TKR A New Chapter Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. I think I know the answer.
I am due to go back to work on Christmas. I will be 12 weeks out from surgery. My job is walking all day for 8 hours with a lunch and two breaks and soon after returning I will be timed on how fast I can walk to finish a task. I feel great and am doing normal things now. Other than a lot of swelling 2 weeks ago I am doing great. I am prepared to lose my job if I cannot make it.
Here is my question. If the work causes pain, swelling in my knee will that damage it or just make complete recovery take longer?
If it only makes it take longer I am willing to do that but if it damages what has been done I am not.
Does anyone have an answer? My thought is it won't damage it only make total recovery take longer.
 
[Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins All things being equal, being on your feet and walking 8 hours a day will definitely delay full recovery. You cannot be sure that you will be able to function well at work if you are in pain---and with swelling and pain, walking fast may not be on option for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins
 
Thanks for the response bottomshollow.:) I will not walk fast. They can say I'm slow for awhile.

I saw my os today and he said I am doing wonderful. I will be 12 weeks on Monday. He wanted to put me on light duty or half time for awhile and I told him that was not an option.

Before he came into the exam room his assistant was taking my vitals and she told me she had surgery on her feet and was out for 12 weeks. Her doc wanted her on light duty also and since she and my os are employed by the hospital, she was told no by hospital HR. They appealed this decision with the corporate offices of the hospital in Texas and were told again no. They were going to transfer her to another position. This seems to be quite common and if possible I do not want to lose this job.:tantrum:

When I asked my os if my going back this soon would hurt the replacement, he said absolutely not but that I would want to scream with pain for about a month. He told me to wrap my knee and since I am off all meds, even over the counter anti inflammatories (first time in years :yay:) he wants me back on them when I go back and vicodin in the evenings. This is such a switch, him wanting me on pain meds and me not wanting them..:shrug:

When I asked him if this was going to slow my recovery he told me maybe not. It may even speed it up although it might be intolerable. He showed me a graph of pain and healing and how one catches up with the other. Was a bit confusing but if I get through the first month I might be better for it.

I'm hoping for the best for myself and everyone else facing similar situations.
 
[Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins
@crystals5, you are very fortunate to have such an understanding, practical, and honest OS. I do hope that you will be able to cope with your work situation without too much discomfort. If it gets to be a bit much, you know we're here when you need to vent your frustrations.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins
 
Thanks for the encouraging words bottomshollow. I know I am blessed. :flwrysmile:
 
Merry Christmas everyone. :santa sleigh: I hope all have a blessed and happy holiday. We celebrated ours on Monday.
I go back to work tomorrow 12 weeks out. I am quite nervous but also hopeful.
Have a wonderful holiday!:xmasdance:
 
I made it!!!!! Back to work. I worked for 5 days on my feet all day. To be honest my feet hurt way worse than my knee, probably because I'm so arthritic. Today I have some errands. I am using a cane today as my knee does hurt. Then I will ice and rest for 2 days before I have to do it all over again. But, I made it. :spin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins
bottomshollow
 
I made it through 2 full weeks at work. This week was better than last week. I am still very physically exhausted and sleep very fitfully for about 10-12 hours per night and have to drag myself out of bed in the morning. I walk all day and I sometimes must walk far and fast which is no problem. My feet ache but even that is getting better. I tried and use two different pairs of crocs during the day which are comfortable and help my deformed (from arthritis) toes a lot.

My extension still stinks. I don't really know if it matters except I KNOW its not at a good number. I hardly limp anymore so I check if my leg is straight every few days and even though it feels so much better the numbers are not getting any better. More than a few people have mentioned my walking is so much better this week and I hardly limp at all except maybe toward the end of the day. I'm very happy with the way things are progressing so maybe the extension should not be an issue for me.

For anyone worrying about going back to work I say try it knowing full well it might not work. I was so worried I would not make it. I made up my mind that I was willing to lose the job if that be the outcome but I don't have to. The pain is so much less than anything I could have hoped for. It was so bad before surgery. I listened to everyone on this forum and gave myself 12 weeks which was a miracle and would never have fought for that if it hadn't been strongly urged by everyone on this forum. Standing is an issue I do not know if I could handle. Standing in one spot is brutal. I sometimes have to do it for short periods and IT HURTS A LOT!!!!! As far as walking far and walking fast its demanding and I still am looking for a way to maybe retire soon but I don't think that's in the cards for me.

I am so much better since the knee surgery and I wish everyone worrying about returning to work the best of luck and if you don't have high expectations you might just be surprised.:dancy::spin:
 
It's possible to improve your extension. You can do leg hangs off the side of your bed with our without weights. Or walking will also help. As you're doing all that walking that goes with your job, make sure you have as long a stride as you can and that you are walking heel to toe with each step. Extension is important! It's what allows you to have proper gait.

You might also do hamstring stretches regularly several times each day. Muscles and ligaments in your legs can be quite tight from years of having bad knees.
 
Thanks Jamie. I will try using very long strides. I never knew that. I certainly walk enough to practice this.

I think I spoke too soon. I'm up since 200 am in some pain. Not a lot but enough to keep me up and I'm icing. My pain is on the inside of my knee, just where it was so bad before knee replacement. After my 5th day last week it hurt also so I guess 2 days off is going to help.

I sort of recall reading in a post here somewhere that when the extension is not good the inside of the knee will hurt. Does anyone know if this is true? This seems to be the only pain I have and it is about a 4 or 5 and only when I'm trying to sleep and nothing like it used to be.
 
It's pretty common to get your pain on the medial (inside) portion of your knee when you do have pain. I don't know that it would be specifically related to an extension problem. Just be sure to treat it as you're doing with rest, ice and something like Tylenol or other pain medication.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom