Revision TKR A New Day

Thanks 2chains and Anniemof things have been tougher than I ever anticipated on this TKR journey. Today I received a date for my scan it's the 3rd May and hopefully then I will get some answers. My heart goes out to you both and anyone else who is on this journey. Take care Jcx.
 
A week into my ten days holiday in Spain. Some days I'm struggling with my knee it's been nearly one year and six months since my LTKR. Trying not to let my knee spoil our holiday. Had a scan before I went on holiday and have an appointment with my surgeon to discuss the results. Hopefully the result will be ok but the way I'm feeling something has to be wrong. Can't go on like this the rest of my life but don't no yet what the answer is. Going to have a walk along the sea front and going to dip my knee into the ocean. Take care Jcx.
.
 
It's good that you have an appointment with your doctor coming up to discuss your scan. I pray it's just something simple.
 
I hope you get some answers when you see your surgeon. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
 
Appointment with my surgeon for the results of my scan got cancelled yesterday. Because of the junior doctors strike. But surprisingly it has only been cancelled until next week.
 
Glad to hear it will only be a short delay to get results. Keep us posted!
 
Seen my surgeon yesterday for the results of my scan. It's been 1yr and 7mths since my LTKR. I was in his office for 45 mins. Everything he could see was fine. Leg straight and Stryker implant in place. Told him I was not happy and every day my knee feels different. One day tight band feeling the next feels like an alien is attached to my knee. He could not give an explanation why it was that way. He said that he had a 85% success rate that people who are happy with the knee replacement he did. I was at the moment in the 15% that were not. He does not want to discharge me and I would have to accept the prothesis for what it is. His door is open and he will discuss my progress or lack of it anytime. I'm going to give it until the two year mark and go back to see him or look for a second opinion. Take Care Jcx
 
I think you'd be much better off seeking a second opinion, preferably a revision specialist. They deal with problem knees that a regular OS doesn't know what to do with. It doesn't mean you'll need a revision, but will have a new set of eyes looking at your knee. He/she should be someone who isn't affiliated with your current OS at all, not even in the same area.
 
Hi sistersinhim point taken the os that I am under does revisions. His name is Mr O'Day Al Dadah based in the north east of England. Seeking out a revision specialist would be a good idea. But at the moment rightly or wrongly I'm willing to give it another five months. Thanks
 
@Jcx Just catching up on Bonesmart, I see you're going to hang fire with further treatment until your 2 years post op. If you're looking for a revision specialist in Newcastle apparently Prof Deehan at Freeman is very good, but has a long waiting list. So I've been told. He did my mother's knees, she had RA and had lots of problems, hence was referred to him through Rhuematology.
I think about 15 to 20 % disatisfaction/failure is a common percentage after knee replacement. My Consultant told me about 1 in 5 had problems across knee replacement surgery, at least he was honest.
I'm 51/2 months post op and still wish I'd never had this brutal op. It's hampered further by my fall and a fractured radius and a wack to the knee. ( resulting in soft tissue damage only ). I feel I've aged 20 years haha
I hope you improve in the coming months.
 
@Anniemof Thanks for the info on the surgeon at the Freeman I've been looking at surgeons in the Durham area. Got an appointment with my GP next week to discuss my options. I said I was going to wait until the two year mark but some days my resolve is weak. I had a good weekend swimming and walking and I don't feel too bad today. I just want my life back and not have to think about my knee every minute of the day. Thanks again jcx.
 
Haven't posted for a while having good days and bad. Its nearly two years since my ltkr. The question I would like to ask is the last time I spoke to my surgeon he said that he gives everyone a new knee cap when he carries out a tkr. Is this normal procedure or is it something only done by certain surgeons. Take care jcx
 
Last edited:
I think it depends on the damage your patella has. Some patellas need resurfacing and some need replacing altogether. I've had two knee replacements and I still have both my knee caps.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
I get the impression from reading people's accounts here that most TKRs in the UK do not get a plastic button on the back of the patella, whereas most people in the US do seem to get one (including me). Maybe by 'new kneecap' he means mounting the plastic button?

It also seems that patella issues are more common in the UK than in the US, so maybe the plastic button's presence or absence is the key variable?

Just my unscientific observation - if anyone has better data it would be great to hear.
 
The question I would like to ask is the last time I spoke to my surgeon he said that he gives everyone a new knee cap when he carries out a tkr. Is this normal procedure or is it something only done by certain surgeons.

Some patellas need resurfacing and some need replacing altogether.
Maybe by 'new kneecap' he means mounting the plastic button?
Surgeons mislead us when they tell us we get a new kneecap, or that they replace it. There is no piece of hardware that replaces an entire patella. What they are referring to is the plastic button they put on the underside of the patella.
I think it depends on the damage your patella has.
Yes, this would usually determine whether or not they put in the plastic button. However I do think some surgeons just always add it.
 
In my area, surgeons will inspect the patella during the operation and then decide if it need resurfacing (ie a plastic button). In many cases they do not. Mine didn’t get resurfaced. But they often cauterize nerve endings to decrease the sensation in kneecap to reduce pain. I suspect they want to maintain as much original bone as they can, especially someone my age who might need a revision in my lifetime (putting a button on would result in needing to remove bone). My mom was 78 when she had bilateral TKA, and they gave her buttons. But she had very severe advanced OA. She is doing amazingly well.
 
@Jcx Hi! My LTKR was shortly after yours on 12-10-21 (2nd knee for me). I’m surprised he doesn’t want to see you at about 3 months out for xrays to make sure everything is looking good. Do you have a patient portal for your Dr. ? If so I’d send a message to him with all the questions I didn’t get to ask & you may also want to inquire about the 3 month out xrays. I would have been upset if I only was seen for 5 minutes. I understand they run late sometimes & I’m ok with waiting my turn but each person deserves whatever time they need to ask questions etc.
No, this isn’t right, s is a lack of duty of care. Make another appointment and complain at the same time.
Never heard anything so uncaring and frankly unprofessional. At the very least an X-ray is needed. Don’t be afraid to phone and make your feelings known.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Just past the two year mark and trying to stay positive. Having physio and taking naproxen but nothing seems to help. My doctor has sent a letter to Prof Deehan for a second opinion. Hopefully he can come up with some answers. Thanks Anniemof for the recommendation. Take Care jcx
 
I'm sorry you are still having troubles, @Jcx :console2: Keep us posted when you have any updates.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom