Guest viewing is limited

THR A new world..there better be coffee

Hi my hippie pal!:wave:
Glad you are working things out on the fly.
Closing down to one month post op and except for a bit of over rambunctiousness at times...:unsure:
I think you have done a tremendous job at listening to your body and getting this forever hip right.
Hope you have a great weekend...:tada:
 
@mainegirl1 I am your fellow side sleeper! I think I was trying it later than you did, though. But sleeping easily on my side by 3 to 4 weeks. Ironically I enjoy sleeping on my back but seems like I crave sleeping on my side since the hip surgery and hope to break the habit soon.
So you are off all walking aides? Woof! I'll say good for you, only if you aren't limping without their help. :chinstroke:
That's funny about your friends forgetting to ask about your hip and how you are feeling, we want to look and walk normal but then wonder why people don't remember... :loll:

Seriously, you are progressing right along.. good for you.. I hope you can snag a really nice, and good night's sleep!
 
Never really limped before or after
My gait was assessed at 11 days post op
Always done heel to toe so I am lucky
When I transitioned from cane to nothing I had to cut back a little on walking cause I really never engaged glutes on cane
They spoke up.
 
Interesting.. that your glutes coasted while on the cane.
My first hip wasn't as stubborn as this current one has been but my glutes on that side were non existent. This time my glutes engage just fine. Go figure.
You are well on your way! I hope you don't celebrate by signing up for an Ironman competition!
I'm going to sip my sleepy tea and hopefully snag another good nights sleep! The rain cooled off our temps and hoping to open the windows tonight and turn off the AC.
 
Last edited:
@CricketHip I thought long last night about gait on the cane.. I should have been sleeping. I don't do a full arm swing and hence don't get the power boost to extend the leg as much.. When I was using the cane and on my feet for two hours the Fit Bit said 0 steps.. It was on the cane arm. Also with the cane it aids hunching over.. very bad.. Yes you can retrain to stand up with the cane but the mechanics are still all off.
Prior to surgery I wasn't taking long strides as bony growths prevented that.

Now walking for distance I will still need trekking poles but the design allows some arm swing and push off and extension..
Frankly I wish I never had used the cane. Having four pairs of trekking poles I wonder why I did.

It was that last transition from aid to no aid that got those lazy muscles moving and squawking.. Now that they are used more they are becoming nicer at night though one tensed up AGAIN at 3 am and I had to work on Corpse Pose and breathing.( savasana). Then went back to sleep.. No meds.
 
You definitely sound like a trekking pole kind of gal! I have some walking sticks but I am still figuring out my grip on them.. love them when walking our dog over pastures and uneven ground.
Nothing like a 3 am muscle spasm to throw us into the corpse post ! Except I usually get out of bed and walk on the offending leg. I continue to take my magnesium and having no cramps now, thank goodness. Now watch me jinx myself! :yikes:
 
I am still figuring out my grip on them.
I agree that trekking poles/walking sticks are better for my posture and gait than a cane but I too have a hard time getting the grip right and have had some wrist pain on the left hand.

And 4 sets of trekking poles @mainegirl1!
 
The four pairs isnt surprising
One has metal points for winter
One is old with a finicky mechanism
One is rubber tipped for rock faces
One folds for air travel to fit in a carry on

For sure they arent for everyone and they are a pain to deal with when taking pictures but I just put my hand in the loop strap bottom up and try not to hold in a death grip

Magnesuim
might be a good thing to get
 
I use my hands so much for my work and am very aware that I’m gripping too hard on the sticks, but will keep figuring it out- I like them! Probably was trying too soon after surgery when still in pain. But also need to protect and rest my hands/arms on days off.
@mainegirl1 - here’s a great link about magnesium. My chiro Dr. sells a nice one and has always promoted it to me but I had no idea of it’s overall support for our systems.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/
 
Another vote here for magnesium. It really helped me with both restless legs and my hair.
 
I am a great fan of magnesium too. It has had a really dramatic effect on my sleep.
 
Good grief, who knew there were so many types of walking poles! I couldn't tell you what kind I used with my first hip, I just know it worked and it was a loaner from a friend. The height was adjustable which was nice as my friend is only 5' tall, and I'm 5' 8-1/2"! With so many different types of poles in your house, @mainegirl1, I'm guessing you'll have choices going forward.
 
You mention slip and slide. Leaf drop season is about a month away. I expect that even in northern climes where we have such a short summer there is an advantage in having a healed hip before the really slippery stuff starts.

I thought of you yesterday when I heard my 82 yr old mom slipped on muddy wet leaves and broke her ankle in the back of her home. I honestly never thought of leaves as a slipping hazard. She was alone and had to trudge uphill along the side of her home to get back to her unlocked front door. Her knee is horribly swollen and arthritic and she's way more concerned about that than her ankle. She also has two prosthetic hips that thankfully withstood the fall.
So please be careful out in the big bad world @mainegirl1 and enjoy the weekend! :wink:
 
I spent the morning checking out trekking poles on YouTube and decided to get me a pair. More fun than stationary bike I figure. I'm going to let Dad borrow them first to see if it would help him out with the injury to his back in July. He's an advite golfer and walker and this injury is a big downer for him. Take care!:walking:
 
We went to the county fair! Some walking and negotiating hoses in the cattle barn
No falls. I am not terribly afraid of falls. After 55 years of skiing I have done my share and do a good tuck and roll
I am not going to be imprisoned in my mind for six months of winter. Frost this week. We live and walk on ice covered roads all winter. There is little sanding and salting of them and what comes down in Nov gets compacted
and can still be found in April
Not a fan of pills but picked up some magnesium today.

No. pain at all today and four hours in the bleachers ok
Its very nice to rejoin the world and to be able to walk a distance with no back pain!

I have a fave mountain to climb but when leaves fall it is horridly slippery and ice crampons dont help
We will do our neighborhood trail
tomorrow. Yippee!
 
Lots of activity for this early out, @mainegirl1, but so encouraging to read the news about your fairly steady return to "real life". No pain yesterday despite all that walking and four hours spent in the bleachers must have been gratifying. Hope today's walk on the neighborhood trail provides fresh air, good exercise and a mood boost. It's raining outside my study window this morning so indoor exercise is indicated for me. I know I won't "melt" in the rain but I am not a fan of cold, wet weather for walking so it's off to the gym for me. Have a great Saturday!
 
Not really lots.. Walking to our mailbox is .7 miles. Being as we don't bet much paper mail, we do not go everyday. But I want to be in the woods! Its not too cold..yet.. It is 54 degrees perfect walking weather.. showers in the air.
We reserved movie tickets for Downton Abbey premiere next Fri.. Being able to do that is new to us but I don't want to drive the hour to the theater to find its all sold out.

The Queen is coming!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom