TKR A new knee for me!

Thankfully, it is all getting better already. I had some really good days and then I went out with my son for a while and I over did it and really paid for it the following day. I did have the bone on bone pain for seven years and I totally researched this surgery before going forward. I just turned 70 and I knew it could not wait forever and I wanted to have some good years with my grandchildren. I do have some weight to loose which I am certain contributed to the problem. 12 hour nursing shifts is what pushed me over the edge. So very appreciative to those willing to share their stories and educating me so I can have a good result. :)
 
Hi @Stefny , I’m so glad to hear you’re making good progress, you’ve been through a lot. I too attribute long work days, in my case, retail work, and I also have weight to lose. Nine years ago I was told I was already at stage 4 osteoarthritis, bone on bone. Yet it takes so long for us to finally get the surgery.:sigh:
By the time we finally get the operation, theres so much damage for the body to repair.
But now it’s healing pain instead of further degeneration!
Sending you good vibes!
 
:) Thank you Mom2Lucy :) for the god vibes, I need them. Sending them right back to you as well! Very heart felt note :)
 
Same here for long retail hours on my feet most of my adult life. I owned my store for years before going to a national retailer. Until the knees did me in :sad:.

You're pretty new post op. It does get better if you make resting, icing, elevating your top priority for a while.
Feel better!
 
I had mine done Oct 31 what I thought was going to be a partial turned into a full replacement. Its easy to overdo it then the next day your knee tells you that wasn't a good idea but it does remind you that this is something that is going to take time to heal but it will be worth it and like you I’m looking forward to chasing my grandkids around
 
Hi All! Just updating my new knee experience. :) Just about six weeks out from knee replacement on Oct. 25. Doing pretty well. The first two to three weeks were challenging, but I am making some headway. I struggled with physical therapy as it was just too painful so I am not going anymore and doing some things at home at my own pace. This seems to be working. Only taking one hydrocodone daily, in addition to one motrin in the AM for inflammation. I also take some Neurontin in the evening, which I have been taking for about three years now as I need to limit or avoid nsaids altogether. I ice as necessary. Actually, I am quite surprised I am doing so well at this early date. Now my other knee is bothering me, which is not surprising and simply validates how well my replacement knee is doing. I do not want to mislead anyone. My new knee is not perfect....still some little aches and pains here and there but so so much better than that bone on bone pain I had before replacement. I do notice if I have an especially active day, I will tend to have more pain, in which case I will ice. I am overweight and I feel if I am able to loose some weight my knee will only improve further. Thinking about getting my other knee done, but still tend to want to wait a bit longer and continue to watch how I do with the new knee. Hoping everyone is enjoying the holiday season and wishing you all well. :):)
 
It sounds like you're having a very good recovery!
 
Stefny sounds like you are doing really well, I was also going to go to a physio but after reading how some folk on here have been in pain I have decided against it. Really hoping I don't need my other knee done for a few years at least they didn't say anything so hey ho fingers crossed it is fine.
 
That's a great report and pretty consistent with 6 weeks out. I need my right knee done, too. Can't bear to think of it :scaredycat:
Hang in there!
 
Hi all!!! Eight weeks out from right knee replacement surgery. Things are going quite well thankfully. I am walking quite well with very little pain with my right knee. I initially had started PT right after surgery however, I had to stop because it was very painful and I was going backwards. Additionally, my non surgical knee was hurting. I also had a sciatic type pain in my hip, leg, and groin. I was concerned that this was from the therapy and or limping so much prior to surgery. The good news is that all of that is gone since stopping PT. I am doing quite well except that my non surgical knee is hurting more an more and I think that it is almost a certainty that I will have to get that knee done as well. I am only taking one Norco a day at this point along with gabapentin I have been taking for years for nerve pain. So good so far!! Merry Christmas everyone!! Happy Holiday as well. :)
 
Last edited:
Hi @Stefny. Glad to hear you are doing well with your new equipment. When we are in such pain for so long our "good" parts take a beating. Hope your journey is uneventful the rest of the way. Take your time and listen to your knee.
 
Hi @Stefny
It's good to read that you're still making progress.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Did you lose your recovery thread?

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you all for your words of encouragement! Wishing you all a great holiday and New Year! :)
 
You are very welcome. We're here to help! Merry Christians and Happy New Year!
 
Hi Everyone! Just about 12 weeks out from my knee replacement. I am doing great, pain is really gone for the most part. Once in a while at night my knee cap aches a bit and I rub some aspirin cream on and I go right back to sleep. I am off all narcotics and I only take an occasional aspirin from time to time. Very little rehab, only about five sessions in all. I am doing fine, I am able to straighten my leg and doc says my bend (not sure of the term) is about 116. I think it is desirable for that number to be 120 however, I am convinced that in time I will get there. In my view just "living life" is all the therapy one needs. I would so encourage anyone that needs this surgery to go a head and have it you will not be sorry. I know everyone is different, but I have numerous health issues and I did fine. I would just suggest that you really spend some time in picking your doctor through referrals etc. The doctor you choose is in my view, your most important decision. :)
 
Experience is the best teacher and you have learned well what works for you! How great to hear from you!
 
Stefny, you had your TKR done! Happy to see you here and I hope you're recovery continues to go well. XO
 
Last edited:
Hi Julie! So very good to hear from you!! Yes, I finally had it done and I am doing quite well about 14 weeks out now. However, now my left knee is hurting quite a bit (not at all surprised) so I will have to get that knee done as well! How are you Julie and what about your knees??? :)
 
I’m so glad your new knee, and you, are doing well. Sorry about the pain in the left knee - that’s not fun. Do you have plans to have it replaced too? I’m in good health and getting ready to have a revision done on my left knee in April. Thank the stars for Bonesmart!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom