Revision TKR A New Day

I'm so sorry you're still having problems. I really hope the second opinion can find a reason and get it taken care of. I know how frustrating it is to keep having problems that the doctors can't figure out and/or fix, and I hope you soon get relief and a good solution.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
I hope you can get some answers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
@Jcx I hope Prof Deahan sorts out your knee and can give you some answers. This whole knee recovery is a mystery to me. While I have improved at 10 months post op, my knee is by no means completely healed. I also still can't bend it past 90 degrees but I'm coping with that and managing most of my activities of living, although getting up and down off the floor is a challenge. It still doesn't feel like mine and feels tight and stiff at times during the day but not really painful. Is it an improvement ? The jury is still out. Would I do the other one? Not at any time in the near future.
I've decided, I'm going back to weight training in the new year as I need to build up my leg strength.
I really hope you get some answers soon. Happy Christmas and lets hope 2024 will sort out all our new knees.
 
@Anniemof It certainly is a mystery and not everyone gets the answers they are looking for. Having a good day today but I know the tight band feeling will return tomorrow. Happy Xmas and hope you return to your weight training soon. Don't think I will be able to do my 11th North run next year. Take care jcx.
 
Did the surgeon show you on the X-ray why he said that your implant is loose?
 
He looked at the old xrays and scans and said they didn't show anything. But a physical examination confirmed it was loose. He also asked two other colleagues to examine it and they both came up with tha same diagnosis.
 
oh wow! Is your implant cement less?

I would be curious to see the comparative images. Is the loosening something that evolves over time or is it a function of different machines and image quality?

So sorry to hear this on one hand but might be the answer you were looking for.
 
As far as I know it was cement but the revision surgeon would not commit to why my implant is loose. In shock and lots to take in. Thanks
 
That IS a lot to take in.
I'm sorry you're facing the prospect of a revision.
 
I'm sorry you're having issues and need a revision. I ended up with a revision for what also turned out to be a loose implant. The doctor wasn't expecting that as there were no indications it was loose, other than a lot of pain. But when he went to start removing the old implant, before he did anything, it fell out into his hands, which meant that the cement had failed. Although the time leading up to the revision was no fun, and the recovery was also the pits; today I'm glad to have the problem resolved and an implant that's fully functional in the place of an implant that had failed. To this day, the new implant is functioning well, and causing no issues. (I do have other issues with my leg, due to my own crazy body, but the knee itself is great)

I know it's a daunting thought to realize you need a revision, but you're obviously having problems, and with several doctors confirming your implant is loose, that may be the best course of action. I remember it was a very difficult decision for me to make, but now, some years out from that, I'm glad I did it. A loose implant will never be right, and will more than likely continue to cause more problems. My knee was not only painful, but unsteady and continued to get worse over time.

It's a decision only you can make, but take my word for it, "just living with it" is not a good idea. You want the very best functional knee you can have, and if that means a revision is necessary, IMHO, that's a no-brainer. Is it an easy decision? Not in my experience. Was it the best decision? Yes, and I don't regret all I had to go through to get a painless knee that functions as it should. As I mentioned, I do have some leg issues that are a result of my own crazy body, and basically never happen, but even with the leg issues, I don't regret going through another surgery and recovery to get a knee that no longer hurts constantly and doesn't have other issues due to the cement failure.

I know you have a difficult decision ahead, but remember, we're here if you need us. Good luck and keep us updated!
 
Good Morning Jcx,
I am sorry and certainly understand the shock and disappointment you must be feeling.
Please know there are many successful revision stories here if you're interested in reading any. I understand that's cold comfort, but you're not alone, we'll be here for support through your entire journey, if a revision is your decision. I wish you comfort, clarity in making decisions and peace of mind with your decision.
Revision TKR
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
My new consultant gave me a month to think about having a revision because my implant was loose. I was in shock when he came that swift conclusion. I should have said yes there and then but I was a bit stuck for words. Also I should have asked him if I should continue physio or wrap my knee up in cotton wool until I have my revision. Any advice would be welcome because I feel I am in limbo.Take care jcx
 
Hearing you need surgery is always a shock to the system. Hearing you need a revision is another shock. It often takes some time to process the info, and make a decision.

I also had a loose implant-the cement had failed, so I had the needed revision. My knee hurt a lot before the revision; once I healed from the surgery, my knee pain was gone. I do have issues in my leg, but that's a result of my crazy body, and basically never happens. My knee itself is doing great, pain wise, and the implant is fine now.

I tried using a knee brace before my revision; all it did was cause more pain. Nothing worked until I had the revision, which was the right choice for me. It's never an easy decision, but in the end, you'll make the decision that works for you. If you can message your OS, that's a good way to ask your questions; if not you might consider making a consult appointment to ask your questions, now that you've had time to digest and mull over the diagnosis. Let us know what you decide, and please keep us updated.
 
Thanks @ lovetocookandsew. My mind is made up to have the revision as soon as possible. I will get in touch with my consultant and see what he advises in the interim. Not looking forward to the operation or the recovery. But it is my only option I can't go on the way I am. Take care jcx.
 
Preop, I'd say avoid things that cause pain, use your OTC pain meds regularly, rest as needed while doing activities that seem to be knee-friendly (which I know aren't many!) to be as fit as possible going into surgery.

It's good to have a clear decision and path forward. We will be here to support you on low days, answer questions, and celebrate every little milestone.
 
@Jcx I'm sorry to hear your news from the second opinion. It must have been such a shock, I'm not surprised you couldn't decide there and then. I'm sure the revision will be the right choice as you've had ongoing issues for a long time and these will not get better if the implant is loose. Keep us informed of your progress it helps us who have less than perfect new knees and may who have to seek second opinions in the future.
I'm a year post op now and still having issues with my knee, I can only bend it to about 90, if I push 100, it's tight, aches and some days feels ok ( I use the term ok loosely) and then on other days it just doesn't feel anyway near right. The bend I can manage with if it didn't feel as tight and uncomfortable, I've decided I'll wait until 2 years and if no better maybe seek a second opinion.
Good luck with your revision.
 
@Anniemof . Thanks for the reply and kind words. Revision is my way forward but thinking back I waited 2yrs . Should have asked for a second opinion sooner. Take care jcx.
 
17097330322938175079355178675409.jpg
Copy of my last letter off my consultant
Can anyone give some input I'm a bit confused Take care jcx
 
Posterior sag is the tibia moving back in space (away from the femur) during flexion.

According to what I've researched, it's a problem that can sometimes be associated with TKAs that left the posterior cruciate ligament in place.

From a research article on the USA's NIH site:
"A revision operation that focuses on balancing the flexion and extension spaces, in conjunction with a posterior stabilized knee implant, seems to be a reliable treatment for symptomatic flexion instability after posterior cruciate retaining total knee arthroplasty."
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom