THR A new world..there better be coffee

Happy Sunday, @mainegirl1. I hope yesterday's yard work didn't overly tax you, and this morning you are waking up and seeing a tidy landscape outside your window. My husband talked vaguely of doing some backyard clean-up but nothing got done and I'm hoping maybe sometime later this week he'll get out there and rake. I don't do anything once fall arrives, but come spring I intend to get out there and do some of the tidying and weeding that's basically been put on hold for the last two years while I've been dealing with hip nonsense. Cheers!
 
Tidy? @Barbaraj ?:heehee:
Just getting ready for this
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] A new world..there better be coffee
    909872A7-D166-410B-96A2-D50FF9B93C13.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 190
@ceezee Only the bottom left. The bottom right is hubbys workshop. The upstairs is accessible by captains ladder and the big canoes are up there. Easy to move them via the hayloft door.

So only 3/4 of the building is canoe and camping oriented.. There are bikes and skis in there too.:biking::kayak::snow plough:
 
Well, fascinating picture, @mainegirl1, but just another reminder that I could never embrace your lifestyle or living situation. Yes, it is beautiful but, wow, looks isolated and like a ton of work involved in daily living, especially in the winter. I am all admiration for you hearty souls! I can see why you want to get fit and strong as soon as possible as you must have to do a lot of physical labor to maintain your home and immediate landscape.
 
@Barbaraj
Very easy upkeep

No lawn. Forest no weeds really
Only wild plants will grow
Snow removal by plow
No need to really shovel anything but stairs
Bird feeder path and hot tub path too
Leaf removal by shoving in woods

No need to bag or mulch etc
Very low maintenance
we do not own a lawnmower
We do have a raised ten by ten garden for tomatoes

Because of the rocky rooty nature of ground trying to curate the soil is impossible
Plants in pots.
 
@Barbaraj And I look at that picture and see lots of fresh air and many out door sports (post two new hips). @mainegirl1 I think I would need a truck with a snow plow on the front, sitting in the garage.
 
@VSlowLife Cheaper to hire one
We have a contract for the season
Last year it was $375 and we required plowing some 15 times
Below 4 inches he does not plow

We dont have to wait . In 21 years we have never been snowed in


The town does a good job of sanding. Our area is filled with big hills (about 1000 feet elevation changes)
That picture was taken April 17 last year
 
Wow...I see that's a lot of snow for April 17th, being from the frozen tundra, myself. Bet it didn't last long. Well, maybe a bit longer living in the wooded area it appears you do. I understand why you don't get trick or treaters.

I hope you're doing well. Happy Tuesday, have a good one!
@mainegirl1
 
It is good that the world contains hearty and adventurous folks like you, @mainegirl1, who are not daunted by more rustic living situations and tackle life with gusto despite wonky hips and knees. I admire the beauty and stillness of where you live but, as I've noted before, I doubt I'd survive very long despite your insistence that it's not all "that much work". Ha, it still sounds like a lot to me and I'll stick with suburbia, I think. But I bet all those opportunities to walk, bike and hike on terrain both uneven and hilly have been overall a good thing as you progress with this hip recovery. You are a stronger and more determined woman than ever, so hurray for you--and happy Tuesday!
 
Not posting much. Life is pretty back to normal

I am grateful to my surgeon , his team and his approach to recovering sensibly with no formal PT but the expectation that the couch is not my friend either.

I have read so many times that in the US the PT seems to be more forceful. I have never run into that and wonder if there are scientific studies that have been done on outcomes with formal aggressive PT and guided PT without forcing and no PT.

Otherwise the anectdotes abound obviously.
 
I have never run into that and wonder if there are scientific studies that have been done on outcomes with formal aggressive PT and guided PT without forcing and no PT.
Interesting question that I’ve wondered about too. I only found a very small study between no PT, only walking, and tailored PT.
 
Mainegirl1 you have been so good at setting reasonable, physical goals, and consistently doing things to build yourself up. It’s amazing you are doing so well before the four month mark. Congratulations on reaching a pretty much back to normal life.
 
A tribute to your determination and grit, @mainegirl1, that you are almost back to normal by now and soon hip surgery will be a distant memory. Feeling like that way myself almost, and convinced that after the holidays I will be sashaying along with relative ease. Although you and I differed on whether to go with PT, it's worked out well for both of us. One thing I've learned from my hippy experiences is that differences abound between various folks and even hip recoveries on the same person. The motto should be "whatever works--go for it"! Cheers.
 
I did a measly number of steps today but been cooking eight hours. PT is very inconvenient here and at $45 a pop I cannot afford it. And the gym is about 15 miles in the other direction. If I had done your path @Barbaraj I would have spent some 20 more hours a week in the car.

So we went and bought a replacement hot tub.. So much for THAT thinking! Can I juggle the math the hot tub is 100 PT sessions !
 
The motto should be "whatever works--go for it"

Well, sadly many don't find out what works to "go for it" until they've discovered the hard way what doesn't work and are sidelined in pain, stalling their recovery. We advise and caution to take it slow and easy, allowing your body to be your guide, hopefully leading to gradual steady progress.

Sounds like you two are doing well and on your way back to living your lives. :happydance: Great job. Enjoy!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom