriouseats.com. Sous Vide Pork Belly Buns.....

if you’re interested in another incredible cookbook I suggest The Food Lab by Kenji López-Alt. It’s perfect to read and I’ve made tons of things from it.


Amazon product ASIN B00TG24C34
 
Wow, @mainegirl1, you are such a foodie! My lack of enthusiasm for cooking these days is pretty substantial, although I still (and will always) enjoy making desserts. I made some caramel sauce this afternoon, along with a pan of shortbread cookies--serving a cookie all smushed up with a scoop of decent vanilla ice cream and drizzled with warm caramel sauce is a fabulous way to end a meal, in my opinion. I am hopeless at entrée courses but clearly you enjoy it all! Have a good day and hope the cyclone weather clears soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom