TKR A new knee for me!

Glad you are in good health Julie! No immediate plans due to the fact I am supposed to go see my grand kids in June. I am certain I will have to have it replaced as well. It is acting just like my surgical knee did before I had it done. A revision? What happened?? Although, I can see that these things can and do happen. My right leg feels so much better without that terrible bone on bone pain, yet it is clear these mechanical knees are just not like the real thing. At least I know I can survive surgery and I am no longer so frightened about the possibility of doing it all again. :)
 
It is such a relief to be rid of the bone pain and it sounds like you’ll be good and ready to visit your grandkids by June! :yes!: Knee replacements aren’t like natural knees, but they do start to feel more natural as time goes on, and still a heck of a lot better than the alternative. My left implant is loose and to be honest, it has never felt quite right. I have a new surgeon lined up who does a lot of revisions, so I feel like I’m in good hands — literally! So glad we've been able to reconnect, Stephanie!
 
Yes you are so right about the alternative. Great that you have a surgeon that does revisions, I do think the surgeon we choose is the most important thing. Even then things can still go wrong as surgeons are only human. The surgeon I chose is a revisionist as well and so far so good. :) Happy we have reconnected Julie and wishing you well with your surgery! :)
 
Hi Everyone!!! Stefny here. Just about 11 months out from my first knee replacement and just writing in to update. July 30th 2019, I had my other knee replaced. Just about seven weeks ago now. Unfortunately, this experience did not go as well as my first. The doctor came in to see me after surgery and told me that he screwed in the inplant too tight so he had to go back and loosen the screws and in doing so he then nicked a ligament which he had to repair. LOL I know....great news huh???? My whole family and I just quietly looked at him not knowing quite what to say. I know nobody is perfect and mistakes can and do happen but to me?????? LOL Any way, needless to say my recovery is not going as well as my first knee. I have what I think is nerve pain on the side of my knee which only seems to bother me when I am sitting down with my leg bent in a particular position, it hurts like hell though while it is acting up. It does seem to be calming down a bit and I am hoping it will magically disappear at some point. Additionally the back of my knee is very sore and has been since the day I came home. I know I am only seven weeks out and it is still early, it is just that my first knee was so easy and I had none of these problems. Yet I know, each knee is as they say different. I tend to think in the end it will all be ok just wondering if anyone has some advice for the pain behind the knee and or what I think is nerve pain on the side of my knee. I have not gone to physical therapy as whenever I did with my first knee l only came home and hurt for multiple days and did not go back as a result. I am icing the back of my knee and the side of my new knee. Hoping any of you that may remember me are doing well and enjoying life. I would love to hear from any or all of you!!! :) Stefny
 
Hi @Stefny - Welcome back to recovery again.
Yes, as you know, no two knees are the same and your left knee has a few, minor complications. It will take a little longer than your right knee did, but I'm sure it will get there in the end.

Have you tried icing the back of your knee? That often helps with pain there.
As for the nerve pain, perhaps your doctor would prescribe a course of Gabapentin, which often calms down the nerves that are upset.

Here's another copy of the recovery reading for you, so you don't have to keep flipping back to the start of your thread:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Greetings @Stefny. I'm so very sorry to hear that your second surgery had so many challenges. I can only imagine it's doubly upsetting after the first one went so well. You thought you knew what to expect!

I don't have any useful ideas, but I'll keep you company!
 
I’m so sorry this knee has had these issues. At least your doctor was honest with you.

I’m glad you’re not over stressing your knee with PT.

Best wishes for a great recovery, but maybe at a slower pace this time. :console2:
 
So glad your surgeon was honest with you so you at least know why you are having issues you didn't have before. Unfortunately, we can't change the past, so we have to just brush the dirt off and work on getting better. It may take a little longer but you have a positive attitude which is very important in the healing process. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing!
 
Thank you LindaO and Jockette!! It is good to hear input from others. :) Thank you!! In the end think I think it will be ok.
 
Last edited:
just wondering if anyone has some advice for the pain behind the knee
I had that awful pain behind my knee all the way down to the calf muscle. I iced it along with the front of my knee. It helped.
 
Hi @Stefny - I had my right TKR on 4/10/19 and my left TKR on 7/31/19 one day after you. My first knee was oh so painful but I was back to work at 5.5 weeks. This second knee however took a little stumble (tripped over rug when walker got hung up) when I was two weeks post op. I can say that set me back a couple of weeks. The flesh was very angry. At 7 weeks 3 days I am slowly on the mend. Still have some pain but it’s slowly getting better. I am going back to work Monday and I am so ready. All this to say, I feel your pain with knee #2!! And I thought knee one was bad. Hang in there! This too shall pass.
 
Hi All!! Eight weeks out now from my left knee replacement on July 30, 2019. Plugging a long. Feeling great when just walking, very little pain if any. My ongoing issue is pain behind the knee and bending my knee, additionally I get some seemingly what I think is nerve pain on the lateral side of my knee with the occasional cramping that extends down my knee. Actually, it is quite painful when it happens. At the very least I'm am thrilled walking upright (lol) that I have no pain. Still taking pain meds and find sleeping quite uncomfortable with bending my knee and cramping so as a result, I sleep in my recliner quite a bit which I am not a fan of. Wishing I could fast forward a couple of months and hoping this nerve pain or whatever it may be has gone. Wishing you all well! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom